Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Drug addict dad asks to be jailed

edgarshade

Bluelighter
This is Staffordshire

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

with reader comments

A FATHER who started taking drugs when he was 11 has begged magistrates to send him to prison. Matthew Scully, aged 24, said he needed to be locked up so he could 'sort himself out'. Scully appeared before North Staffordshire magistrates yesterday after admitting stealing from a decoy car set up by police.

The court heard the Punto had been left unlocked near a doctor's surgery with valuable items on display. Zoe Speake, prosecuting, said: "A police officer left a decoy vehicle with various items including a Tom Tom sat nav and an Apple iPhone in sight. "Once the vehicle had been broken into CCTV footage was retrieved. "This defendant was identified and arrested. "When he was interviewed he admitted taking the items and said he did not know why he had done it, and that he was bored."
"He has begged me to ask you to send him to custody today. "He broke down and has been very emotional while I have been speaking to him. He says he needs to go away to sort himself out. "He told me that he has dropped the children off at school this morning and told them he won't be coming home today, but he will see them in a few weeks."

More...
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...ml?dwrMeth=addComment&persist=true&afterReg=Y

My heart goes out to this guy. It sounds like he loves his children greatly and he wants help. I just can't help but think that prison isn't the best avenue for his treatment, but I'm assuming that an inpatient treatment program is not in his budget.

I hope they get this guy some help instead of locking him up. Maybe it will set a precedent. However fact is even non-addicts would be better off receiving therapy of some sort. Jails just don't change people in a constructive manner.

Clandestine lithium polluted water isn't the best environment to go clean in.

Is it just me or is leaving an unlocked car with several electronic devices (worth several hundred £) on display just a little bit too close to entrapment?

I'm not a theif, but if someone left that shit in an unlocked car with nobody about - yeah i'd snaffle it too! Or maybe I wouldn't cause nobodies actually stupid enough to do that. -.-

What a sad state of affairs it is when someone has to beg for a prison sentence so he has a chance to get clean.
Surely this is proof we need more rehab facilities?

prison.... to get off drugs???? this is in the UK no? rehab is free..... maybe a slightly better option

I really hope this guy can get some proper treatment. The way the courts are supposed to process people like him shows how broken our system is. This is not a man who should go to jail, I believe hes only saying that because of self guilt. This is someone who needs treatment so that he can continue to provide for, and be there for, his family.

Is it just me or is leaving an unlocked car with several electronic devices (worth several hundred £) on display just a little bit too close to entrapment?

I'm not a theif, but if someone left that shit in an unlocked car with nobody about - yeah i'd snaffle it too! Or maybe I wouldn't cause nobodies actually stupid enough to do that. -.-

I was going to say the same thing.