• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

tv: British television

ego_loss

Bluelighter
I've gotten hooked on a slew of British comedies, and I'm looking for more suggestions.

Here is the short list of what I have seen so far.

Monty Python
The Young Ones
Are You Being Served (I didn't find it particularly funny)
Bottom
Spaced
Big Train
Little Britain
Black Books
I'm Alan Partridge
Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge
Saxondale (my personal favorite)
The IT Crowd
Red Dwarf
The Office
The New Statesman
The League of Gentlemen
Asylum

I'm currently watching the first series of Father Ted and World of Pub. I also just snagged Hippies. I watched the first episode of The Mighty Boosh but I couldn't get into it.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Of all of the above, Saxondale and Black Books are probably my favorites.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other good shows to keep an eye out for?

scottish rather than british but 'still game' is absolutely brilliant!

tho id say the office is the funniest thing of all time...'free love on the free love freeway'=D

I assume the absence of Fawlty Towers is a typo? If not; then go go go in that direction :)

Aye, Still Game is good. Stick subtitles on if you want but I doubt you'd need them.

Chewing The Fat is another Scottish one, same actors.

Infinite Jest said:
I assume the absence of Fawlty Towers is a typo? If not; then go go go in that direction :)

Fawlty Towers and Allo Allo are both shows that I watched many years ago. I should probably pick them up again as a refresher.

I also dig British documentaries and educational show. I'm currently snagging a Channel 4 doc called "I can't stop masturbating".

My Favourite!

250px-Peep_Show_logo.jpg

PEEP SHOW!!! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peep_Show_(TV_series)

Peep Show is an award-winning British sitcom starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb. The programme is written by Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain, with additional material by Mitchell and Webb themselves. It has been broadcast on Channel 4 since 2003, and finished its fourth series in May 2007. It was recommissioned for a fifth series before the fourth was screened

Synopsis

Peep Show follows the often sexually-frustrated lives of two men in their late twenties, Mark (Mitchell) and Jeremy (Webb). Having met while at the fictional Dartmouth University together (they occasionally refer to themselves as 'The El Dude Brothers' in reference to their student days), they now share a flat in Croydon, south London.

Mark is a loan manager and the more financially successful of the two, but is extremely uncomfortable socially and pessimistic about nearly everything. Jeremy, who at the start of the first episode has recently split up with his girlfriend 'Big Suze', now rents Mark's spare room. He usually has a much more optimistic and energetic outlook on the world than Mark, yet his talent as a musician is yet to be recognised, and he is not as socially popular or sexually attractive as he would like to think.

ego_loss said:
Are You Being Served (I didn't find it particularly funny)

that is sad. i remember loving this since i was much younger than now. i was reminded of it yesterday when i found out that the one actor had died this year.
father ted was my favorite when i lived in scotland.
and +2 on fawlty towers, too

As in Ricky Gervais' Extras?

If so, that was a BBC/HBO co-production, which was broadcast here in the states.

brass eye
the day today

you must see these.

(much) more on this later

alasdair

The Brass Eye, like The Mighty Boosh, didn't really grab my attention at all during the first viewing.

The Day Today is on my list, mainy because of Alan Partidge. Speaking of, I've got Coogan's Run on my list of snags as well.

I'm a big fan of Coogan. The man is very talented. Plus, I hear he likes to party like a rockstar. It's funny to go from any of the Partridge programs to watching him on Saxondale. He usually does such rude or oblivious characters that Saxondale is a welcome change. He is basically the Anti-Alan. I am really looking forward to season 3.

I'd also like to see them bring back Spaced for another series. Simon Pegg hasn't given an official "no" to that possibility. I also wish Red Dwarf would return. I also wish Dylan Moran would get another show... preferably one where he is just as bitter, cynical and drunk as he was in Black Books.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... and keep 'em coming. I have some good resources when it comes to finding good British television, and plenty of time to watch it all.

SA said:
Still brit though.

perhaps, but I saw a lot of it already here in the States. I'm looking for suggestions of shows that a typical Yank wouldn't know about.

About halfway into the first episode of Father Ted, and I'm not too impressed. I'll give the rest of the series a look anyways. Same with World of Pub. Slightly funny, but nothing really great.

2 other good shows are Rab C Nesbitt and Father Ted, they aren't from the UK but they are Irish and one is scottish so it is similar humor.

*edit*

oops, just saw that you said you are watching father ted!

I thought Father Ted was pretty funny when I saw it some years ago. Of course, there is The Office and Extras, both of which are absolutely genius. I also enjoyed Trigger Happy TV, although that aired on Comedy Central for a while.

What about Absolutely Fabulous? I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard good things. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet.