• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tryptamine Parent Compound

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
Much research and discussion has been focused on thetryptamines as a class, mainly substituted derivatives. This makes sense giventheir well known and wide range of effects such as hallucinogenic, empathogenicor stimulant. But how about the parent compound (tryptamine) I haven’t foundmuch on it but here are the few facts I know.
Tryptamine is an indole alkaloid and is formed by the decarboxylationof L-tryptophen.
Molecular formula – C10H12N2
Structurally analogous to serotonin, just lacks an Oxygenatom.
Does anyone have any idea what theeffect of tryptamine on humans could be?
Has anyone had experience withthis?
Is it actually available?
Please Note my intention is tostrictly focus on the parent compound of the tryptamine class which is calledTryptamine, so it would help if we limit discussion of other compounds in thisthread unless it is important.
Thanks

Tryptamine will be rapidly metabolised by MAO before actually reaching circulation, let alone reaching the brain.

It isn't active because it is rapidly metabolized. I've heard stories thar it produces effects after continuous infusion.

How about if combined with an MAOa inhibitor to prevent metabolism.

The PK of tryptamine is not like DMT -- tryptamine isn't really even active by continuous infusion into the circulatory system. So it is not just a problem of metabolism in the gut like DMT. Tryptamine may be metabolized to the the N-oxide and a MAOI wouldn't prevent that.

The PK of tryptamine is not like DMT -- tryptamine isn't really even active by continuous infusion into the circulatory system. So it is not just a problem of metabolism in the gut like DMT. Tryptamine may be metabolized to the the N-oxide and a MAOI wouldn't prevent that.
Do you think its metabolism to the N-Oxide is the main reason whyTryptaminemaynotbeactiveoristhatjustasugestion.
According to wikipedia, tryptamine is a non selective Serotonin receptor agonist, so I can't imagine it would feel that pleasent anyway.

Do you think its metabolism to the N-Oxide is the main reason whyTryptaminemaynotbeactiveoristhatjustasugestion. According to wikipedia, tryptamine is a non selective Serotonin receptor agonist, so I can't imagine it would feel that pleasent anyway.
There are probably a few things that keep it from being active. It can be metabolized by both MAO-A and MAO-B (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3094536), so something like harmine wouldn't be sufficient to increase its activity. But I'm guessing it can also be converted to the N-oxide. Many other tryptamines -- including popular ones like 5-MeO-DMT, psilocin, and DPT -- are classified as non-selective 5-HT receptor agonists.