• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Trouble Peeing on Opiates: Urinary retention issues Q&A Megathread

^lol tramadol.

I'm actually having the opposite problem now, i've been drinking alot of caffeine and now everytime I have to piss it's a huge production. I have to go like i've never gone before in my life. It's obviously from the caffeine, maybe i'll drink a little less.

ya tramadol gave me the hardest time peeing than any other opiate or opiod, or opiate replacement meds......

i has made success

I was about ready to self-catheterise before discovering this - SQUAT! Like so:

pedestalsquattoilet.jpg

Last night I was having the most difficult time keeping a constant stream going. I would urinate for a few seconds then it would stop and it'd require effort to start going again. This was pretty annoying but opana is worth it :)

Ya lately I've been having to turn the fan on and the sink just to get started. Whew!

people , why make this a mega thread? urinary retention is a classic side effect of using opiates,, i've had times where i was trying to piss for 2hrs str8, from undressing, sitting, going in shower,. it got ridoclous. its a SIDE EFFECT, until u get tolerance to ur opiate then it gets easier

suboxone.. cant urinate and another question

So I took 2 mg of suboxone one day, im currently addicted to only .5 mg. I noticed I cant pee. this is very upsetting. I have to sit down to pee at all and even then only in very small amounts and not enough. This was two days ago and im still feeling the effects. I am now taking .25-.5 at night to avoid waking up in withdrawals. Im snorting it in hopes that it wont last as long. How long does snorted suboxone last? I wanna pee again! lol. I hope this ends soon. Im not messing with my sub again IM just gonna get back to .5 so Ic an feel normal. thanks for any suggestions.

ps mods please dont move this right way to the megathread ill get more answers if it sleft as a ttopic. ty.

Last edited:
This happens (difficulty urinating) with a lot of opiates. Warm water helps. When I first took Tramadol I couldn't pee for the life of me. I ran the sink (sound of flowing water), then poured some warm water over my cock and that did the trick. I was quite scared at first. Or you can always try going in the shower, I know this can be quite bothersome if your not at home and have to go.

Urinary retention is common on opiates. I beleive the half life of bupenorphine is ~37 hours for the how long does it last question. I'm addicted to opiates so I don't feel any high or related effects so other than the half life I can't answer the duration question with more certainty. Hope that helped some.

Yes, snorting is a little shorter, check the mega thread for the details u might need. Hope u pee normally again :)

that sucks sorry ...i sometimes have problems pissin on oc and and other stuff liek that even subs.. but usually i can stand there long enuff and then bam it happens

hey there,
ive been on suboxone for almost 2 years, and for about the first year i had extreme difficulty urinating. eventually, i asked the doctor about it, and he told me that this is a very common side effect with suboxone, and nearly all opiates for that matter.

some things that always have helped me are running the water or holding your hands under hot water for a minute or so, just to get your mind onto takin a piss. but the thing that the doctor advised me to do that helped the most was sitting down at a toilet instead of standing up at a urinal.... i guess standing up puts more tension on your stomach, making it harder to pee...but if you sit down, you can relax the muscles easier and it is MUCH easier.
hope that helped some!

another thing you can do is keep your mind off of struggling to piss.. count in your head up by odd numbers while trying to pee without thinking about it.. 1,3,5,7,9 etc. you will eventually piss, this works best while sitting cuz if you are standing up trying not to think about going to the bathroom and you do go, you might miss the toilet lol.. good luck, i've been on subs for about 4 years and i still have trouble peeing, especially in public or if pressured (like for a DT)

I understand. I'm an opiate addict, and remember the days when I first started using heroin in Southeast Asia, some of which I spent going the whole day without a piss. I remember standing once in front of the toilet for at least 20 min, nothing. But everything you've read in the thread thus far is good advice, IMO (sitting down, running the water, not concentrating on your effort to piss...).

As for buprenorphine, I was on 8mg a day for over a year (this was three years ago), and I might have had a little trouble at first, but it went away with a bit of time. You'll be fine. You're taking a very low dose too, so don't worry.

I sympathize with burn100blunts, whenever im on anything stronger than oxycodone (hydromorphone, oxymorphone, methadone) i have to sit there and realloly focus for like 1-2 minutes and like clenhc/unclench/clench a few times before i can relaz and get a stream going. This never used to hsappen to me until i took a 1 month tolerance break after 2-3 weeks of heavy opana use, any idea what would trigger this?

i just wanted to add, for the record, that opiate use has affected me with this side effect.

i especially used to have a ton of trouble when i was shooting dilaudids, and having been a multiple times a day and night heroin addict, when your system is saturated with opiates, everyone knows it fucks with your means of waste disposals... but it got to where when i go into a bathroom to pee, i immediately turn on the sink, and can't urinate without a sink running. i still do this, and i'm not a daily user anymore. i do this when i'm not on drugs.

i now have a weird idiosyncrasy thanks to my heroin use. this made weekly pee tests at the methadone clinic more hell than they shouldve been. not only could i not turn on the sink, i had to pee with a burly nurse standing in the stall's open doorway.

grrr.. columbus has a terrible methadone clinic, and no recovery options for it's residents.