Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.K. - Prince William discusses 'massive question' of legalising drugs

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Prince William discusses 'massive question' of legalising drugs
Nicola Slawson
The Guardian
September 20th, 2017

The debate around the legalisation of drugs has been raging for decades with everyone from rock stars to the British Medical Journal wading in. Now a member of the royal family has joined the discussion.

But it was neither Prince Harry, famous for being a bit of a hellraiser, nor his notoriously outspoken father Prince Charles who brought the subject up but the normally reserved William who asked former addicts the “massive question” – should the ban on drugs be lifted?

The Duke of Cambridge spoke about the subject while on a visit to drug addiction charity the Spitalfields Crypt Trust in east London.

William asked three people who have been helped by the charity their opinions on whether drugs should be legalised.

He did not give his personal opinion but told the trio it was a “question I had to ask”.

Read the full story here.

Prince William asks if drugs should be legalised

Prince William asks if drugs should be legalised

Recovering addict tells Duke of Cambridge that legalisation of drugs is 'a good idea' and that money is being wasted on 'drug laws'

iii-prince-william-britains-prince-.jpg

Prince William has asked recovering addicts whether they think drugs should be legalised.

The Duke of Cambridge’s unexpected intervention in the drugs debate came during a visit to the east London-based Spitalfields Crypt Trust (SCT), which provides services for alcohol and drug addicts and supports them in trying to get clean.

The first recovering addict to answer told him she supported the legalisation of drugs.

Speaking to three recovering addicts in an art room used by the Shoreditch-based charity, Prince William said: “Can I ask you a very massive question - it's a big one. There's obviously a lot of pressure growing in areas about legalising drugs and things like that. What are your individual opinions on that?

"I know it's a big question, but you seem like the key people to actually get a very good idea as to, you know, what are the big dangers there - what are the feelings?"

Heather Blackburn, the first to reply, said she thought the legalisation of drugs was "a good idea" and that money was wasted on "drug laws".

The 49-year-old added: "Most of the people I've known in recovery, 95 per cent, had massive trauma and terrible stuff happen to them and using drugs to cope and then you get put in prison, you don't get the facilities and the actual help .....

Continued with comments -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-cambridge-asks-addicts-illegal-a7955821.html