• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Art teacher from Swansea jailed for drug smuggling is banned from classroom

edgarshade

Bluelighter
By South Wales Evening Post
Posted: May 09, 2014

With reader comments

AN art teacher from Swansea jailed for drug smuggling has been banned from the classroom after claiming he was caught with only "small amounts". Edward Bollom, 32, was found with LSD, cannabis and mescaline as he travelled to Guernsey on holiday. Bollom, who spent lessons "lying in his chair listening to Bob Marley", was jailed for 18 months for importing Class A and B drugs. He told a disciplinary panel he should not be banned from the classroom because Guernsey's drug laws were too harsh.

He said: "I'm not here to argue the facts - I fully admit committing the offences. "I hope I can continue to inspire creativity in children and I am a dedicated honest man who made some wrong choices. The small amounts of the substances found in my car wouldn't have had me convicted in England and Wales. Guernsey has a very strict zero tolerance policy towards these things."

Bollom had taught art at La Mare de Carteret School in Guernsey but was not working there when he was caught with the drugs. He had moved back to Swansea but decided to visit friends on the island - 120 miles from mainland Britain. Bollom had taken a ferry from Poole in Dorset when he was stopped by Guernsey Border Agency staff. He claimed he had nothing to declare but a drug sniffing dog found a stash of substances in his car. Officers found cannabis hidden in a bag of coffee, Bollom also admitted hiding mescaline and LSD under the front seat of his vehicle.

More...
http://www.southwales-eveningpost.c...gling-banned/story-21080160-detail/story.html

Panel chairwoman Tracy Jones told the tribunal in Cardiff: "This is a sad case but the reputation of the teaching profession is more important than the position of any one person.

"These offences were particularly serious using highly damaging and serious drugs while a registered teacher.

"The behaviour illustrated was fundamentally unacceptable."

In what way.. you are trying to prevent a teacher from teaching because of your ridiculous ideas. Take a look at many of the great artists in history. A great deal of them used drugs. Your whats sad and pathetic Tracy Jones.

And another victim of the utterly failed drug war is taken.

Poor guy! I remember reading about this bust on the Guernsey Press website when he got sentenced.

Very harsh indeed for less than 4 oz of weed and a few other bits and bobs of personal, but that's Guernsey for you, their sentencing policy is draconian!

So sad that he's now been punished further by being banned from teaching..

Anyone from the area explain the diff's with gurnsey and like other places where he claimed drug laws were leesss strict?

Sigh. I fucking hate our society and Tracy Jones illustrates exactly what's wrong with it.

Either way it sucks BC the guy happened to bring a minute amt of chems. Its the us the would prob want to throw this guy in jail for a decade. Plus I'm the states if you get hustling in a church or school zone they will totally have your ass.

Anyone from the area explain the diff's with gurnsey and like other places where he claimed drug laws were leesss strict?

Guernsey are very draconian with their sentences. Stuff that would easily be considered personal use elsewhere will get you a prison sentence

Importation of any amount of illegal drugs, even an ounce of weed, you're likely to to get a custodial sentence, and you have to serve 2/3rds of the sentence there before being considered for early release.

Street prices are very high. £25 a gram for soapbar or poor flat press moroccan.

Not satisfied just taking the liberty of people shouldn't be anywhere near prison, Guernsey's prison has now also banned tobacco which must be a fucker for any smoker trying to deal with their situation.

It's not surprising that Guernsey has some of the highest levels of alcoholism in the world.

Not a good place to go if you're a drug user!