• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Trying to quit a large Xanax habit without seizures

J_mal91

Greenlighter
Hi, I am completely new to posting here, so forgive me if I am doing this wrong. I really just would like some help / advice. I’ve been taking around 8mg - 10mg of Xanax daily for 3 years. Last two times I tried to stop, I had grand mal seizures at work (thank god I wasn’t driving). I am terrified about quitting, but I do want off. I have tried tapering and was to scared to actually stop, which ended up with me getting back to my normal dose. I see people talking a lot about Valium and lorazepam for the taper since they are long acting. If done the right way with the right meds, could I possibly avoid the seizures? My next question is, I want to do this legitimately and I do not know how to obtain Valium or any other benzo through a doctor. The last one just told me good luck and sent me out the door with nothing and recommended an inpatient facility. Problem is I am the only income in my household and couldn’t take off work for that long. Is there any way I could explain my situation to a doctor and do an outpatient taper, because even on the black market I cannot obtain any Valium or any benzo for that matter, other than Xanax and klonopin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you want to keep working your only answer is to do an extremely slow taper and get a lot of gabapentin/neuroton to help one not get seizures. Valerian root too. The stupidity and subtle dizziness from gabapentin goes away after three days. So start Saturday or any three days off you may have. Any Dr will give that out. It's pennies and not a controlled substance. Must be taken w a lot of food to be activated despite you not being hungry. I've quit many times. 6mg of Xanax, 4 mg Ativan and Wellbutrin. Same time. I never had a seizure. But I was also up for 8 days. That was several cold turkies. I was stuck in bed. * If I had to work I'd do it slowly.* The one time I did have seizure was just getting off 2 mg of klonopin years ago.

I'm tapering off xanax right now using valium. I've already halved my dose in like 6 weeks. Then again I wasn't taking it as long as you. I'm actually getting mine from a methadone clinic. Maybe you could do the same? Doctors there are usually more understanding about drug dependence and what not. Or you could order them off the dark web but its gonna be really expensive. Gabapentin would help but idk if it would be enough on its own. Maybe in combination with the valium... which is what I'm doing.

The stupidity and subtle dizziness from gabapentin goes away after three days. So start Saturday or any three days off you may have. Any Dr will give that out. It's pennies and not a controlled substance. Must be taken w a lot of food to be activated despite you not being hungry.
^ I second this/the gabapentin. It was a life saver for me when I finally realized I had some stashed away.
I just did a really fast taper off 2.5 mg after 3 years.
I tapered the xanax for like 2 weeks and then jumped.
I highly don't recommend going this route.
Having said that, with the gaba for seizures/calming the sides it has been doable.
(I'm more or less in the PAWS stage atm).
Could I have done it and worked? I'm honestly not sure about that.
Definitely not for first 7 days, but after that if I just had to I guess.
When the psychosis hits ( and it will hit) your not going to be worth much mentally for that first week or so.
Not to mention for the firet week sleep will be very little.

I have heard many people use pregabalin ( Lyrica) to really reduce the wd symptoms, but I haven't tried so maybe someone else can comment if they have.
I do know you don't want to accidentally ( or purposely) get hooked on pregabalin.

If I had to do it over I probably would have went the valium taper route.

Good luck 👍

Last edited:
Hi, I am completely new to posting here, so forgive me if I am doing this wrong. I really just would like some help / advice. I’ve been taking around 8mg - 10mg of Xanax daily for 3 years. Last two times I tried to stop, I had grand mal seizures at work (thank god I wasn’t driving). I am terrified about quitting, but I do want off. I have tried tapering and was to scared to actually stop, which ended up with me getting back to my normal dose. I see people talking a lot about Valium and lorazepam for the taper since they are long acting. If done the right way with the right meds, could I possibly avoid the seizures? My next question is, I want to do this legitimately and I do not know how to obtain Valium or any other benzo through a doctor. The last one just told me good luck and sent me out the door with nothing and recommended an inpatient facility. Problem is I am the only income in my household and couldn’t take off work for that long. Is there any way I could explain my situation to a doctor and do an outpatient taper, because even on the black market I cannot obtain any Valium or any benzo for that matter, other than Xanax and klonopin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Klonopin is longer acting than Xanax (every benzo is). So as a start that's probably better. I haven't been prescribed Xanax in maybe 20 years and don't know if docs can even do it here anymore.

I want to do this legitimately and I do not know how to obtain Valium or any other benzo through a doctor. The last one just told me good luck and sent me out the door with nothing and recommended an inpatient facility.

Excuse me while I go and explode with anger over these assholes. You had seizures in the past ffs.. I never have from benzos or alcohol, so I'm probably not at risk. You try to do the right thing by getting Valium and the smug c***** tell you "good luck".

You can explain your situation a million different ways to an anti-benzo doc and it won't matter. There are sympathetic ones but they're few and far between nowadays.

I'm tapering off xanax right now using valium. I've already halved my dose in like 6 weeks. Then again I wasn't taking it as long as you. I'm actually getting mine from a methadone clinic. Maybe you could do the same? Doctors there are usually more understanding about drug dependence and what not. Or you could order them off the dark web but its gonna be really expensive. Gabapentin would help but idk if it would be enough on its own. Maybe in combination with the valium... which is what I'm doing.

Damn I need the dark web. Money isn't such an issue but I need actual physical help - instructions won't work, I need someone to do it for me.

You needa switch to valium and slowly taper, the equivalent of thst probably is around 80mg to a 100mg or the same mg in clonazepam could be aswell but valium is more recommended, it's better for tapering since it has the longest half life. And this is kids why XANAX is dangerous as fuck, when you get to these kinda doses....1 grand mal seizure and you're dead. Benzos are no joke.

^ I second this/the gabapentin. It was a life saver for me when I finally realized I had some stashed away.
I did a really fast taper off 2.5 mg after 3 years.
I tapered the xanax for like 2 weeks and then jumped.
I highly don't recommend going this route.
Having said that, with the gaba for seizures/calming the sides it has been doable.

Could I have done it and worked? I'm honestly not sure about that.
Definitely not for first 7 days, but after that if I just had to I guess.
When the psychosis hits ( and it will hit) your not going to be worth much mentally for that first week or so.
Not to mention for the firet week sleep will be very little.

I have heard many people use pregabalin ( Lyrica) to really reduce the wd symptoms, but I haven't tried so maybe someone else can comment if they have.
I do know you don't want to accidentally ( or purposely) get hooked on pregabalin.

If I had to do it over I probably would have went the valium taper route.

Good luck 👍
Hi,

Lyrica are identical ingredients to gabepetin just a lot stronger. Typically, gabepetin is much easier to get from a Dr.

oh thank you for that because i thought lyrica and gabepentin were the same thing.

so i have both of those then. i mistook lyrica for being pregablin !

How do people end up with a 10 mg / day Xanax habit?

I mean, doctors usually start you with 0,25 mg x 3 or 0,5 mg x 3 -- so how do you up with taking five Xanax bars a day?

"Okay, doc, this helps a bit but not enough, can I get more?"

"The drug worked, but it seems to have lost it's efficacy." (due to tolerance)

How do people end up with a 10 mg / day Xanax habit?

I mean, doctors usually start you with 0,25 mg x 3 or 0,5 mg x 3 -- so how do you up with taking five Xanax bars a day?

"Okay, doc, this helps a bit but not enough, can I get more?"

"The drug worked, but it seems to have lost it's efficacy." (due to tolerance)
If the u have real PTSD and panic attacks daily some pyschs will give high doses. Sometimes you gradually build up with your Dr. Also, so many drs take benzos themselves. It also depends on your age and if you are in a data base
for opioids, which I'm not. Perceptive drs will look you dead in eye and usually know if you need or want them.

i mistook lyrica for being pregablin
It is: Lyrica = pregabalin.
One could get started on tapering down the alprazolam now if wanting to get off. Maybe drop 1mg every week or two. Keep the other meds for when ya go from 1 or 1/2 mg to 0mg. It would be a waste of decent aids to take them now in my opinion.

Damn I need the dark web. Money isn't such an issue but I need actual physical help - instructions won't work, I need someone to do it for me.
Yeah like a teacher. Not a document. Someone in the driver seat showing us every click we need to make and help set up. I totally get it. At work II have to go through documents because a lot of knowledge has left. Tired of it. I need like a class on how too. That may never happen though. Right now anything I need daily is legal. lol Anywhoo..

Good luck OP. I have a lot of respect for you all that actually take the bull by the horns and win. Seems like a tough journey. But lots of posts of people getting past it. OCD2DOC has good thread and in the process of winning. That's always awesome. With humor too.

Yeah like a teacher. Not a document. Someone in the driver seat showing us every click we need to make and help set up. I totally get it. At work II have to go through documents because a lot of knowledge has left. Tired of it. I need like a class on how too. That may never happen though. Right now anything I need daily is legal. lol Anywhoo..

Well I'd even pay someone to just DO IT. If I have to deal with technology it just adds a script of benzos to the order lol.

you've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread, and of course i think with a doc treatment inpatient is the only, necessary and medically advisable, safest way to go. but im just here for moral support to say, i've done it cold turkey, as long as you are determined enough and willing to embrace that it will just suck no matter how you slice it for a little while, it can be done and be over with soon enough. just one of those things you have to get over with usually. wish you well and safe recovery. tough to go through, but you can come out the other end and it'll be okay.

find some staff that'll take good care of you, reach out for support. if you dont find the answers you're looking for in one place, keep searching. take care of yourself, for real. top priority.

It is: Lyrica = pregabalin.
One could get started on tapering down the alprazolam now if wanting to get off. Maybe drop 1mg every week or two. Keep the other meds for when ya go from 1 or 1/2 mg to 0mg. It would be a waste of decent aids to take them now in my opinion.
Take Whaat ????

Oh got it. I am in the benzo thread. Thanks for that so much. I am being led to believe that Lyrica = pregabalin can actually help with pain, lol ??

(2) Switching to a long-acting benzodiazepine.
With relatively short-acting benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Xanax) and lorazepam (Ativan) (Table 1, Chapter I), it is not possible to achieve a smooth decline in blood and tissue concentrations. These drugs are eliminated fairly rapidly with the result that concentrations fluctuate with peaks and troughs between each dose. It is necessary to take the tablets several times a day and many people experience a "mini-withdrawal", sometimes a craving, between each dose.

For people withdrawing from these potent, short-acting drugs it is advisable to switch to a long-acting, slowly metabolised benzodiazepine such as diazepam. Diazepam (Valium) is one of the most slowly eliminated benzodiazepines. It has a half-life of up to 200 hours, which means that the blood level for each dose falls by only half in about 8.3 days. The only other benzodiazepines with similar half-lives are chlordiazepoxide (Librium), flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) and flurazepam (Dalmane), all of which are converted to a diazepam metabolite in the body. The slow elimination of diazepam allows a smooth, gradual fall in blood level, allowing the body to adjust slowly to a decreasing concentration of the benzodiazepines. The switch-over process needs to be carried out gradually, usually in stepwise fashion, substituting one dose at a time. There are several factors to consider. One is the difference in potency between different benzodiazepines. Many people have suffered because they have been switched suddenly to a different, less potent drug in inadequate dosage because the doctor has not adequately considered this factor. Equivalent potencies of benzodiazepines are shown in Table 1 (Chapter I), but these are only approximate and differ between individuals.

The spoiler is from the The Ashton Manual Chapter 2.

For home taper see Slow Withdrawal Schedules.​

If you have had seizures before go to your doctor.

Lyrica = pregabalin can actually help with pain, lol
Not a pain med per se but can help with neuropathic pain(s) if taken regularly (this is the thought, anyway).
I think in this thread the pregab would mask some of the withdrawal from benzos in theory. Not sure how efficatious this would be as I have no experience with this tactic personally.
<3