• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Fewer teenagers taking drugs because they understand the risks

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Fewer teenagers taking drugs because they understand the risks, Says Roseanna Cunningham

Daily record

Mar 27 2012

With reader comments

DRUG use among adults aged over 16 has fallen over the last three years, according to a survey. Figures in the Scottish Crime and Justice Survey show a "statically significant" drop from 7.6 per cent in 2008-9 to 6.6 per cent in 2010-11. The results are taken from a questionnaire filled in by 10,999 people. As well as the annual figures, the proportion of adults taking drugs in the last month of each year dropped from 4.4 per cent to 3.5 per cent. Community Safety Minister Roseanna Cunningham said: "I believe a better general understanding of the risks associated with taking drugs is contributing to the fall.

More...
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/h...are-taking-drugs-survey-shows-86908-23803565/

Less people taking drugs? Always a good thing! As much as I love chemicals, I always tell people the risks, and never recommend indulging in too much, or too many.

I never understand why harm reduction isn't adopted as an official policy here in America. Education is by far the best antkdrug policy.

The same reason why when I went to high school (about 6 years ago) we had an "abstinence policy"!!! And my highschool wasn't a "Christian" school or anything, they just believed in abstinence! Even though everybody was having sex and a couple girls got pregnant too...America is blind, sometimes it feels like it is on purpose too

"Roseanna Cunningham" just "believes" it's due to education. She may be right, but I'm not sure if that is just her assumption or it is actually based on the answers given in the questionnaire.