Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Joan Burnie: Legalising drugs will only end in more tragedy

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Daily Record

7 Feb 2014 00:01

With reader comments

AFTER the tragic death of Regane McColl last weekend, JOAN argues that legalising drugs such as ecstasy, will only increase the number fatalities.

REGANE McColl’s death was a terrible tragedy, a life full of hope and promise snuffed out because she allegedly swallowed a pretty pill marked with a jolly red dragon. What a waste. Not ecstasy but unimagined agony for her family and friends. Fear too from other parents that tomorrow, next week, next time, it will be their child laid out on a cold mortuary slab.

So what do we do about drugs?

Like many of those taking part in the inevitable phone-ins and online discussions, I too used to argue we should legalise the trade or at least the so-called softer stuff such as hash and, yes, ecstasy. It would, I thought, deliver a double whammy, first by knocking out the dealers and secondly, ensuring the drugs weren’t adulterated and cut with noxious deadly nasties. The kids would know what they were buying and if the government decided to tax it, better that than the local bad men making a mint.

But you know what? I’ve changed my mind. Not because of Regane.

Of course, it was horrible she died as she did – but despite the sound and fury over illegal drugs, they are not our biggest killers. Our most lethal but utterly legal coffin fillers remain good old fags and booze. They do the most damage. On the same night as Regane was rushed into A&E, the stats show that 70 per cent of the others brought in were there as a result of their drinking.

More...
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/joan-burnie-legalising-drugs-only-3118707

Who wrote this as it reads like a essay from a barely passed GED exam? .. but all the childish writing asside I say we look into the content. It is well advised that the harm a drug does is based on many factors.. mainly how damaging a drug in pure form is. As she states, alcohol is damn destructive.. to health and lives. But to make the distinction between the reason alcohol is so destructive, claiming its only because it is legal, thus failing to signify the the individual properties of the drug and their relation to outcomes associated with use makes this a logical fallacy. IMHO alcohol is the hardest and most life destroying drug on the planet. I this because it is legal.. partially IMO.. but in reality its because of it effects on the brain and health.

x is a broad term these days.. it seems to encompass a whole range of stuff thrown to together and pressed or sold as powder.. I guess I like to see a drugs or drug cocktails harm and benefit potential defined buy the drug(s) involved and not based on the harm that accompanies a totally unrelated legal drug or jumbled together wit mixtures of totally unrelated drugs who are sold under the ever encompassing xtcy name.

also as the prohibition of safer substances has lead to the promotion and development of seemingly more dangerous substances and combinations I would love to hear why prabition should continue.:?