• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Trouble with making edibles

Durzo1258

Bluelighter
Hi

I've seem to encounter some issue when making edibles, namely they either work almost too well or not at all. I've so far only tried milkshakes as making brownies is too much hassle given how I don't know how to make normal ones in the first place. The steps I follow are

1. Grind up .5 g of weed
2. Place in a pre heated oven at ~240 F or 115 C* (I use separate thermometer to make sure the temperature is right)
3. Allow to cook for ~35 minutes
4. Put the weed in a saucepan with a tall glass worth of full fat milk and allow to simmer for another 40 minutes
5. Allow to cool down and prepare the milkshake

I've tried to the following 4 times and so far got a 50% success rate. On the two occasion that it worked I got absolutely floored, but the other two barely gave a tiniest buzz.
I doubt it's the quality of weed because when smoked it sure isn't weak bud. Any advice how increase my success rate ?

Last edited:
Sometimes edibles are strong. Other times it’s not that great but you still feel it

Just my experience.

Edibles have a huge amount of reaction to what is in your stomach already, what you eat shortly after and how smoothly your metabolism works. Using edibles occasionally at random times will make it difficult to predict. If you continue the same production method but be aware of your physical metabolism each time you should find a more consistent experience.

I've used edibles daily for years and if I'm bloated or sick to my stomach I will smoke or vape to avoid issues with edibles. Beyond an upset stomach I won't eat a large meal before edibles or within a few hours to avoid delays in the drugs arrival.

I find tolerance builds really fast too. Like i cant do edibles every day - and it seems a bit seperate from the tolerance i get from smoking or vaping weed.
Agreed though - empty stomach always.

I agree SJ, the two tolerances are different and I have used edibles daily for just over 4 years now with occasional breaks. I don't feel very stoned from edibles at all. I do feel stoned if I smoke or vape but the duration is short.

I also find if I smoke today in the evening I will wake up tomorrow more lazy, if I use only edibles I don't get lazy at all from it. So there is something more then tolerance but the weed I'm smoking is not the same crop as the weed I'm eating so many other reasons I don't see could be at play as well.

The best way of dosing edible cannabis is to extract your decarboxylated weed with freezing cold ethanol, filter, then evaporate the alcohol down to concentration desired and use as ethanolic tincture or completely evaporate alcohol and mix the resulting amber sticky oil with mixture of sunflower and olive oils on warm waterbath to allow smooth and even mixing. Ed: Has to be highest grade ethanol - 95 or higher, decarbed weed has to frozen overnight too.

Ethanolic tinctures are useful as you can dose your cookies or any food with that and also its quite useful as anti-inflammatory compress for external use.

Oily tinctures are very versatile and easy to use, with the quickest onset when dosing under the tongue. You can make it really, really concentrated...=D

If everything is done right, there is consistency to dosing effects. Been using vaporizer's leftovers and getting awesome results extracting it for years now!

I agree on the edibles tolerance but if dosed under the tongue, it doesnt seem to matter that much, at least IME.

Last edited:
Since THC is lipophilic (fat soluable)....try using a substance with higher fat content to extract the THC. If you use butter, or coconut oil, you can just use that fat as you wish.....toast, salads, or just eat it.....

Having read a lot of posts on this forum, it's plain to see I don't have the foggiest idea about the possible effects of some substances.8(

SOME of the stuff I've never even HEARD of 8o.

But I'm a wizard in the kitchen with a nice lump of resin =D

My advice is to cook it in something with a high fat content, shortbread or brownie mix with extra oil. At least 30 mins in t'oven.
The effect is always the same ( for me) ..... slow to start but once it's there I have a very chilled day.

Someone once gave me some of the 'modern' weed, that really smelly stuff. I didn't realise it was ridiculously strong and, having cooked it as per resin recipe, I spent 2 days feeling horrid :(
Everything that came outta my body REEKED of this stuff.
Obviously I'm a lightweight because I'd cooked a batch for my friend who grows the stuff and he thought it was spot on :\.

Now I'm extremely careful about what I consume =D

Are you consuming it on empty? That's the biggest factor far as absorption goes. I find makin an edible oil is the way to go, no bulky food to get in the way. Everyones comments about differing tolerances between vaping, smoking, bong rips, edibles is so true too! Switching the ROA will work but will only get you so far. Youll need a body break sooner or later to drop tolly.

Last edited: