View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

trouble finding meaning in mushroom trips

BoneAndDream

Greenlighter
Ill starpt by saying that ive been interested in tripping for a long time. Only recently have i had access to any mushrooms. I had my second trip last night. Im still left unsatisfied. Ill explain

All over the internet, people talk about mushroom trips in this spiritual way, where they have this deep understanding of the universe and whatnot, terms like ego death are thrown around. People talk about a rabbit hole you go down

With my trips i didnt get any of that. I just get really confused, so confused to the point that it feels like im insane. I dont feel guided, i feel lost. I feel like a little kid lost in the mall separated from his mom. I feel like tom hanks on the raft in castaway, all alone, shouting for wilson, just adrift in a sea of nothing.

With my eyes open i dont see anything special. Just bending and twisting. Ill watch a move and the faces will contort like theyre made of clay, being pulled and stretched by invisible forces. When i close my eyes, i see bright, frantic patterns.

But thats it. No spirituality, no understanding, just a temporary insanity with some patterns and colors.

So what gives? Im missing something here, i dont know why i cant feel these profound feelings that i want to feel

The doses that ive taken were 7g and 3.5g. Both were the same general feeling of loneliness and confusion and being lost, but with the 3.5 the volume was just turned down on it

The mushrooms just show you what you need to see. It's a mirror for your subconscious mostly. A trip all depends on set and setting. If you feel bad, the trip will feel bad as well. You should really work on these problems instead of trying to get a quick fix out of an entheogen. I guess you got the picture already.

Try taking 2 grams and going for a walk in the woods with a buddy. Maybe smoke some herb and drink some OJ. That always worked for me. You don't need high doses to have an extremely enlightening experience.

Welcome to Bluelight!

As enigmatiq stated mushrooms do not force a trip to go a certain way, like say MDMA would, they can bring subconscious thoughts to the surface. People analyse trips to find their meaning, some claim spirituality others claim artistic beauty but in the end it is all about individual perception. If you go in with the mind set you are going to find something or learn something you will be let down, Psychedelics are not that predictable. Given your speech, which some would call typing ;) , I would classify you as not insane just as you put it confused.

Take this time to think about why you feel that way, perhaps this was your insight. The future is only as bleak as you want it to be and now that you can see these things you have the power to change them. I venture to guess the mushrooms gave you exactly what you needed, somehow you were suppose to have this struggle as you will grow from it. BL is a great place to ask questions and look for guidance so your on the right path! Dont get discouraged you seem capable of fixing all of this.

Once you conquer this struggle you can see what they hold for you next time.

Welcome to Bluelight!

As enigmatiq stated mushrooms do not force a trip to go a certain way, like say MDMA would, they can bring subconscious thoughts to the surface. People analyse trips to find their meaning, some claim spirituality others claim artistic beauty but in the end it is all about individual perception. If you go in with the mind set you are going to find something or learn something you will be let down, Psychedelics are not that predictable. Given your speech, which some would call typing ;) , I would classify you as not insane just as you put it confused.

Take this time to think about why you feel that way, perhaps this was your insight. The future is only as bleak as you want it to be and now that you can see these things you have the power to change them. I venture to guess the mushrooms gave you exactly what you needed, somehow you were suppose to have this struggle as you will grow from it. BL is a great place to ask questions and look for guidance so your on the right path! Dont get discouraged you seem capable of fixing all of this.

Once you conquer this struggle you can see what they hold for you next time.

i've only tripped twice so i know i dont have much to compare. first time i bought a quarter with the intention of taking half, but i ended up eating it all. i felt more insane with that one. i can say though that i was left with a feeling of "my life is going wrong" kind of. i thought maybe if i halved the dose i might get more clarity. nope. i think im going to try changing the setting. instead of being in my house at night with my dad asleep, next time i'm going to go camping or something when it gets warmer. i'll try a quarter again, or maybe even 8

i agree that psychedelics in general don't require high doses to achieve these effects. you might also try a different drug like DMT or LSA; just do your research before considering.

you might also consider listening to uplifting music or changing the lighting or having a trip sitter. also smells like candles and incense/oil burners are good ways to provide a change in setting.

it might also just affect you differently; but it's probably the set and setting.

Psychedelics can have therapeutic effects even if you don't find your experiences meaningful/spiritual.

I just take them for fun but after months of heavy use I have noticed some pretty significant changes in my personality (thankfully positive).

If you don't find meaning in a river flowing down into a pond, then you probably won't find meaning in a psychedelic trip either.

What I mean is that the people who make all of those grandiose claims, or say those kinds of phrases, is because they are boisterous OR they see into things/concepts and find meaning in it. One may see a figure and think, wow, is that God? Oh yes, it is! So whether they think it's God or not isn't the point, it's that they find meaning in what they saw.

Psychedelics let your mind loose and free up the shackles that a sober mind possesses. You probably experienced this and found nothing of interest about it. You spoke about the visuals, but did you ponder about how your mind/thinking was affected by the shrooms?

Some people may find enlightenment through psychs, and some may never get it. Some may not even be enlightened when they said they were. In the end, you are the driver of the whole trip and it will be up to you how it goes. [Mind]set and setting are the major factors.

If you don't find meaning in a river flowing down into a pond, then you probably won't find meaning in a psychedelic trip either.

What I mean is that the people who make all of those grandiose claims, or say those kinds of phrases, is because they are boisterous OR they see into things/concepts and find meaning in it. One may see a figure and think, wow, is that God? Oh yes, it is! So whether they think it's God or not isn't the point, it's that they find meaning in what they saw.

Psychedelics let your mind loose and free up the shackles that a sober mind possesses. You probably experienced this and found nothing of interest about it. You spoke about the visuals, but did you ponder about how your mind/thinking was affected by the shrooms?

Some people may find enlightenment through psychs, and some may never get it. Some may not even be enlightened when they said they were. In the end, you are the driver of the whole trip and it will be up to you how it goes. [Mind]set and setting are the major factors.

im going to try doing it in nature next time. one thing i noticed about the way i thought, was, that my "shield" i normally have was down. somebody saying something negative or malicious would get to me much more than it would sober. i was watching a movie, the hobbit, and things that people commonly say to eachother, i would take as really sinister, or really kind and good. the thing is, it's hard for me now to make sense of the trips. it's like i was in my own little bubble of insanity

sometimes it takes alot of time to integrate :) try doing some art, writting, or composing a song that helps you to understand.

There's some truth to the replies in this thread, but please don't assume that anyone can give you the real answer. First of all, we each have different psychologies and physiologies. Tripping may not be for you. The first time my wife ate shrooms she also thought she had gone totally crazy. There was nothing that she could integrate from the trip.

Why the rush? Maybe you should wait and try again in a few years. If the trips are telling you anything, maybe they're telling you that you don't need to trip right now.

Whatever you do, go easy on yourself. I'm still having trouble finding meaning myself. As much as we struggle to get there, eventually we might have to admit that we're stuck with the struggle, and not the answer, for the long haul. Relax. You have time, and more frustration ahead of you still.

there's some truth to the replies in this thread, but please don't assume that anyone can give you the real answer. First of all, we each have different psychologies and physiologies. Tripping may not be for you. The first time my wife ate shrooms she also thought she had gone totally crazy. There was nothing that she could integrate from the trip.

Why the rush? Maybe you should wait and try again in a few years. If the trips are telling you anything, maybe they're telling you that you don't need to trip right now.

Whatever you do, go easy on yourself. I'm still having trouble finding meaning myself. As much as we struggle to get there, eventually we might have to admit that we're stuck with the struggle, and not the answer, for the long haul. Relax. You have time, and more frustration ahead of you still.

qft

hi
interesting post OP. I know this feeling. feeling lost is very good as it shows you that you may have lost something. lost meaning? lost feeling love for things?
Trying to find a meaning in life is already showing that you are looking in the right direction. Without meaning, life is very confusing.

Feeling of loneliness and insanity should be inquired and see what make you feel lonely or insane during the trip. Those are thoughts. what are your thoughts telling you that make you feel lonely or insane?

Id say, feel more, think less. meditation really helps.

I don't get it, either.

Hallucinogens are great fun, but the 'spiritual' experience doesn't happen for everyone.

IME, you're more likely to go there if you're already a spiritual person. If you're not, you can still really enjoy the experience, especially if you're really into how the brain and mind work.

im going to try doing it in nature next time. one thing i noticed about the way i thought, was, that my "shield" i normally have was down. somebody saying something negative or malicious would get to me much more than it would sober. i was watching a movie, the hobbit, and things that people commonly say to eachother, i would take as really sinister, or really kind and good. the thing is, it's hard for me now to make sense of the trips. it's like i was in my own little bubble of insanity

I think when it becomes like that, ironically that might mean you are trying too hard to control or analyze the trip while it's happening. Believe me when I say I've done that a lot of times, and the trip would turn a bit sour even if for a few minutes. It's pretty normal on acid, and I'm sure the same goes for shrooms. The best advice for this is probably to just relax. :)

The spiritual aspect usually reveals itself on a high/strong dose, and most importantly you will "naturally" become in tune with it. It's my opinion that you can't will it to happen. But you definitely need to be suggestive to it, and probably have a strong subconscious desire to learn about yourself, others and life. That's just my opinion though.

But don't be discouraged. A lot of my own trips didn't have much meaning either; in fact, I've probably only had a handful of really important trips, mentally and emotionally, out of hundreds of trips. Most of the time, it's the shits and giggles. Tbh, I love that anyway, especially on psychs.

I'd suggest just enjoy your trips for what they are, and take a "wait and see" approach for your own spirituality to fully develop and become engaged with psychedelics.

yeah, it almost feel like you pass a threshold, youve aligned everything and then in a instant, bliss, light just shows itself as if youve tuned yourself to it.
for me, its really about letting go of everything else, of me and my idea and align myself to it.
maybe if you try to see it too much or want it to much, thats what blocks it in the first place.
I think when it becomes like that, ironically that might mean you are trying too hard to control or analyze the trip while it's happening. Believe me when I say I've done that a lot of times, and the trip would turn a bit sour even if for a few minutes. It's pretty normal on acid, and I'm sure the same goes for shrooms. The best advice for this is probably to just relax. :)

The spiritual aspect usually reveals itself on a high/strong dose, and most importantly you will "naturally" become in tune with it. It's my opinion that you can't will it to happen. But you definitely need to be suggestive to it, and probably have a strong subconscious desire to learn about yourself, others and life. That's just my opinion though.

But don't be discouraged. A lot of my own trips didn't have much meaning either; in fact, I've probably only had a handful of really important trips, mentally and emotionally, out of hundreds of trips. Most of the time, it's the shits and giggles. Tbh, I love that anyway, especially on psychs.

I'd suggest just enjoy your trips for what they are, and take a "wait and see" approach for your own spirituality to fully develop and become engaged with psychedelics.

some people get those 'Ohhh meaning!' experiences when tripping but personally i don't think it really means anything. feeling meaning is just a feeling. DMT seems to be the psychedelic which evokes this sensation the most. never done DMT or felt 'meaning' in a trip btw, i'm just talking by experience.

your description of the trip is pretty accurate for a shroom trip for me... heavy mindfuck/confusion, light OEVs, lots of CEVs...

if you eat a psych you won't be shown the light or shit and come back with the answers ime. i wouldn't do that. i wouldn't try to tweak the place as much as i would try to tweak the mindset. the mindset you are becomes much more powerful during the trip, and i guess that this is where can learn from trips - despite the trip being just really trippy shit -, looking back at them.

you said you felt lost, confused, etc... why would that be? you could think about that

or not, and just trip for fun. don't push stuff with psyches... be true to yourself and you will enjoy them. they're just like weed in this sense... they amplify your mind...

To the op, I find Phens like cactus or 2c-e is much more spiritual for most people then mushroom,
mushroom, at high dosage, if you smoke just a little caapi in the peak, its like a veil will be lift and the caapi would help to make the experience spiritual

I never really found mushroom trips very spiritual, but I never did mushrooms a lot. I've been told they are if you eat a lot of them over a period of weeks or months.