• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Trying to cut down on kratom

xaddictx

Bluelighter
I've been using kratom for a few years now. Now I'm at the point I have to dose every 2 hours, waking up a few times a night I have to take some every time. I still enjoy the effects of it but I'd like to cut back from taking some every time I think about it. If I stopped cold, I know I'd get withdrawals because I had them before from kratom. Should I taper or take a break from it? Some of you BL heavyweights chime in. Thanks 😏

One of the worst things about kratom addiction is how short the duration is.

If I take it too soon before sleep, it keeps me awake for a few hours. But if I don't take it right before sleep, I wake up in withdrawal after 4 hours of sleep. It's really annoying.

Anyways, I find tapering kratom fairly easy to a certain point. It starts to become difficult once I go under 10g total per day.

Do you know how much you're taking total?

How much are you guys taking? I'm up to 15-20g/day but I don't get withdrawals during sleep
Recently my doses range dramatically, I'd say around 12-14g on average. I can't take more than 20g these days without serious side effects, my body doesn't tolerate kratom as well after so many years. In the past I've gone as high as 45g+ per day.

One thing I've noticed with kratom is there is variability in withdrawal onset based on dosage pattern. Smaller but more frequent doses will make withdrawal come on more quickly. Larger but less frequent doses can delay withdrawal onset considerably.

I've experienced withdrawal onset anywhere from 6hr to 20hr+ since last dose (I consider withdrawal onset as when restlessness/muscle soreness sets in). Kratom is really weird like that. My best guess is there is a metabolization rate limiting effect, or that taking larger doses delays absorption considerably.

In the past when I would dose 14g at a time, I could take my last dose of the day at 2pm, go to bed at midnight, and sleep until 8am no issues. But now since I take smaller 4-6g doses, I have to dose at 10pm and *pray* I can sleep until 6am.

Last edited:
I've been using kratom for a few years now. Now I'm at the point I have to dose every 2 hours, waking up a few times a night I have to take some every time. I still enjoy the effects of it but I'd like to cut back from taking some every time I think about it. If I stopped cold, I know I'd get withdrawals because I had them before from kratom. Should I taper or take a break from it? Some of you BL heavyweights chime in. Thanks 😏
Everyone is different, but I'm a believer in cutting down. If you're able to make a reduction plan and stick to it, then that's the way.

I appreciate posts like yours because it reminds me to be careful with Kratom. I've cut down from where I was a year or 2 ago. I think I'm doing a good job of controlling it. And one piece of evidence I use to support that is this: My bowel movements aren't weird anymore. That's kinda/sorta my measure for if I'm abusing it or overusing it... if my BMs are normal.

Last edited:
One of the worst things about kratom addiction is how short the duration is.

If I take it too soon before sleep, it keeps me awake for a few hours. But if I don't take it right before sleep, I wake up in withdrawal after 4 hours of sleep. It's really annoying.

Anyways, I find tapering kratom fairly easy to a certain point. It starts to become difficult once I go under 10g total per day.

Do you know how much you're taking total?
Not off hand in the exact amount I'm taking but I'd say 5 capsules or one full tsp of the powdered kratom every 3 to 4 hours. Its usually the red strain....maeng da.

Everyone is different, but I'm a believer in cutting down. If you're able to make a reduction plan and stick to it, then that's the way.

I appreciate posts like yours because it reminds me to be careful with Kratom. I've cut down from where I was a year or 2 ago. I think I'm doing a good job of controlling it. And one piece of evidence I use to support that is this: My bowel movements aren't weird anymore. That's kinda/sorta my measure for if I'm abusing it or overusing it... if my BMs are normal.
Thanks man. Much appreciated.

How would you describe a weird BM? My morning dose of kratom causes everything to fly out
Recently my doses range dramatically, I'd say around 12-14g on average. I can't take more than 20g these days without serious side effects, my body doesn't tolerate kratom as well after so many years. In the past I've gone as high as 45g+ per day.

One thing I've noticed with kratom is there is variability in withdrawal onset based on dosage pattern. Smaller but more frequent doses will make withdrawal come on more quickly. Larger but less frequent doses can delay withdrawal onset considerably.

I've experienced withdrawal onset anywhere from 6hr to 20hr+ since last dose (I consider withdrawal onset as when restlessness/muscle soreness sets in). Kratom is really weird like that. My best guess is there is a metabolization rate limiting effect, or that taking larger doses delays absorption considerably.

In the past when I would dose 14g at a time, I could take my last dose of the day at 2pm, go to bed at midnight, and sleep until 8am no issues. But now since I take smaller 4-6g doses, I have to dose at 10pm and *pray* I can sleep until 6am.
I sleep better when my dose is far from bed time but not to the point of withdrawal. When I was taking 6-10g/day I would sometimes need to take 0.8g before bed to actually sleep well but mitragynine has a really long half life and now that I'm taking a lot more, if I dose close to bed I sleep worse. I'm currently taking 4-6g doses and before I was taking 2-4g

tbh I was never able to stop Kratom. I had this big plan to stop but right as I did I ran into relationship problems so, at least partially because of that, it didn't last longer than a week. The more Kratom I took it, the shorter the duration felt and the more and more side effects I got, including anxiety and heart palpitations. So I switched to suboxone which feels a lot more stable, helped me function at work too. Not as many ups and downs. The confidence from Kratom... caused problems.

tbh I was never able to stop Kratom. I had this big plan to stop but right as I did I ran into relationship problems so, at least partially because of that, it didn't last longer than a week. The more Kratom I took it, the shorter the duration felt and the more and more side effects I got, including anxiety and heart palpitations. So I switched to suboxone which feels a lot more stable, helped me function at work too. Not as many ups and downs. The confidence from Kratom... caused problems.
Are health care providers doing suboxone for kratom dependence?

Am I right saying kratomndoesnt show up on pee tests for morphine. I recently learned oxy doesn't and just wondered how many opiods dont?

Am I right saying kratomndoesnt show up on pee tests for morphine. I recently learned oxy doesn't and just wondered how many opiods dont?
Kratom is not tested for on any drug tests.

However, I have read that Kratom can cause a false positive for methadone on certain antigen based tests. I don't think the average person has to worry about that, though. It's not a standard test.

I'm guessing you might have a story or 2 here. Care to share? I may have some follow-up thoughts/ideas on this
Oh nothing too exciting I'm afraid. I would take it at work at right when I would peak I would start feeling almost manic and start saying things and sharing things at inappropriate times.

If you want a funny story though I'll give you one.... one time I was up all weekend on meth and had to work my job at a pawn shop, so I took some xanax to try and calm my nerves, however, that also threw my inhibitions out the window. Part of my job was to test and clean items that people never picked up before putting them out for sale. I had this great idea to do a 'mysery box' of items. So I grabbed the biggest box I could find, and started throwing everything in there, tvs, toaster ovens, guitars ( of which I'm pretty sure it broke in half trying to fit in the box). Put a bow on it, and put on the floor. Then next came a compound bow, now yes I am supposed to test the items but that doesn't usually include weapons. So I loaded the bow, shot right in the store and an arrow landed but a foot from a customer trying to take out loan. Believe it or not I didn't actually get fired. I did get sent to rehab though.

Any drug that doesn't break down into morphine shouldn't show in the 7 panel test ( So basically any opioid other than morphine, codeine, heroin, and mayhaps a few others). They are developing new lab tests all the time though so its possible they have one that can detect kratom idk, however if you're worried about something like a job interview I would say you are pretty safe.

I would make a taper schedule and log everything. Also be prepared to level off if the taper ends up being too fast. Catching that quickly and leveling off for a bit requires introspection which you definitely possess if you use this site.

Swim went from 9g 3x a day to micro-dosing (under 1g) 3x day to taking neltrexone to stop. Adjusted by cutting each almost by half over 3 weeks…not much difference from 9g to 6g, but weird difference from 6g to 2g (felt wd symptoms over the week as body adjusted, anxious, yawning, some sweat). Then difference again from 2g to under 1g per day dose (same thing anxious, yawning, some sweat). Body adjusted over 2 days tops…tapper is the way to go. Quit before off 15g/ day and was not great before this was much less severe but very hard to keep to schedule but wrote each dose down and what time.

Also, started to wait for 1-2 hours in morning to wake up before hand. In that time I took blackseed oil at night 1g and helped a lot. In morning I took a agmantine 1500mg in morning in hopes to potentiate Kratom and worked somewhat. Took ashwaghanda during day to lessen anxious feeling. Started to space out use to 4-6 hours and gave body time to adjust.

It sounds like a lot but was rewarding to stick to schedule and never used until swims body felt was in some type of minor wd. This is a big deal…lessen dosages, start to space out use, add black seed oil.

Was very successful. Lots of horror stories on here but it can be done. When tapering you have to understand you will not feel 100%, but that means you are doing it right. Idea is to keep full blown wd at bay and start to deal with life responsibilities without feeling “high” or great.

Measured each dose, switched strains at the end…went from Maeng Da red, to thai green, to white. It’s been said those have mush different levels of alkaloids so it starts to let your body adjust.

Swim went from 9g 3x a day to micro-dosing (under 1g) 3x day to taking neltrexone to stop. Adjusted by cutting each almost by half over 3 weeks…not much difference from 9g to 6g, but weird difference from 6g to 2g (felt wd symptoms over the week as body adjusted, anxious, yawning, some sweat). Then difference again from 2g to under 1g per day dose (same thing anxious, yawning, some sweat). Body adjusted over 2 days tops…tapper is the way to go. Quit before off 15g/ day and was not great before this was much less severe but very hard to keep to schedule but wrote each dose down and what time.

Also, started to wait for 1-2 hours in morning to wake up before hand. In that time I took blackseed oil at night 1g and helped a lot. In morning I took a agmantine 1500mg in morning in hopes to potentiate Kratom and worked somewhat. Took ashwaghanda during day to lessen anxious feeling. Started to space out use to 4-6 hours and gave body time to adjust.

It sounds like a lot but was rewarding to stick to schedule and never used until swims body felt was in some type of minor wd. This is a big deal…lessen dosages, start to space out use, add black seed oil.

Was very successful. Lots of horror stories on here but it can be done. When tapering you have to understand you will not feel 100%, but that means you are doing it right. Idea is to keep full blown wd at bay and start to deal with life responsibilities without feeling “high” or great.

Measured each dose, switched strains at the end…went from Maeng Da red, to thai green, to white. It’s been said those have mush different levels of alkaloids so it starts to let your body adjust.
Thanks for the input! You're right, tapering is definitely the way to go. How dobyou feel about naltrexone?

Side note, we don't swim here as its against the BLUA and offers no real legal protection