• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - 'Benzo Fury' legal high killed graduate Jennifer Whiteley as she celebrated her

edgarshade

Bluelighter
'Benzo Fury' legal high killed graduate Jennifer Whiteley as she celebrated her new job helping drug addicts

Telegraph
9:10PM GMT 27 Nov 2013

Coroner warns that “even toxicologists are struggling to get to grips” with dangers of legal highs after psychology graduate died

A coroner has warned that “even toxicologists are struggling to get to grips” with the dangers of legal highs after a psychology graduate died from a cocktail of drink and drugs while celebrating her new job helping drug addicts. Jennifer Whiteley, 27, a support worker, began sweating profusely and was taken ill after she and her boyfriend Andrew Tunnah took “bombs” of Benzo Fury at her family home while her parents were on holiday. The former Roman Catholic girls’ school pupil was taken to hospital but died shortly afterwards.

Only days earlier she had been hired to work with an NHS trust helping drug users and people with depression. The incident occurred in July, just a month after Benzo Fury, also known as 5APB and 5MAPB, was outlawed. An inquest was told Miss Whiteley, who graduated with a master’s degree in health psychology at Staffordshire University, had been “really happy” at being offered a job at Cheadle Royal Hospital.

She had medical articles published in the Journal of Health Psychology and had applied for a doctorate course to become a clinical health psychologist. The inquest heard that after picking her 29-year old boyfriend up from his house they purchased cocaine plus vodka and black cherry cider before going back to her family’s semi-detached home in Sale, Greater Manchester.

More...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...l-high-killed-graduate-Jennifer-Whiteley.html

Daily Mirror
Cocaine, vodka and legal high binge killed woman celebrating her first job - helping drug users
27 Nov 2013 17:54
Paul Byrne

With reader comments
Jennifer Whiteley had a pint of vodka and orange, cocaine and took “bombs” of legal high called Benzo Fury, which was banned just after her death

A trainee psychologist died from a cocktail of drink and drugs as she celebrated landing her first job – helping drug users.

Jennifer Whiteley, 27, had a pint of vodka and orange then took “bombs” of a legal high called Benzo Fury , which was banned just after her death. Her boyfriend, who told her inquest he bought the drug on the net, said she then took cocaine, turned red and started sweating. Andrew Tunnah said he tried to put her in the shower to cool her down at her parents’ home in Sale, Greater Manchester, and then called an ambulance.

Medics found her unconscious and twitching in the bathroom at 5.51am last July and rushed her to hospital but she died soon afterwards. Just days before her death Jennifer, who had a masters degree in health psychology, was hired as a drug counsellor by an NHS Trust. Tests found nine different drugs in her system.

Toxicologist Julie Evans said: “All these put a lot of strain on the heart. Benzo Fury can cause neurological problems and raise body temperature dangerously, as well as increase blood pressure and risk of seizure.” Benzo Fury was outlawed over health fears.

South Manchester coroner Joanne Kearsley recorded a misadventure verdict and said: “You can’t know the potential impact of these designer drugs.”

More...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jennifer-whiteley-died-cocaine-vodka-2858328

(Bold emphasis mine)

Why, out of all the drugs she took, including a PINT of vodka, are they blaming Benzo Fury???

Simple. They want to make the legal highs as unattractive as possible - putting them in a story that involved alcohol and cocaine and pointing the finger at the legal high as the actual cause of death makes them look really bad in comparison to alcohol and cocaine.

If I didn't know what I know about drugs and was reading that article, that's the association that I would make - the legal high was more dangerous than the illegal one - although I don't see how that's beneficial in the case of cocaine. 8)

That said, it says a lot considering what field she was going into. I'm surprised they even printed that.

Unforunate she lost her life but that seems like very risky behavior.

You figure with a college degree she would look up proper drug saftey.

Simple. They want to make the legal highs as unattractive as possible - putting them in a story that involved alcohol and cocaine and pointing the finger at the legal high as the actual cause of death makes them look really bad in comparison to alcohol and cocaine.
with the amount of times I mixed booze and blow I kinda agree with them.. though it was probably a combination of all them.