• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Two tetracyclic AD''s taken simultaneously??

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
By example, mirtazipine with Amoxipine.

Both affecting noradrenergic transmission - I'm too bombed to read the specific activity in that capacity - alpha this, alpha that.

Both sedating, apparently, which is a win win from my point of view.

Anticholinergic AE's of amoxipine are supposedly quite weak.

Are these contraindicated??

Serotonin syndrome is not precipitated by mirtazipine with other serotonin drugs, so I'd imagine it's not an issue here also...?

The theoretical concern via drugs.com interactions checker is serotonin syndrome but I don't think it is an actual risk. Like you said it doesn't happen that way, mirtazapine may even be used to treat it.

What would happen is an increase in the chance of side-effects which may be considerable / bigger than linear. Anti-cholinergic, potential liver issues eventually, etc.

Not sure if that is actually worth the potential antihistaminergic synergy. If you don't get enough hypnotic / drowsy effect from either I don't think you should try to combine, if anything lower your dosage so that the antihistaminergic effect is most pronounced and just abort if it doesn't bring you relief. Combining pharmacologically dirty drugs is not the way to go. I've been on mirtazapine and while it did stabilize me for about a year, the effect on increasing appetite or sleep both were not a success. The former maybe a bit.

Yeah it sucks that there are not many great options for chronic sedation to be applied for insomnia, anxiety is tricky as well... unfortunately I don't really have a good alternative but that doesn't mean your idea is good.