• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Firefly (2002)

Cyc

Bluelighter
I realize I'm late to the party, but I'd been meaning to check out this series for a while, and with a bit of prodding from some good people here on BL, I finally did. There was a thread about this circa 2005, but I wanted to start a new discussion.

All I can say was.. How the hell did it get cancelled? I normally hate 95% of the sci-fi shit on TV, but this was truly a great series, with a wonderful cast and an original storyline. Thank heaven for the internet.

So I watch 14 episodes, with several story arcs still up in the air, just to find out there's no more..

I'll be watching the film, Serenity tomorrow night. Any other fans of this series that couldn't quite get off the ground?

Yea I loved firefly too, and wasn't it on fox ? thats probally why it was cancelled.

Serenity is for sure worth watching, just abit sad when its over because you know thats all theres going to be.

it was fun while it lasted but it didn't really have a sense of longevity. the budget was mostly to blame but also to blame was the fact that half of the characters were never given a proper backstory and that made them feel somewhat hollow despite their singularities.

serenity REALLY prospered with the generous budget. one of the best action sequences in the whole film was enabled by the fact that they had an airborne transport taking the place of the piece of shit ATV they used during the series. they also filled in more about the past of all the characters than they managed to do in the course of the WHOLE series. so yeah, that really makes it obvious that the series' failure had to do with all the plots written more about firefly than the actual cast aboard it. they should have just used those episodes to fill in the characters and could have given the damn spaceship more attention if the series got prolonged

Saw the film, then watched the DVD extras. It's a real shame they let such a great cast slip away. I don't think you roll the dice a million times and get such a cool group of people.

It's too bad the show got picked up by a shit network like Fox instead of a network like HBO, who isn't afraid to spend money on quality programming.

sounds interesting. hmm, what would u say if i just went straight ahead and watched the film (serenity) without knowin jack shit about the tv show ? big mistake or go for it ?

it will give you a better understanding of the characters and what is happening at the start of the movie, but pretty sure the movie was intended both as a continuation of the show and a stand alone movie, so you should be fine either way.

i, also, dont understand why this show was cancelled. as the season progressed the episodes became better and more trippy. i loved that one where the bounty hunter came on board looking for the girl.

I think season two of the show would have been really, really good. When I watched I got progressively more upset there would be only 14 episodes or whatever. It was more of the most realistic depictions of what the future might be like I've seen as a fan of the genre.

I only just watched Serenity on the weekend and thought it was brilliant so now I have season 1 of Firefly in the hope that I can carry on with the awesomeness that Serenity was =D

Well Serenity I believe takes place after the events in S1.

Either way, both worth watching - and yes, brilliant.

Christina Hendricks makes an appearance on a episode or two for those into that sort of thing. %)

^ Hell yes.

I was never into this show when it was on TV. I saw the movie Serenity and thought, hey this isn't bad, but left it at that. Then about a year ago I borrowed the DVD box set from my friend, and I was instantly hooked. I'm no Whedonite, but this was a damn shiny show.