• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News U.S. - Matthew Perry toxicology report reveals cause of death was "acute effects of ketamine"

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Matthew Perry toxicology report reveals cause of death was "acute effects of ketamine"
Cara Tabachnick
CBS News
December 15th, 2023

Matthew Perry, the beloved "Friends" sitcom star, died from the "acute effects of ketamine," according to an autopsy report released Friday by the Los Angeles County medical examiner.

Perry, 54, was found unresponsive at his home on Oct. 28 "floating face down in the heated end" of the pool, the autopsy report said. The report says the death was accidental and that no signs of foul play were suspected. His cause of death is listed as the "acute effects of ketamine," with contributing factors listed as "drowning, coronary artery disease and buprenorphine effects." (Buprenorphine is a medication used to treat opioid use disorder.)

The actor had gone out to play pickleball around 11 a.m. the morning of his death and returned home two hours later, witnesses told police in reports that were included with the autopsy. His assistant had gone out to run errands shortly afterward — the last time Perry was seen alive — and upon return found the actor dead, the report said. Police pronounced him dead at 4:17 p.m., the report said.

Just over an hour after midnight on Oct. 29, Perry was transported from his house to the Forensic Science Center. Perry's autopsy was performed later that day.

Read the full story here.

The way this is described is a little misleading. I don't usually think of drowning as a "contributing factor" to someone's death. It sounds like he drowned on ketamine, which, at least based on the DitM stories that have popped up over the years, seems to be the most common way to die on ketamine. "Acute effects of ketamine" makes it sound like an overdose, but he would almost certainly have woken up alive the next morning if he hadn't been in the pool.

How'd he take it if autopsy came back inconclusive? They'd be able to detect insufflation I thought? Injections leave marks so that rascal either boofed it or chugged it?

The way this is described is a little misleading. I don't usually think of drowning as a "contributing factor" to someone's death. It sounds like he drowned on ketamine, which, at least based on the DitM stories that have popped up over the years, seems to be the most common way to die on ketamine. "Acute effects of ketamine" makes it sound like an overdose, but he would almost certainly have woken up alive the next morning if he hadn't been in the pool.

I would tend to agree but this coroner seems to think the amount of ketamine in his blood combined with his coronary artery disease, COPD, buprenorphine, lorazepam and hot water could have lead to death on its own even apart from the drowning. Given the coroner is far more qualified to make such a determination than myself, I will defer to his opinion in this case.

Incidentally, what are DitM stories?

How'd he take it if autopsy came back inconclusive? They'd be able to detect insufflation I thought? Injections leave marks so that rascal either boofed it or chugged it?

They're not entirely sure how he took it but some ketamine was found in his stomach leading them to believe he took it orally. This would also explain the lack of ketamine paraphernalia found at the scene.

They're not entirely sure how he took it but some ketamine was found in his stomach leading them to believe he took it orally. This would also explain the lack of ketamine paraphernalia found at the scene.
I've only snorted and I'm pretty sure that's why I can't get it to agree with me. I guess oral would explain it more as an accident rather than suicide.

It was the illuminati, lol
Before his death he was interviewed and talked about being sober and helping others.
I will try to be nice: IS it possible he had it in him because of a legit medical reason?
Does ketamine cause light headed ness, blood vessel constriction or any kind of drunken like stupor?

He was getting daily medical infusions but he had different K in his system (too long since last doctor visit). I think it was the first time he tried drinking it and he took too much. Just my best guess.

It was the illuminati, lol
Before his death he was interviewed and talked about being sober and helping others.
I will try to be nice: IS it possible he had it in him because of a legit medical reason?
Does ketamine cause light headed ness, blood vessel constriction or any kind of drunken like stupor?

It's used as an anesthetic so of course it causes a drunken like stupor...

I laughed so hard when I read " that rascal either boofed it or chugged it?" One end or the other I guess. Thank you for the laugh.

Millions of people used to watch, "Friends".
Trust me, you ain't even close to being the only one who thought he was a huge dork.

they never heard of drip lol

Glad I'm not the only one who thought he was a huge dork.
f.jpg

He was an advocate for sobriety, he had substance abuse issues. He would've been very secretive if he had dove off the wagon. How many people who are alcoholics/ drug addicts, secretly slip up. This time it cost him. Unless a legit doctor was involved, he would have tried to hide it. Relapses come in many form and guess what a lot of people in recovery die from accidental overdoses. As a celebrity who was vocal about sobriety, he would have tried to be especially sneaky.

It can take awhile in Canada to see a doctor and then only briefly. That's what I keep hearing about Canada's once heavily praised medical system. Unless, maybe you are rich.

in Vancouver the poor get very good service. myo activation, recreation therapy, good doctors. Free over the counter stuff....

they even refer you to rehab, no matter how much some people deny it.