• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Trying to taper my use to zero, advice would be appreciated

ObieWan

Bluelighter
I have successfully quit opioids before, but it's hard. I need to be clean for several reasons. I have been using up to 250mg of tar, the majority of which by injection. I used to go "on" for 2-3 days, taper for a couple days, and then abstain for a few days. This worked well to keep withdrawal to an absolute minimum. However, over time this evolved to just daily use, or "on" everyday. My last gram I instituted a taper. The problem with this is you always end up using more than you anticipated because you have to accept that you are not getting high, just using enough to stave off withdrawal. Also when you feel a bit of w/d you use a little more. Anyways on the last try I fell off at about 60-80mg on the last two days. I wanted to get down to 10-20mg before I stopped entirely.

I can sort of deal with it at home, but I need my brain and my wits to function at work. It's been almost 48 hours and I feel gross. I'm not puking and crapping all over myself, but I feel achey, depressed, and can only get a few hours sleep. I copped another small stash of potent #4 and have to make it work this time. I do not want to go into a program, nor do I want to go on Suboxone, which is imho worse than the original drug. It's even more difficult to quit. I was hoping for some advice from a seasoned user on a realistic tapering schedule that has worked for them. I don't want to drag it out, but I don't want it to be painful either. I'd like to do this over about 10 days. Everybody's chemistry varies so i realize "ymmv."

After almost 2 days of not using my dependence and my tolerance is down a little bit I'm sure. I would like to dose 2x daily, but when lowering use I have to increase this to like 4x daily. I'm going on at 50-80mg/day, but less if I feel I don't need it. I've only taken a bump today, but am going to take a dose once more today. The last time I stopped I was using 2-3mg 2-3 times/day for the last 4 days before I stopped entirely. Thank you everyone for your help and support. For those asking the question "Should I try Heroin," the answer is no. This is a difficult drug to use recreationaly as you would alcohol, or even benzos.

Ymmv means 'your mileage may vary'.

Taper

Something that I've found in my past experience- I find that as you are tapering you will have a general discomfort such as achiness, sluggishness, and lethargy; and this feels more like PAWS than it does acute withdrawal. This can be combated by taking a single dose closer towards what you have been using previously. You then go back to your taper schedule again. Just be careful as your tolerance is going to be lower and it's easier to OD. You can then stretch out your next dose to when you absolutely need it. I also had a doctor recommend something similar when coming off subs. After being on your lowest dose of say 0.25mg, take a single dose of say 3 to 4mg. The drug has a long half life and as it's being cleared from your system it's in effect tapering itself. What would be ideal would be stretching it out over many weeks instead of like 5 or 6 days. Look at me; it seems I already know how to do this, but it's just hard. I guess I'm looking for a little positive reinforcement or a little confirmation that this is in fact possible. Something else that has worked well for me is taking small doses more frequently. It's impossible to measure 2 or 3 mg accurately. It is however possible to measure 20mg. Every few hours I would IM 2mg or so, trying to stretch it out as long as possible before I dose again. I don't recommend anybody IM their gear as this exponentially increases the chance for infection and whatnot. In this particular instance IV was not really possible. You can also take it intranasally but you again run into the problem of measuring your doses accurately. There is the advantage of your dose being absorbed slower, which is very helpful when trying to stop. I've been toying with the idea of doing something like dosing only like 1x/day. You will have a good portion of the day that you have to tough out, but if looking for a faster taper this may be what the doctor ordered. There is so little information out there about doing this, so trial and error is the only approach. Feedback would be really helpful. SORRY IT'S SCREWED UP AND WON'T LET ME BREAK THE TEXT INTO PARAGRAPHS, VERY WEIRD

Last edited: