⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Chappelle Show

^^ Damn, I was just coming here to post that same article. Saddening news. :(

^^same here. I had just read it and was going to post about it.

I'm sorry to see the show die. But there is always hope he'll change his mind (comedy central says the doors are open).

And I'm glad Charlie Murphy benefitted from the show. He's hilarious. And I hope to see more stuff with him in it. :)

sad news... but i agree it is better than a long drawn out slow fade of disgrace

also, so far the only significant source we have on that is Murphy... maybe Dave just hasn't asked him back.... ??? who knows....

If anyone has ever watched Dave's stand up, you'd notice that he seems very nervous around all of the people. He talks a lot about how he hates being the center of attention and a celebrity.

In one of his skits he was talking about how he went to Disney world with his kids, and everyone came up to him and kept bothering him, and he said how much he hated it. I think the fame is too much for him, as it would be for nearly everyone.

I wish the man luck, he seems like a really cool guy to know in person, I'd love to sit down with him and hang out. He's a truely funny guy.

TheLoveBandit said:
Haven't been able to watch it as much as I'd like. The Rick James has been played out by the kids across America, so I'm jaded to that one. My favorite was the "Turn my headphones up!" album recording session...I'd buy that ;)

bwahaha me too 8( i did watch him for the FIRST TIME last week on cable..lmao...i nearly fell off my chair during the *Ask a Nigger on the Street* segment where he had richard pryors ex - writer in it LOL!!!

dbighead2 said:
In one of his skits he was talking about how he went to Disney world with his kids, and everyone came up to him and kept bothering him, and he said how much he hated it.

actually that bit is about there being a time and place for people to come up to him and scream '"i'm rick james bitch," ie not around his kids.

Finder said:

Murphy, the older brother of comic Eddie Murphy, said his two seasons with Chappelle made him a star.

"Now I can go out and do stand-up," he said. "I'm getting movie offers. It's off the hook. Me getting to the next level or whatever's going to happen is going to come from the next things I do, but 'Chappelle's Show' served its purpose and I'll always be grateful."

Well that's good to hear. Charlie Murphy is hilarious!

some good news

===

No Chappelle, But New Show Is Set to Run

By LOLA OGUNNAIKE

The show will go on without Dave Chappelle. More than six months after the star abruptly abandoned his "Chappelle's Show," Comedy Central said yesterday that it planned to assemble a third season of the hit series anyway.

The network has cobbled together enough material for four half-hour episodes, which are scheduled to run in late spring or early summer of 2006, said Doug Herzog, Comedy Central's president. "The audience has been telling us for a long time that they want to see more, so we thought we'd try and give them what we have," Mr. Herzog said.

To whet viewers' appetites, a two-and-a-half-minute montage of bits from the episodes is to be featured in "Comedy Central's Last Laugh '05," which has its premiere on Sunday. The montage will also be available on Monday on the network's Web site.

Mr. Herzog said that the network had been eager to include Mr. Chappelle in the creative process, but without success. "We have repeatedly tried to get Dave to figure out what he'd like to do with this stuff and it hasn't really gone anywhere," he said. Because Mr. Chappelle never taped his traditional on-stage introductions, how the shows will actually be presented has yet to be determined. The last original episode of the show was broadcast in May 2004.

Neil Brennan, Mr. Chappelle's former writing partner, has not ruled out working on the new episodes. "They have reached out to me," he said, "but I haven't decided anything yet." Mr. Brennan said he agreed with Comedy Central's decision to broadcast the new shows. "They sunk a lot of money into them and the sketches are great, so it makes good business sense and it makes sense creatively," he said.

Rumors about Mr. Chappelle's well-being abounded after Comedy Central said in May that production of the show was suspended because of Mr. Chappelle's unexpected absence. "I'm not crazy," he told Time magazine later that month. "I'm not smoking crack. I'm definitely stressed out." After a brief sabbatical in South Africa he returned to his home in Ohio. Since leaving his series, he has steadily performed stand-up around the country. Last month he was the headliner at the Las Vegas Comedy Festival.

Tony Fox, a Comedy Central spokesman, would not discuss the development deal Mr. Chappelle signed with the channel, one that could have been worth as much as $50 million. "He still receives profits from the show," Mr. Fox said. "That's all I can say."

Mr. Herzog predicted that the new episodes would garner strong ratings. "We wouldn't put them on the air if we didn't think they were hysterically funny," he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/06/arts/television/06chap.html?pagewanted=print

there was a thread started in here a while ago about racism. specifically racism against 'whites', which from what i gathered was a topic that had been inspired by someone's disapproval with the racist jokes that they had witnessed in the chappelle show. up till that point i hadn't seen the show so i couldn't properly comment in the thread, but i did give some of my thoughts on the general topic of racism anyway. so naturally when i randomly stumbled across this show late one night a few months ago when i was in europe i stopped to watch it because i was intrigued to see what all the fuss was about.

... and i have to say that of the 15 mintutes that i caught of it, i loved it. the sketches that he does are hilarious, especially because they are STILL RELEVANT TODAY. racism against blacks and other minority groups is still alive and unfortunately well in america. so good on him i say, for being a smart and witty guy who has the guts to speak out against those white people who oppressed and continue to oppress blacks and other people alike in society.

Chappelle Says Stress Caused Him to Leave
By ANNA JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

Comedian Dave Chappelle told Oprah Winfrey he was stressed out and not crazy or on drugs when he abruptly left his hit Comedy Central show last spring during production.

In his first television interview since ditching "Chappelle's Show" in May, Chappelle said that after he signed a $50 million deal for the third and fourth seasons in August 2004, too many people were trying to control him and his show.

"I wasn't crazy but it is incredibly stressful," Chappelle, 32, said during his appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that aired Friday.

"I felt in a lot of instances I was deliberately being put through stress because when you're a guy who generates money people have a vested interested in controlling you," Chappelle said.

Last May, with the premiere date looming for the third season, Chappelle stunned his fans and the entertainment industry by leaving the show in mid-production. He spent two weeks in South Africa before returning home to his farm near Yellow Springs, Ohio, about 75 miles northeast of Cincinnati. Chappelle has since resumed performing live standup.

The provocative and sometimes raunchy comedian denied reports that his mysterious departure was caused by mental or drug problems. But he told Winfrey that other people were trying to get him to take psychotic medication when he decided to leave the show and country, without telling anyone except his brother before he left.

Chappelle stressed that the fame that grew as his show become increasingly popular wasn't the problem, but instead he felt awful going to work.

"I would go to work on the show and I felt awful every day, that's not the way it was" he said. "I felt like some kind of prostitute or something. If I feel so bad, why keep on showing up to this place? I'm going to Africa. The hardest thing to do is to be true to yourself, especially when everybody is watching."

The comedian did not rule out returning to film the rest of third and fourth seasons of "Chappelle's Show" but only under certain circumstances. For example, Chappelle said he would like to donate a portion of the proceeds from DVD sales to the less fortunate.

The status of his show has hung in limbo since May. Comedy Central announced in December that four half-hour episodes of "Chappelle's Show" — based on what Chappelle taped before leaving the production — will premiere in weekly airings this spring. A full season would have been between 10 and 13 episodes.

I watched the Oprah show with Dave Chapelle. He is a good guy and I respect him. He makes me laugh my ass off.

I watched the Oprah show with Dave Chapelle. He is a good guy and I respect him. He makes me laugh my ass off.