• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Billboard advocating jury nullification concerns local prosecutors

^ It in't free though and it isn't always immediate, some people take real pride in the appearance of their property and it is certainly not trivial to them to have some assholes ugly tag scribbled all over their fence or wall. It is hardly the worst crime ever but I would argue there is certainly a victim in a lot of cases. For the record I am not one of those people, just saying they exist.

TEN FOOT POLE
"My Wall"

A middle class mom crouches on the hill
Eyes behind binoculars she sits so still
Spots a boy going under the freeway whispers in her radio going for the kill

chorus
Open your eyes! You're fighting kids who only want to make their mark
Everything else you took away you left them in the dark open your eyes!
Your war is not about beauty it's about rights and choice: speech isn't free
It is only for those who can afford to raise their voice

Say it is pollution they say it is a sin
Mobilize their force to stop the demon within
They say it is not a battle it is a full scale war
Recruiting volunteers like never before

chorus

Say it is so ugly they say it is an eyesore
But remember they're the ones who build department stores
Put ads on the benches signs on the windows
Asphalt where the grass used to grow

-Lyrics : Scott Radinsky also known as that retired pitcher from the LA Dodgers (and other teams), too bad he was too good at baseball, his band was pretty awesome and that's probably their best song and it's the first thing that came to mind when people are mad about graffiti.

Last edited:
This post is for poledriver:

Injury

A comprehensive term for any wrong or harm done by one individual to another individual's body, rights, reputation, or property. Any interference with an individual's legally protected interest.

A civil injury is any damage done to person or property that is precipitated by a breach of contract, Negligence, or breach of duty. The law of torts provides remedies for injury caused by negligent or intentional acts.

An accidental injury is an injury to the body caused unintentionally. Within the meaning of Workers' Compensation acts, it is an injury occurring in the course of employment.

One who is injured might be able to recover damages against the individual who caused him or her harm, since the law seeks to provide a remedy for every injury.

West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

With impoverished defendants being offered reduced jail time if they plead guilty or otherwise receive huge jail time, the "justice" system has shifted power away from juries and judges, and toward DAs.

I really like this advertising campaign. Most people who do jury duty don't know their rights. You can vote for acquittal for any reason. It's not uncommon for specific jurors to bully the rest, so it's important to stand up for your beliefs. The only difficult part is that if everyone disagrees with you, then they're going to grill you into coming to their side. Imagine everyone being held up for hours and hours because one person won't change their mind? That's a lot of pressure for that one person.

Well I guess it's not a 'victimless' crime then, graffiti vandalism I mean. Not that I care about it much personally.

Last edited:
TEN FOOT POLE
"My Wall"

A middle class mom crouches on the hill
Eyes behind binoculars she sits so still
Spots a boy going under the freeway whispers in her radio going for the kill

chorus
Open your eyes! You're fighting kids who only want to make their mark
Everything else you took away you left them in the dark open your eyes!
Your war is not about beauty it's about rights and choice: speech isn't free
It is only for those who can afford to raise their voice

Say it is pollution they say it is a sin
Mobilize their force to stop the demon within
They say it is not a battle it is a full scale war
Recruiting volunteers like never before

chorus

Say it is so ugly they say it is an eyesore
But remember they're the ones who build department stores
Put ads on the benches signs on the windows
Asphalt where the grass used to grow

-Lyrics : Scott Radinsky also known as that retired pitcher from the LA Dodgers (and other teams), too bad he was too good at baseball, his band was pretty awesome and that's probably their best song and it's the first thing that came to mind when people are mad about graffiti.

Practically every kid I used to hang around in High School was into graffiti, I can tell you that the overwhelming majority were not trying to raise their voice or exercise any form of freedom of speech. They just wanted to scribble their ugly tag on as many places as they possibly could. I personally never understood the attraction to the whole tagging thing. I am willing to admit when I was much younger and immature I did part take in some graffiti, I can honestly say that I was not motivated by any ideas of freedom of speech, I wasn't even trying to conform to my friends, the notion of fucking up someone else's property honestly just seemed kinda funny at the time and I did it. I am not proud of that shit but it happened. I am not condemning everyone who ever tagged or graffiti'd, I have done it myself and most of my friends used to, but in my mind it is bullshit to romanticise it as the only form of expression that kids have access to or suggest this is a primary motivating factor in why it is done.

Even if that shit were true it doesn't take away the fact that you actually don't have the right to go and deface other peoples property. Why should they have to pay to get their own property looking how it was before some little shit came and sprayed shit all over it?

For the record I do enjoy artistic graffiti and that is a different thing entirely, however, I do prefer people keep that to public property because it still isn't fair on private property owners who have no say in this stuff being put up all over their stuff.

The length this post is getting to I might actually give people the wrong impression I give half a fuck about graffiti or vandalism, I don't, I just don't agree that it is a victimless crime or that it is some necessary form of freedom of speech.

You can't deny some graffiti actually are imprints of people voicing unpopular political opinions, Ten Foot Pole was a punk band, their kinda scene differs from the wigger gangsta wannabe we have seen from the late 90's and on, I'm pretty sure political statements as graffiti was much more common in their time (that was in 1994 and about how outraged soccer moms were going outside forming "tasks forces" to spot any kid doing any graffiti. I'll agree a lot of bullshit gets done, but I've seen a lot of awesome messages spread on a wall when I was younger. Less and less these days though...

Billboard Bandits

[video=youtube_share;gyT23gqjZLU]http://youtu.be/gyT23gqjZLU[/video]

The Real Oblivion I admit that *some* are, but as I stated in my post IO believe the overwhelming majority are not doing it for those reasons. On the whole graffiti really isn't a positive thing in the community, most of it is ugly and has no purpose other than making some stupid name some kid thought up for himself visible in some supposedly but rarely actually stylish font. I am not saying it doesn't have it's place, I am just saying to romanticise the majority of it as having some sort of message or being about anything other than being rebellious little shits I think is pointless and missing the fact that most of it isn't.