• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Trouble sleeping, hypnagogic hallucinations, nightmares, waking up often while using?

Apocalypse_when, I'm not saying that it is, but there are some things that happen that are stranger than fiction. Besides, I don't use psychedelics anymore. Weed and opiates don't cause large cuts to appear out of nowhere, bruises and sleep paralysis maybe, but not large gashes and deafening ear-ringing. If you woke up with missing time un-related to drug use, feeling confused and scared with your ears ringing along with wounds you can't account for, perhaps you wouldn't be joking about it. I have my own beliefs, but I'm not an irrational person in spite of my drug use. I know that logical explanations need to be taken into account first, but in some rare situations there are none. You could have just ignored my comment if you didn't agree or like what I said, but for whatever reason you feel compelled to insult me. I hope being rude to people does more for you than it does for me. I'd rather just stick to pain meds when I need instant gratification in my life, but that's just me...

Lol... why do people who believe in such insane things as missing time when being fucked up on drugs being a sign that they were abducted by aliens get so incredibly offended when others point out that they are perhaps being irrational?

Anyway, must dash...

My UFO is double parked :)

it depends how often it happens.
sometimes i used to like it, but if i was exhausted and needed a good sleep it could be frustrating as hell.
the were some nights where i just wanted to get to sleep so i could function at work in the morning, and it's like being tangled up in a net when you really just want to waltz into dreamland.
i mean, you go to some kind of dreamland, but not a very restful one in my experience.

but early on i enjoyed it, especially on really hot muggy summer nights, which you may or may not be able to relate to :)

that's an interesting observation - and i would say the same. bupe, oxycodone (both thebaine derivatives) and pst were the worst for me.
pod tea less so, and i think that may have something to do with the sort of pharma crop in tasmania the seeds originated from; the stimmy effects seemed to increase at some point, which i assumed was related to the 'norman' strain of poppies being used.
Yeah if it were pharmaceutical grade poppies they're actually bred to be higher in thebaine than anything else for refining purposes, because thebaine is used for so many drugs and it takes so much thebaine to make a new drug out of, iirc.

Morphine and its derivatives seem to be less prone to these negative side effects, but have their own unique ones instead.

Apocalypse_when, I guess you don't know how to read. I never said I was certain that my strange experiences are due to alien abduction, just merely a possibility. I also said "missing time UNRELATED to drug use". But whatever. If you're a skeptic, that's your business. Have fun trolling people and being a dick about things you don't understand. I hope you find a better hobby or better drugs in the near future to occupy your time.

Last edited:
Apocalypse_when, I guess you don't know how to read. I never said I was certain that my strange experiences are due to alien abduction, just merely a possibility. I also said "missing time UNRELATED to drug use". But whatever. If you're a skeptic, that's your business. Have fun trolling people and being a dick about things you don't understand. I hope you find a better hobby or better drugs in the near future to occupy your time.

Wow.. I guess im lucky being rude to people doesn't do much for you eh?

Bit of a hypocrite much?

You definitely need to either stay off the drugs or off the internet...I dont think youre suited to both.. Or maybe you'd care to enlighten everyone about the missing hours youve experienced when you were on board the mothership?

Do us all a favour and dont procreate.

I only have experience with poppy tea but I would get this too. I would sleep for a few minutes and then bolt up right gasping and it would feel like I've gotten a whole nights sleep but I look at the clock and it's only been like 5 minutes. It seemed worse the more sleep deprived I was.

"i would echo the melatonin and weed advice - but also just say that you should avoid the temptation to use benzos or any other CNS depressant."

THIS! Abusing alcohol and benzos for a few years and I truly fucked up my ability to sleep. I can't take a catnap in the afternoon, often take hours to fall asleep, and usually wake up at 3 or 4am and can't fall back asleep. Benzos don't even work on me anymore. I can take 4mg of clonazepam or alprazolam and it only knocks me out for a few hours and I'm awake again. Most people would black out for 12 to 18 hours. Alcohol is even worse. It works on me as a stimulant instead of a depressant. If I drink alcohol I am tachycardic and jittery for days.

With that being said, I am a seasoned opiate user and I have never experienced this opiate insomnia which seems many have experienced. I sleep great. I took 100mg of dope which I haven't done in a month and I felt great and slept like a baby. I've been working a job for a month that I have to get up at 5am for. I often can't fall asleep til 1 or 2am. I was achy and sore and fatigued and I felt great last night and all day today. The body ache from chronic lack of sleep went away too. Being chronically sleep deprived is a terrible feeling. The delerium, lack of focus, and achy joints and muscles are miserable.

No drug should be used to the point of dependence, but we addicts can't help ourselves. Echoing the "hindsight is 20/20" phrase, if I could go back 10 years and have the ability to have never used a drug, I would do it.

Dopie, you are certainly not alone in your experiences...the countless hours spent frustrated lying in bed. Being jerked awake or experiencing bizarre, brief nightmares. Being exhausted but completely unable to fall asleep. Never found a remedy, even with what other people have suggested. Just something I have come to accept and plan around.

Thought I'd reply because I don't see too many people who react in the same way.

Last edited:
This is happening to me right now after eating opium and oxycodone and diazepam... when it happens I try to wake up for a while and sober up more until I can sleep, I would like to know what the side effects from thebaine opioids some people talking about on this thread refer to.

I only have experience with poppy tea but I would get this too. I would sleep for a few minutes and then bolt up right gasping and it would feel like I've gotten a whole nights sleep but I look at the clock and it's only been like 5 minutes. It seemed worse the more sleep deprived I was.
Bang on. That's exactly how it feels. Until you take too much and can't stay awake. But even then the sleep is horrible and broken. I've never woken up to piss/drink water/smoke cigarettes/eat/every other excuse to get out of bed, until I was on heroin. Then I'd be rolling out of bed every half hour/forty five minutes to smoke a cigarette. Especially after a really bad dope nightmare when u don't WANT to go back to sleep.

Lol good times