Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Tylenol sinus and MDMA dangerous?

Need4speed

Bluelighter
my friend is intown tonight to visit

he has taken a Tylenol sinus tabs a few hours ago that contain phenylephrine hcl

if he wanted to roll with MDMA tonight are there any dangers? I researched google and didn't find anything solid saying yes or no

It may be a little worrisome.

Phenylephrine is an alpha-1 agonist, which results in significant vasoconstriction of blood vessels, which can cause hypertension.

MDMA is also a sympathomimetic that has both vasoconstrictive and inotropic effects via its release of dopamine and norepinephrine, so it increases cardiac contractility as well as vasoconstriction, which can significantly increase blood pressure.

Taking the two together can dramatically increase blood pressure, which can result in a hypertensive crisis. Assuming your friend has normal kidney and liver functions, the half-life of phenylephrine is about 2-3 hours, so you'd want to wait at least 12 hours after taking the phenyephrine for it to be effectively cleared by your body.

Half life in the body is about three hours according to wikipedia.
As far as I can see the main danger is hypertension.
Mdma also raises blood pressure.
So basically did he take many pills? If yes blood pressure might be on the high side to be safe.
But if he has a healthy heart and vascular system not much harm likely.
Also how long ago? More than 3 hours ago means that only half the original amount of the drug is left in the body.
Finally this stuff may be associated with panic attacks. Again the question of time and quantity comes into play.
A couple of pills more than three hours is unlikely to do much harm.

Such a small amount of phenylephrine isn't likely to make a healthy person sick. MDMA doesn't cause near the blood pressure increase that other amphetamines do and I'm sure people who have sinus issues have done this before without thinking about it.

That said, the usual "if you're sick, you shouldn't roll" warning applies.

I would still be careful. I dont know of any good literature about MDMA and phenylephrine. But phenylephrine is definately contraindicated when taking MAOI, because the risk of hypertensive crisis is well documented, since the monoamines and phenylephrine have a syngergistic effect. As MDMA increases the extracellular concentration of monoamines as well, it may cause this reaction as well.

In addition, you have the risk of becoming dehydrated while on MDMA, and that can be dangerous in the face of vasoconstriction from alpha-1 agonism, since then the preload to the heart will not be sufficient enough the match the afterload, which can result in cardiovascular collapse.

If you have a strong heart and took a small amount of phenylephrine, you will probably be ok, but you should understand the risks.