Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Underbelly (AUS)

i just started watching it last night and got up to where carls in jail and some crook murderers fucking his lawyer, bit over the top how the chick cop narrator puts her bit in all the time and tries get deep, (i.e "for woman to survive in the underworld they have to........") shutup.
but yeh i dont mind it so far.

all the characters remind me of people i have known or know, only exaggerated versions of them.

The thing that ruins it for me is Matthew Newton.
First season they got the characters looks very right, choosing unknown actors.
They became the character.
Matthew Newton IS Matthew Newton when I watch it, I do not see a character.
Big mistake.

it's pretty spot on to what happened.

Nooo it isn't! Won't go into it - but a lot is bullshit. Complete and utter crap that is "assumed" or literally made up.
Stories are twisted together. They have a correct portrayal of the lifestyle, but I detest the way they make everybody out to be murderers and awful people.
Sure ; a lot of them were awful people.
But trust me - so much is a complete fabrication.

Last edited:
The thing that ruins it for me is Matthew Newton.
First season they got the characters looks very right, choosing unknown actors.
They became the character.
Matthew Newton IS Matthew Newton when I watch it, I do not see a character.
Big mistake.

Matthew Newton looks like he should be hosting Play School or something. Bloody horrible choice, but all the critics are raving about his performance, what show are they bloody watching???

On the plus side he would be loving all the boob action he is getting on the show :D

Actually a bit disappointed with this series to tell you the truth, i'm probably going to grow to love it, but it doesn't have that sort of instant hook that the first series had.

Plus it is.. MATTHEW NEWTON!
Wonder how he got the gig 8)
Yeah the 2nd series is not as recent, therefore nobody knows much about it.
And it just lacks the drama and anticipation. Blah.
Everything those Newton's do fails!

Ok I finished watching the whole series in under 48 hours, I have to say, I'm pretty impressed, after watching the first episode i didnt think I was going to like it, But as each episode went on I liked it more and more. Im gonna start watching season 2 tonight. What do you guys think of season 2 so far? will it live up to season 1? Also what episode is the most current in AUS at this time? episode 4 will be airing on what Tuesday or WED? Also in a bit im gonna ask a few slang question, ones that i couldnt remember ill get back to you and ask you.

Yeah its up to ep 4 from memory.

Claire, I cant speak for the first one but this time arround you are spot on correct in that there is a lot of added drama etc to make it into a story.

so far i like season one better, but season two still has ample time to become good, season two is more non-fiction then the first from what I gather as well.

I think season 2 is on the whole a bit better than season 1 but they are both pretty average. It just doesn't seem realistic compared to benchmark shows - the script, acting, production is well below the quality of the great US underworld TV shows (particularly The Wire).

FWIW - I live in Melbourne.

do ekkies refer only to mdma or just speed pills? also is dash/dosh just basically a slang for cash?

ekkies - ecstacy

yes
dosh = money

I think season 2 is on the whole a bit better than season 1 but they are both pretty average. It just doesn't seem realistic compared to benchmark shows - the script, acting, production is well below the quality of the great US underworld TV shows (particularly The Wire).

Compared to aussies standards it's pretty bloody tops imo. The period setting in the second season was superb.

i've read they're working on a third season now.

what are some of the other aussie slang terms that are used? and what is a tafe(sp?) course, steve owen says to benji "why not enroll in tafe"? what is that like communtiy college or something?

Technical And Further Education (TAFE) is a cheap alternative to university. It's like a community college.

saw a doco with the two journalists who wrote the books that the series is based on. the actual events, it seems, are basically spot on in the first season. chopper and gatto were both interviewed. interesting stuff.