View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tripping when 20.

Kaneh Bosm

Bluelighter
I heard a lot of psychonauts advise that you should wait until you are in your twenties to trip. I always brushed this off but I am only a few months from my 20th birthday and I still have not tripped. Sure I experimented with cannabis, alcohol and various legal highs but as far as a full scale psychedelic experience I have not had one. I always wanted too and I never thought I would wait until I was twenty but I guess I did.

So what I ask is what should I prepare mentally, physically etc. Should I do it soon after I turn twenty or a couple of years after? Should I do it with friends or solo? Also should I do a legal high like morning glory (which I have had limited experience with) or just man up and get some shrooms or cid. Should I start with a semi-psychedelic like MDMA first? (Which would be really easy for me to get.) I have been offered everything from E to shrooms the moment I stepped foot in high school, never anticipated that my 20th birthday would be so close around the corner.

Honestly, when it comes to drugs, age has nothing to do with your physical time on this planet. its all about mental maturity.

I say you are old enough the minute you are ready to take the steps to use a drug responsibly. In other words, no dumbass kids that dont measure things out, or drive while high, or mix things without reading up.

I think MDMA might be a nice launching point since its as you say semi-psych. But at the same time its easy to just pick something. Find something not too intense. Shrooms may be a bit much for a first go, but some people loved it.

Dont let society tell you when you are ready, tell yourself. Soon as you are comfortable with the idea of opening up your mind, go seek something out.

MDMA does not come close to being a psychedelic IMO. It's more of a feel-good drug.

However only you can decide what's best for you. If I had to name one substance I'd say LSD, it has loads of potential while being adaptable enough to suit many peoples' personal needs.

If you feel you're ready, you won't be better off waiting. I didn't wait until I was 20 (15 for me), and I have had some profound experiences nonetheless. No need to wait until you've been alive some arbitrary amount of time to do psychedelics. I would start with something easy on the mind if you can get it (e.g. 2C-B) and if not, do a low dose of something. My first mushroom trip was 1.75g and then 1.75 more grams a few hours later which resulted in a long, easy trip.

I think tripping is actually quite healthy for a young mind. I had an experience with LSD when I was 15 that really guided me in a positive direction as I matured with age. Cleared up a few issues I had that might've grown into something more serious if LSD hadn't redirected me.

If you're thinking about tripping - do it. There's really nothing to wait for. As far as mental preparation, I can't really think of any way you'd mentally prepare for a trip. A first-time tripper really does not know what to expect, no matter how many trip reports he or she has read, so it's pretty difficult to "prepare".

As long as you make sure to trip responsibly (in a comfy environment, no operation of vehicles or heavy machinery), you're good. :)

I suggest LSD for the first time, if you can find it.

Last edited:
Solid point applecore.

Yeah to me age is irrelevant. I did DXM at 18, and actual Psych's at 19. I feel my life has been improved by them.

I tripped when I was 14 (an 1/8 of shrooms) and I'm glad I did. It taught me things that I continue to use to this day. Honestly, first trip was the most thought provoking trip I've ever had in my life.

I recommend either 2.5-3.5 grams of shrooms your first time or 2 hits of acid. I've always found that low doses sometimes can lead to annoying anxiety or uncomfortably which can ruin the experience if you are not experienced. Also feel that it is best to really get a feel for tripping, not just a hint of it. You'll have to go into the deep end sometime. A low dose will never show you what a drug really has to offer. Might as well get to know the drug right away.

i had a great time from about 16 to 19 when i could do acid and feel carefree.. all of my best trips were early on... i think 14 or 15 is probably a little young.. its hard to be careful at that age so that nothing goes wrong and no one gets hurt...

i second the idea of 2 LSD tabs... :)

I turned 20 in June, it didn't really phase me, seems the older you get the less you give a fuck. I didn't take 20mg 2C-E + a hit of 20X Salvia or anything rediculous like I might have planned before. I think last year and the year before that I did acid and I got my fill of trippy birthday magic... But I can never get enough birthday secks, oh baby! <3

OP what you heard is basically experimenting with any mind-altering substance until your twenties; psychedelics particularly being the most profound on your mind and consciousness, as you have read in this thread.

The brain isn't fully matured until you're about 40, but the Frontal lobe is fully developed in your early twenties (around 20-25). This is what is important, because the Frontal lobe provides a person with decisive and logical thought; among many other important processing functions that you might lack in your teenage years. This is what maturing is all about, being able to make choices and therefore the reason why you may have heard of people saying "you should wait until you're 20 to use psychedelics" is because it can help give you a better outlook on your life during your psychedelic experience. Not that such experiences cant be achieved by people younger than 20, but the "mental maturity" factor is what makes it important to wait.

If you feel you're ready, then go for it. That's really what it comes down to IMO.

Last edited:
Agreed^

and MDMA isn't a classic psychedelic so even though it has some common sides I wouldn't count it into the group... 2C-B is good to get an apprehensive - no, careful - feel of what tripping is like though something like LSD is truly an all-round kind of substance.
If you feel pretty secure about your mental development or maturity then close to 20 is fine. For arguments sake waiting until close to 30 really isn't that great of an idea, because the enriching qualities of psychedelia are worthwhile to the adolescent phase. Ensuring stability in your life or at least regulation to support that is still vital if you open yourself up to the world like that.
The way it sounds like you're approaching this is key to all of this as well: being conscious to what you're doing. <3

The human brain (prefrontal cortex) does not finish fully developing until one enters one's early-to-mid twenties. Too many kids start using drugs at a young age during their teens. Who knows what the hell heavy drug use can do to a young, developing mind? In my personal experience with persons who have chosen to use drugs at an early age there appear to be some notable negative affects later in life as a consequence of early experimentation.

I did not trip until I was 24, but that was my own choice. What you do is entirely up to you, but I can see why some people would recommend waiting until you are a bit older to begin experimenting. Do what you feel is right for you.

MDMA does not come close to being a psychedelic IMO. It's more of a feel-good drug.

That couldn't be more further from the truth. Though it's not overtly psychedelic, it is mind-manifesting, heart and mind-opening without question. It does expand consciousness and sense of self.

It also depends on how you use it. You can use it as a feel-good drug, or you can use it as a tool for self-exploration. How you use it is how it feels. Please be careful with turning your subjective experiences into objective truths about substances. And no, saying "IMO" does not give you a break.

Please be careful with turning your subjective experiences into objective truths about substances. And no, saying "IMO" does not give you a break.

Yes it does actually. IMO means In My Opinion.

Everyone has one, everyone is entitled to have one, period.

When I state my opinion about whatever, it is the folly of you if you interpret it as being presented as an "objective truth", especially when I have clearly stated that what I am expressing is just what it is, an opinion.

The human brain (prefrontal cortex) does not finish fully developing until one enters one's early-to-mid twenties. Too many kids start using drugs at a young age during their teens. Who knows what the hell heavy drug use can do to a young, developing mind?
FWIW I've yet to notice anything negative; if anything I've been positively affected.
In my personal experience with persons who have chosen to use drugs at an early age there appear to be some notable negative affects later in life as a consequence of early experimentation.
I guess time will tell heh.

I want to try LSD but everyone in my circle is so ignorant of it and make it out to be something awful but are down to do shrooms8). I can get MDMA and shrooms rather easily but I don't know who to ask for LSD. Funny thing was I probably had a greater chance of getting LSD in highschool then I do in college.

Harm reduction, being responsible, and thinking out your decisions are all well and great, but you guys are overthinking this a bit. Psychedelics aren't going to magically halt your brain development if you use them when you're in your late teens. As long as you aren't going on ridiculous binges and trading reality for psychedelic fantasy land, there's nothing wrong when taking psychedelics whenever you feel ready.

Waiting until you're 25 to try anything because you're scared that it's going to place your brain in developmental stasis is, for lack of a better word, retarded. Be responsible, but have fun when you have the time. If you plan on actually making anything of yourself, chances are you're not going to have much time for psychedelics when you're in your mid-late twenties anyway.

you should be fine as long as your current psychological state is alright. meaning you are not are going thru a rough patch (i.e. breakup, bad semester etc).

i realize you didnt ask buuuuut
be patient until u can score some decent L and get a few friends and hit the nearest theme park. you'll feel like a kid again riding the roller coasters and running around. its pretty cool. take one see how you react then take another if all is well. definitely start off slow cuz its real ez to overdo it. then you will be properly fucked for a while.

also i recommend you carry a strong benzo just in case you flip and cant handle it. a xanax or 2 will could be a lifesaver if you see your trip heading in the wrong direction. unlikely but reassuring to know you have it just in case!

have fun

I wouldn't be opposed to doing shrooms. I've only ever done shrooms, no LSD, no MDMA. As far as I've heard, people say that shrooms can be a little harder on the first time tripper. Of course, I've had GREAT shroom trips, so I don't think it really matters a whole lot.

Substance matters of course, but IMO, not as much as set and setting. I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of what this means, but I'm gonna post this anyway.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=52829

Read through the whole thing, it's well worth it. On my last trip I blew off set and setting to some degree, and paid for it by spending the entire time on the brink of a bad trip. My friend wasn't so lucky, and had a pretty horrible time. So yeah... mushies, lsd, whatever. Set and setting are more important.

(IMO?)

EDIT: The above post, IMO, is a prime example of BAD set and setting for a first time tripper.