Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - New CDC Numbers Show the Drug War Continues to Make Opioids Deadlier

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
New CDC Numbers Show the Drug War Continues to Make Opioids Deadlier
Jacob Sullum
Reason
August 15th, 2018

The CDC's latest estimates of opioid-related fatalities in 2017 show that the war on drugs continues to drive people toward deadlier substances. Based on preliminary estimates, the total number of deaths involving opioids (the blue line below) rose by 8.5 percent last year, from about 45,000 to about 49,000. Yet deaths involving heroin (gray line) and prescription analgesics (yellow) fell by 4 percent and 2 percent, respectively. The increase was due entirely to a 37 percent jump in deaths involving synthetic opioids other than methadone (orange), a category that nowadays consists mainly of illicit fentanyl and fentanyl analogs. That increase follows even bigger jumps of more than 70 percent in 2015 and more than 100 percent in 2016.

NSFW:
opioid-deaths-2014-2017-CDC.jpg

"The death toll reflects two major factors," writes New York Times health reporter Margot Sanger-Katz. "A growing number of Americans are using opioids, and those drugs are becoming more deadly. Experts who are closely monitoring the epidemic say the second factor most likely explains the bulk of the increased number of overdoses last year." That much seems clear, since in recent years opioid-related deaths have been rising much faster than the number of opioid users.

Between 2010 and 2016, for example, the number of heroin deaths increased roughly eight times as fast as the number of heroin users. To put it another way, heroin was eight times deadlier in 2016 than it was in 2010. The proliferation of fentanyl-fortified heroin is the most obvious explanation. The most recent numbers suggest that such mixtures have been eclipsed by "heroin" that consists entirely of fentanyl (which is much more potent than heroin) or its analogs (which are even more potent).

Read the full story here.

Glad to see this. The Iron Law of Prohibition isn’t complicated, but it is certainly deadly

So the genral public and givernmemt will catch onto these facts in about 15 years then?

Good Lord!

When will they learn that Tylenol and other so called "safe" drugs are the absolute worst of the worst and people in pain will try and fight for their lives by any means necessary?

Why do they continue to withhold things like morphine that do not hurt a persons body?

I think there is a monopoly on this crap. Too much money being made off of other human beings misery!

Keep shouting from the rooftops friends! We will not go quietly!!

Good Lord!

When will they learn that Tylenol and other so called "safe" drugs are the absolute worst of the worst and people in pain will try and fight for their lives by any means necessary?

Why do they continue to withhold things like morphine that do not hurt a persons body?

I think there is a monopoly on this crap. Too much money being made off of other human beings misery!

Keep shouting from the rooftops friends! We will not go quietly!!

We are badly losing this particular fight right now.

We are badly losing this particular fight right now.

Yes we are.

Very bad news lately. Do you think they are serious about the hospitals not even having enough medication for surgery and cancer patients? I revoke that as a part of creation. That is my vote!

Gives me nightmares over how many are suffering excruciating pain. These people have not suffered intense pain who are making these laws but I guarantee you, they will be. This life is short. Forever is a long time.

Yes we are.

Very bad news lately. Do you think they are serious about the hospitals not even having enough medication for surgery and cancer patients? I revoke that as a part of creation. That is my vote!

Gives me nightmares over how many are suffering excruciating pain. These people have not suffered intense pain who are making these laws but I guarantee you, they will be. This life is short. Forever is a long time.

That'll be insane.