• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Trying MDMA for the first time after 2 weeks of being off antidepressants?

nicedge

Greenlighter
For the past year and a half I was taking antidepressants (italopram), and I had heard that MDMA + SSRIs don't mix well, so I never tried it.

I tapered slowly off the medication from 20mg, to 10, to 5 and then to 2mg. I've been off them completely for around a week and a half.

Now that I'm off them, my friend suggested I finally try md. Is it too early to take it?

Last edited:
Yep it is. If you were on them for a year and a half and have only been off them for 2 weeks it's too soon. SSRI's dull or even completely mute MDMA's effects and they do so for a while after you have stopped taking them, certainly if you've been on them for a year and a half. Taking MDMA when you were on an SSRI is not particularly dangerous but it will not be worth it, you won't feel what MDMA really feels like and so it will be a real waste of what could very well be one of the best nights of your life. MDMA is absolutely magical, but not if it's in any way dulled by an SSRI, then it just becomes a dirty-feeling stimulant. All the empathogenic and euphoric properties will be almost undetectable or completely absent even. You were only on an SSRI, no other antidepressants?

In any case, if it was only an SSRI, I would wait at least two months before you try it, and I suspect even then you're not going to experience the full effects, though everyone is different so it's possible. Only do this if you're sure it was an SSRI in case this wasn't clear, this is important. Example: MAOI antidepressants + MDMA = certain trip to the ER and very real risk of injury or death, that is a really dangerous combination

Last edited:
I'm sure all my antidepressants were SSRI's. However, I'm fairly sure the half-life of citalopram (what I had been taking) is around 35 hours. If I've been off for over a week (and the last dosage I took was only 2mg), surely it's completely out my system by now?

Yep it should be, but the effects it has on your serotonin system usually linger for quite a while longer, more so if you've been on them for a long time. I've heard people that were on them for years and years and didn't experience the full effects even after two years of being off SSRI's. There is no immediate danger involved so you could try it, but I can almost guarantee you're going to be disappointed. Though again everyone is different so who knows

Should you try it and you think afterwards "MDMA is alright, but it's not really magical", you know you didn't feel the full effects. Good MDMA (did you test it with a testkit) for your first time is absolutely...profound. But again, I wouldn't do it, it's a bit of a waste, though you can always try again later if you don't succeed this time. Welcome to bluelight by the way :D

Ok, thank you for giving me some more detail. I think I'll try it because my friend is paying for me- if I remember I'll make a post about my experience on here! :)

It takes roughly a month for transporters to fully function properly after antidepressant cessation in my experience, especially since citalopram has a 35 hour half life.