U.S. Customs and international mail (UPDATED!)

ziger

Greenlighter
I am not trying to find out how to trick customs or anything illegal, I am just trying to find out the legal procedures that U.S. customs or law enforcement has to go thought to seize international mail.

I will tell you the situation before I ask any questions.

A few months ago I ordered a small amount of some unscheduled chemicals from another country to the U.S. the person sent them though a private delivery service. They became missing just after they scanned them in to the country. I called the shipping company and asked them what happened and they said sorry they are lost.
So the person I ordered from sent another package, which turned up missing again. Both of the packages have been missing for more then 30 days.

I am wondering if they could have been seized by customs or law enforcement?

I heard somewhere that when U.S. customs or law enforcement seize something they have to contact you within 30 days? Is this true?

Basically I am wondering if someone might knock on my door someday and want to talk to me about the package or if there is some conspiracy and a chance I am under investigation?
Can the U.S custom secretly seize things and just say they were lost? And then come after you later?

I've never had a package seized but I run in these circles, and it's my understanding that for smaller things they generally just send you a "Love Letter", which is simply a document stating that your package has been seized, etc, etc. I doubt you have anything to worry about except lost money / goods.

This is a law enforcement question. It can stay open so long as we don't get into a discussion about the mechanics of smuggling contraband, including grey market items.

But when I hear about scheduled substances that went missing in transit, I always think of the Eleusis story that was posted a long time ago. Eleusis, allegedly, was a chemist who got caught doing MDMA synth. It's a good read, even if you're not interested in crime:
http://designer-drugs.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/eleusis/memoirs.html

As for the original question, I don't have a good answer.

US Mail & Airport Searches

I may be paranoid, but I too have had some packages for pharmacueticals go missing and never delivered. Not long after I got over that phase of my life, I started getting searched by US customs upon return from every international flight (except Canada & Mexico). I fly A LOT to Asia and the search is a hassle and obviously for drugs. I used to return with stashes of benzos from Thailand especially and thank God I stopped before my first (ever) search.

Anyone else have this experience. Coincidence? I do go to some "do not travel to" places. But, honestly - every time? Something is up.

BentoBox said:
I may be paranoid, but I too have had some packages for pharmacueticals go missing and never delivered. Not long after I got over that phase of my life, I started getting searched by US customs upon return from every international flight (except Canada & Mexico).
I would think that they'd pay special attention to Mexico if the searches were related to the missing packages, so it might still be coincidental.

I've never been searched for drugs coming back internationally (the one time I was searched I was coming from Hawaii where I had tried to go around the agriculture inspection - they went though my bags but failed to find a half oz. of Maui buds hidden in a pant leg).

There has to be a reason if you're being searched every time.

Ughster said:
I've never had a package seized but I run in these circles, and it's my understanding that for smaller things they generally just send you a "Love Letter", which is simply a document stating that your package has been seized, etc, etc. I doubt you have anything to worry about except lost money / goods.

As Ughster said, I also "run in these circles" so to speak and I can say pretty confidently that you would be UNLUCKY to even get a "Love Letter" in your situation. Typically, if they seize a package at customs that doesn't have a huge bulk order in it of "gray" drugs or even a sizable quantity of illicit drugs, it's probably going to be thrown out or taken home as a gift basket by one of the customs agents. I'd be a LOT more worried if you were trying to import precursor chemicals or lab equipment, for example.

Oh, and I've also found that it varies by what part of the country you live in. Apparently the East Coast has it the easiest, the South is pretty easy too, the Midwest and Northeast are a tad more difficult, and the West Coast (especially California) is the hardest to get shipments through to.

A follow up on my lost packages:

I live with a girlfriend and we were both gone for the day a few days ago. I came home and my girlfriend and 5 DEA agents were in my house. They said we need to talk to you, I said do you have a warrant they said no but your girlfriend consented to a search.
Come to find out they went to my girlfriends work told her I was going to be busted for illegal chemicals used to manufacture drugs and she would be charged with international smuggling drug production and various other thing unless she coroperated. She be lived them got scared took them to the house gave them a few unscheduled chemicals and told them I was using them for personal use.
I told the agents they had no warrant and I had nothing to say to them, the chemicals they have are no illegal and not being used for human consuption.They said we need to know that you are using them and not a drug dealer and we need to know how long and how many orders.I told the bullshit time to go.
They left a DEA form that said they had confiscated 2 bags of white powder for lab inspection.

I was not worried about the package because it was a small amount I didn't think they couldn't bust down my door but it seems they have other ways.

If you have a lost package with gray area stuff I would say you and the sender are under investigation.

Another thing about all this is the shipper had alot of stories about how it was lost how they were serching for it ect. So I would say they are working with with the LE 100%. When you call the to ask for a package you are probly just filling in blanks for them.

I don't know why they would waste time with me they got less then 2 grams of chmicals that are unscheduled.

Be carefull guys and let anyone with access to your home know never to consent to a illegal search!!!.

ziger said:
I live with a girlfriend and we were both gone for the day a few days ago. I came home and my girlfriend and 5 DEA agents were in my house.
thanks for the update.

the usual advice applies: do not answer police or DEA questions. do not consent to further searches. get a lawyer if they charge you.

ziger said:
...They said we need to know that you are using them and not a drug dealer and we need to know how long and how many orders...They left a DEA form that said they had confiscated 2 bags of white powder for lab inspection...
Interesting in that it seems that their interest is whether the products are for sale or not--and that possession might not be something they could even pursue legally (at least on a practical level).

That said, I find it abhorrent (though not surprising in the least) that these spineless lowlifes would threaten your girlfriend in such a manner (and at her job, no less!)--the image of one-eyed pitbulls comes to mind.

In any event, Mr. Ziger, you handled the situation extremely well. I hope that it doesn't proceed any further.