Tudca

gh0stmAn

Bluelighter
I have a question regarding TUDCA. I am posting here as I know a lot of body builders use TUDCA to protect their livers while using steroids and what not.. Now I am not a body builder but is it a good idea to use TUDCA for the average joe? I sometimes use stuff like kratom, phenibut and sometimes drink alcohol. Now I know that you shouldn't take TUDCA before drinking. Is it safe for the average joe to use TUDCA for liver health in general while using stuff like kratom, phenibut and alcohol (Not all at once but every once in awhile I take one of the 3)..

Does no one know what TUDCA is or use it themselves? I am just wondering if it is OK for the normal person to use it? I have been taking only 250mgs every night before bed.. I've only found one article called "8 reason why everyone should take TUDCA" which was some help but I am wondering if you guys have any advice?

I am not aware of any reason it would not be OK. The liver-protective and other supposed health benefits, to my knowledge, were not discovered by studying bodybuilders... Presumably, body builders take it because of the reports of these health benefits to the average person.

I don't use steroids but have taken 250mg TUDCA more or less daily for over a year myself, because of it's supposed health benefits, and I feel OK. Obviously this isn't necessarily a good measure of whether it's actually been good for me or not, but, again, I don't think there's any reason to think it would be harmful, quite the opposite in fact.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't feel the need to take something like TUDCA unless you have a problem, so save your money for nutrient rich foods instead. TUDCA/UDCA is not completely benign, certainly not as harmless as some articles would lead you to believe anyway, as there are health risks associated with chronic use - some potentially life-threatening. And occasional alcohol/drug use is not going to harm the liver significantly.

If you really want to supplement with something that is benign but with potential upsides, ditch the -UDCA and just buy the Taurine, and take 3-5g per day.

TUDCA/UDCA is not completely benign, certainly not as harmless as some articles would lead you to believe anyway, as there are health risks associated with chronic use - some potentially life-threatening.
Sources plz? :)

Sorry what I wrote sounds hyperbolic. In your case 250mg isn't an issue and I didn't mean it to come across like that. It's fine to take it, I just disagree that most people of normal health (ie OP) will see any relevant benefit - and it's not cheap.

However high doses - and I do know a few who take several grams a day 365 - could cause trouble. Most of this comes from UDCA research. Just google UDCA toxicity. TUDCA is more water soluble, but there's little in vivo research and even less on humans, and until otherwise I'll defer to UDCA findings. Most of the arguments deployed are based on in vitro or rodent research, but even so chronic high doses of bile acids are unavoidably toxic.