• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Trump might be coming for your weed

poledriver

Bluelighter
Trump might be coming for your weed

Donald Trump says he has never smoked pot — and apparently he’s not a fan of people who do.

Trump’s press secretary, Sean Spicer, suggested on Thursday that the Trump administration could crack down on the 8 states that have legalized marijuana for recreational use. Spicer said the Justice Dept. would be “further looking into” the question of whether to enforce federal anti-marijuana laws more aggressively, and went on to say, “I do believe that you’ll see greater enforcement of it.”

That would be an abrupt change from the federal policies of the last several years, and a big setback for the burgeoning legal marijuana industry. Marijuana is classified as a Schedule 1 controlled substance, which means federal law prohibits its use. But after Colorado and Washington declared recreational pot legal in 2012, President Obama famously said, “we’ve got bigger fish to fry,” indicating that his administration would look the other way instead of enforcing the federal law, which preempts state law.

Weed enthusiasts hoped Trump would be just as chill. In 2015, Trump said the question of legalizing pot should be a “state issue, state-by-state,” which, essentially it has been. A January report from a publication called Marijuana Business Daily concluded that “we will see a continuation of some form of the status quo.”

But the Trump administration has now signaled for the first time that it may disrupt the status quo. And the chief disrupter may not be Trump himself, but Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who is a longtime foe of legal marijuana. During his confirmation hearing in January, Sessions was noncommittal on the issue, leaving himself open to either continuing the Obama policy or getting tougher. “I won’t commit to never enforcing federal law,” he said, somewhat elliptically.

Spicer’s reference to “greater enforcement” suggests the Trump administration is now forming a more coherent policy on the issue. Legalized pot has grown into a $5 billion business, with California, Nevada, Oregon, Alaska, Massachusetts, Maine and the District of Columbia also legalizing the drug for recreational use since 2012. Another 19 states allow marijuana use for medicinal purposes. Polls show 60% of Americans support the idea of legal marijuana, the highest level on record.

Spicer did stipulate the importance of medical marijuana, suggesting Trump would continue to allow that. Still, Trump would be swimming against the tide if he cracked down on pot at all, and the federal government probably doesn’t have the budget or personpower to police pot on a dealer-by-dealer basis. But Trump is shaping himself as a law-and-order president, and might figure it’s important to win points with anti-drug purists, even if they’re a minority.

If Trump were to crack down on legal pot, it would certainly discourage investment in an industry that’s evolving from a patchwork of pop-up shops to a more regulated and professionalized sector with brands and standards. Trump can’t close every pot boutique, but he can interfere with funding, limit growth and just be a buzzkill. Maybe pot CEOs should seek an invitation to the White House, to tell the president how they feel about Washington interference in their business.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-might-be-coming-for-your-weed-231515133.html

Meh. I doubt that a "crackdown" would be effective even if it were attempted...I remember reading a statistic a while back that the active cooperation/coordination of local law enforcement agencies took place in about 99% of federal drug cases. I doubt that local law enforcement in places like Washington or Colorado (and especially in my home state of Alaska) are going to be particularly enthusiastic about prosecuting what amounts to legitimate businesses at this point. And we're living in an era in which mayors of large cities (and even smaller cities/towns) are going on the record saying that they will not cooperate with the federal gov't in regards to enforcing immigration law, even at the risk of losing federal funds, so it's not inconceivable to me that local officials will drag their heels or just simply refuse to enforce the law as it stands at the federal level.

I hope so man.
The US cannabis laws are a beacon of hope for the rest of us.

elect a gop candidate you get gop policies. don't care if trump is an "outsider" nobody in washington is an outsider

If he had any business acumen whatsoever he'd already have his own Trump Tower strain. Such a dumbass.

With white, surgically implanted hairs on the bud?
Genentically modified in a chinese RC lab?

Sounds about right.

I hope so man.
The US cannabis laws are a beacon of hope for the rest of us.

Yeah, I agree, the policies regarding cannabis in some states in the USA are some of the most progressive in the world...definitely examples that I hope other states (and countries) emulate

Don't get me wrong, I think that Trump's administration could be quite reactionary when it comes to cannabis and drugs laws in general...but I don't see the situation in legalized recreational states going back to what it was like during the Obama administration pre-2012, when the DEA would routinely roll into medical dispensaries that complied with state law and seize everything, etc.

With white, surgically implanted hairs on the bud?
Genentically modified in a chinese RC lab?

Sounds about right.
It would in all probability a Russian ruderalis strain..a gift from Putin..that looks like the real thing but has absolutely no substance. #Fakepot

White House Promises 'Greater Enforcement' of Federal Marijuana Laws

The Trump Administration will step up enforcement of federal laws barring recreational marijuana in states where its use is legalized, the White House said Thursday.

Asked about the conflict between federal laws barring recreational marijuana and the handful of states that allow it, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said the Administration would change direction from the more permissive approach under President Obama.

"I do believe you'll see greater enforcement of it," Spicer told reporters Thursday during the White House briefing.

It would represent the latest policy shift from the Obama Administration, which declined to enforce federal laws in states that legalized weed, such as Colorado and Washington, as long as the states regulated the marketplace.

As he prepared to leave office, former President Obama came out in favor of legalizing marijuana.

He added that the Trump Administration would not seek to enforce federal statutes against those using marijuana for medical purposes.

Spicer repeatedly linked the use of marijuana to the nationwide opioid abuse epidemic, suggesting without offering proof that marijuana is a gateway drug to more serious substances.

Earlier in the briefing, Spicer touted the president and the GOP's commitment to deferring to the states over the federal government on controversial issues.

“We are a states’ rights party," he said while discussing a reversal of Obama-era guidance on transgender student bathroom use.

http://time.com/4681109/white-house-recreational-marijuana-laws/

I wonder how many Americans would react, a majority of US citizens support legalization.

I suspect Trump's already record low approval rating would drop further.

Then again - maybe not. His supporters don't seem to be swayed by....reality.

I wonder how many Americans would react, a majority of US citizens support legalization.

as i always allude to, 90% of americans favored increased background checks and laws for gun purchasing, didn't happen. citizens wants have nothing to do with anything

So far I've heard people who are for "less government" back ideas like the agents of the federation (prefer calling it this now as it adds a sinister big government feel to it) demanding paperwork stating you can be here and now this concept. It really makes you wonder what this whole "less government" platform is about. Did they seriously just mean gun laws when everyone says they want less government? I can tolerate a lot of different types of government and implications but the one thing i do not like is government agents going to individuals demanding information or leads. That is big government, not "you might have to wait longer for your guns"