• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Trying to quit coke while getting Hep C cure.

kgeisel98

Bluelighter
I'm fairly anxious. I'm waiting to see my Hepatologist in a few weeks. I've had Hep C since it was known as Non-A, Non-B Hepatitis back in the 80s. So I've had Hep C for 30 years and I'm finally going to take care of my body better. I had a friend who had the treatment and she told me I could still use coke while in treatment. The thing is I only want to do the treatment for as short a time as necessary and I really think using cocaine/crack is going to put extra stress on my liver and possibly prolong treatment. If anyone has experience with this I would love to hear from you. Tonight was my last use for 8 to 12 weeks. I'm also curious if I can drink alcohol during this process. Thanks?

More suitable for o.d. or bdd if you ask me, but anyway. I think booze would put more stress to your liver than coke would, but could be wrong. But why not ask your doctor about this.
I think the best thing to do is focus on your treatment and use it as a trigger to quit though. Learn to take care of your body and be friendly to it-this is something that will come in use even after the treatment.

^ Exactly. If you are going to treat hep. c properly my advice is that you quit all drugs and drinking. IMO these drugs will make it harder for your liver to recover.

I'm not sure where to send this. I suppose O.D. would be the best place. I'll send it there.
If the mods there decide it belongs elsewhere, apologies, and feel free to send it to a more appropriate forum.

Why not ask your doctor these questions during your next appointment?

Im not too familiar with this one, so I did a quick search on it. Sofosbuvir is a pro-drug, so it's probably best to avoid alcohol and any street drugs. I doubt cocaine itself would cause major problem, but certain cuts could

It's more likely the abuse and overuse of coke would affect things more than just a bump here and there. It's the way your health degrades due to the stress coke can cause with the side effects and crash. The stress it relieves probably can be helpful, but I don't recommend trying to do that as it will end up becoming too much to often as I'm sure you know. Plus as was said above active cuts can really be a problem such as meth or drug analogs that became famous during the bath salt craze.

It would be better not to use. That said I doubt 1 or 2 sessions will make much difference. You should not drink though as that's really bad for your liver.

It goes without saying that it's best to abstain from all drugs and definitely alcohol. My concern though is that you don't get treatment then get reinfected, so be careful! I took Harvoni two years ago and it cured me, my liver function has been wonderful since then as well. Good luck and take care!

It goes without saying that it's best to abstain from all drugs and definitely alcohol. My concern though is that you don't get treatment then get reinfected, so be careful! I took Harvoni two years ago and it cured me, my liver function has been wonderful since then as well. Good luck and take care!

I no longer use needles and always use my own straw (which I will replace) so I don't foresee getting reinfected. Thanks for all the input folks. I will avoid alcohol too which is no biggie for me as I rarely drink anyway.

Look into learning about how various drugs are metabolized by your body. You want to avoid straining your liver and immune system more than it already will be, so it's a good idea to avoid drugs that tax you like alcohol. I'd imagine cocaine wouldn't be great for your immune system either, but I can't speak to that specifically.