View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Two distinct types of Ketamine effects?

slowintrepid

Bluelighter
So I've been using K for years now. A while back Ketamine used to only be found in vials that had to be cooked. After insufflating a good amount you would go into a 'K-Hole' which for me was a very desired effect. When my eyes were closed I would be able to create deep, vivid photorealistic 3D landscapes that I could see as clear as day. However a negative effect of doing this type of K was that any amount of alcohol consumed would cause nausea and usually vomiting.

Nowadays I would say 8 out of 10 times the K I end up getting seems to be what people refer to as "base K" or "pre-form K". You can buy large quantities of it already in crystal/powder form as opposed to purchasing. I know everyone around here loves to say "K is K is K" but these are two very distinct types of effects. When doing base/preform I can't reach a 'hole' or those vivid images no matter how much I do (even up to 1G within 30mins) Also when doing this type of K I'm able to actively consume alcohol at the same time with no adverse effects.

Some might say what I'm getting is cut, or that its not K at all. However this scenario has been the case for years in every major city on the east coast of the US from multiple different sources.

Can anyone say what is really going on here?

Perhaps it's the difference between S-isomer & Racemic Ketamine that you're experiencing?

^^^ I don't know jack about dissociatives but I had a friend who got ketamine and was always excited when ketamine was s-isomer. He was a LSD chemist as well so he knew his shit. There's been quite a bit of rather new info on different isomers of drugs causing varying effects.

well, I've always been able to hole with the racemic form just as easily as the s-isomer, provided I have the right dose. I have more experience with racemic K, but I've never had a problem. I think you're simply experiencing tolerance, which would also explain the reduced nausea, since side effects like that typically decrease with continued use of other drugs like alcohol and opiates, so it would make sense that it would be the same for ketamine. Maybe try taking a tolerance break?

^^^ I don't know jack about dissociatives but I had a friend who got ketamine and was always excited when ketamine was s-isomer. He was a LSD chemist as well so he knew his shit. There's been quite a bit of rather new info on different isomers of drugs causing varying effects.

S-ketamine is actually valued for it's medicinal properties, I believe the dissociative/recreational effects are attributed mainly to R-Ket

Which medicinal effects are you referring too with the s-isomer, Folley? It might make sense then because this guy was super into the benefits from certain substances, but like I said I don't know anything about dissociatives so I can't say really. Trying methoxetamine soon though! Don't really know what to expect though honestly.

I believe it's because S-ketamine has less of the psychedelic side effects so it's preferred by doctors to keep their patients from getting "high". S-ket is still definitely active and will get you quite high, it's just not as well rounded as racemic ketamine for recreational purposes.

No one really makes r-ket, unfortunately. Medicinal vials are much more likely to be S isomer, as would be indicated on the bottle

S-ketamine is actually valued for it's medicinal properties, I believe the dissociative/recreational effects are attributed mainly to R-Ket
I find racemic more sedating and foggy while s-isomer feels more dreamy/psychedelic with a stronger mind fuck and less sedation. It's racemic ketamine that usually used in human anesthesia due to it having less psychedelic effects.

That's not to say I haven't had any good deep imersive experiences on racemic because I have; It's just that I find s-isomer to be a world of difference

I think you're right, I may have gotten that backwards

(+) ketamine is generally considered to be approx. 2-3 times more potent than (-) ketamine.[3]
(+) ketamine is cleared from the body in HALF the time it takes for racemic ketamine. The clearance of (-) ketamine takes only slightly longer than racemic ketamine.[1]
(-) ketamine significantly inhibits the clearance of (+) ketamine. This means that if you have pure (+) ketamine, after you come out of a k-hole, the aftereffects of the k will wear off more quickly than they would if you had done racemic ketamine.[1]
(+) ketamine inhibits the dopamine transporter 8 times more potently than (-) ketamine.[2]
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/447697-Ketamine-Subthread-Isomers-R-and-S-Ketamine

I have always wondered what the isomer difference was. I have had both kinds, but never knew which was which when using them. I know that one just knocks me out, while the other gives me the hole I am looking for and I am lucid.

The racemic ketamine lasts longer, but the visuals and euphoria are not as pronounced, for me, as with the s-ketamine.
That said, the racemic is also more disorienting and dissociating than the S, but I still prefer the S due to the increased euphoria...JMO...different floats for different boats.

OP, if you are/were buying liquid in vials, your mileage will increase dramatically if you IM it instead of drying and insufflating it.
Also, what you're experiencing seems like tolerance as someone already^mentioned.

Last edited:
OP / TS is long gone by now..

Anyway I would not say that only one of the pure isomers has an interesting or useful effect, they both have distinct effects (which is pretty unusual for drug isomers). S indeed was more anaesthetic for me, but the experiences that do happen while feeling less trippy and more uniformly warm and nice are still what I would call a nice comfortable hole, that warmth is euphoric to me although not necessarily in the usual sense.
And on S, I get physically immobilized, moving makes me nauseous and combining with alcohol is an issue. With R, I don't get immobilized or nauseous or have an issue with alcohol.... it's more stimmy and schizo like 3-MeO-PCP (not necessarily euphoria from the stimmy feeling). Even though there is no anaesthetic hole, the distinct hole from that is obliterated cognition while staying conscious and aware. A complete loss of sense of what things are or how they work.

So even if it's not R but racemic vs. S, it would account for what is described in the OP. But it's not really possible to say for certain and it would be like IDing.