• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Can a hallucinogen from Africa cure addiction?

edgarshade

Bluelighter
BBC News

13 April 2012 Last updated at 11:28
By Stephanie Hegarty BBC World Service

Since the 1960s a disparate group of scientists and former drug addicts have been advocating a radical treatment for addiction - a hallucinogen called ibogaine, derived from an African plant, that in some cases seems to obliterate withdrawal symptoms from heroin, cocaine and alcohol. So why isn't it widely used?

"Radical options are needed," says David Nutt, head of the UK's Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs, but he maintains some scepticism about so-called wonder cures. "The history of medicine is littered with people doing interesting, challenging things, but when you do proper control tests they reveal a massive placebo effect," he says.

What is needed, he says, is a single blind study in which one group of addicts takes a standardised dose of the drug and another group takes a placebo, both followed by a full 12-step detox treatment plan. He estimates that would cost about $2.37 million (£1.5 million).

More...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17666589

Somebody should do this research.
It could really help people.

I have never tried ibogaine, but I hope to do so someday.

Yeah, I've read reports and heard anecdotally that it works to end addictive behavior patterns. (perhaps similar to lsd and psilocybin?)

I always thought it was a bit like hypnotism for giving up smoking, it works but sooner or later, without reinforcing sessions, the effect slips away

everyone should be able to agree on this: there is no reason to keep iboga (the plant) illegal.

In countries where it is legal, how much iboga "abuse" is seen?

If they start selling ibogaine at US gas stations under brand names like HARDCORE then maybe that'll cause a bunch of bad scenes--but legalize the plant!

I saw on this documentary called "drugs, inc" that some people do use it to treat addictions, but it is quite dangerous and the patient needs to be extremely regulated or says the guy doing DIY ibogaine treatment, still would be no problem for a hospital environment so I don't see why it shouldn't be used.

Iboga is not a drug you abuse.... it is stupid that it is illegal.....shit people were smarter in the Ancient Rome then they are now....

Last edited:
A single blind study where one group does the ibogaine and the other group does a placebo?

Can you imagine, the one group doing the placebo would be just chillin like normal and the other group would be tripping balls wondering what dimension they were in, ha. I would say there is a slight difference...

numbers said:
In countries where it is legal, how much iboga "abuse" is seen?

AFAIK the abuse potential is no greater than, probably much less than, traditional psychedelics. It's really intense, not fun material. If you merely mean how often is it used in a psychedelic capacity or by how many, no idea, I have not researched this drug except in a very shallow manner.

Also, it is not the panacea the true believers claim it is in terms of addiction treatment, but a potentially valuable tool for a potential detox arsenal.

I would like to try ibogaine but i don't think it's a cure all as some people think it is. It may work for some people but it won't work for everyone. Just like every other addiction treatment really. It could be a valuable tool when used correctly though. In Canada it is legal but i am pretty sure it costs a fortune.