• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tripping on a fever as a kid

I also had fever dreams of a terrifyingly large and exponentially growing number.

It was very troubling to me. As a child I couldn't comprehend such a 'bad trip' or integrate it and then I would be scared to fall back into the delirium b/c even if the dreams were not exactly the same, the fever visions had a distinct feel and a sense of foreboding and disquiet with a very ominous presence.

Very dissociative like with all the Lilliputian hallucinations and such...quite similar to high dose DXM. I was probably given cold medicine containing DXM at the time.

Is it possible that the DXM I was given to quell the fever influenced these experiences?

Not all of them, but some of my childhood fever/night-terrors had to be influenced by DXM. I distinctly remember the panic I felt on an unwanted, early-drug-use-days 3/4th plateau DXM trip instantly brought me back to that intense feeling of panic and terror, as I had a kid. It was like some sick, dysphoric nostalgia haha.

AND! Oh it was a trip back to my childhood night-terrors when constant and "endlessly increasing values or some type of mass" was brought up. Definitely had the "everything's too big/small, Mom. Where am I?!" Alice in Wonderland (Terrorland) Syndrome. My dad told me just to pray until I'd become more conscious or just straight drift off to sleep.

Not all of them, but some of my childhood fever/night-terrors had to be influenced by DXM. I distinctly remember the panic I felt on an unwanted, early-drug-use-days 3/4th plateau DXM trip instantly brought me back to that intense feeling of panic and terror, as I had a kid. It was like some sick, dysphoric nostalgia haha.

AND! Oh it was a trip back to my childhood night-terrors when constant and "endlessly increasing values or some type of mass" was brought up. Definitely had the "everything's too big/small, Mom. Where am I?!" Alice in Wonderland (Terrorland) Syndrome. My dad told me just to pray until I'd become more conscious or just straight drift off to sleep.

Same. Not the exponential numbers part but certainly things like that, such as an ever-expanding landscape that you had to traverse. One other guy described it as 'balancing boulders on pins'. Giving dextromethorphan to children is a bad idea. I'd suggest it does indeed have a lot to do with the similar experiences some of us are reporting. Oh, and they were truly fucking awful things - delirium and disorientation, and total dysphoria for hours on end, they were a waking nightmare.

When I first started using psychedelics, I was worried that having these episodes of micropsia might indicate abnormal brain chemistry that would make it a bad idea to use drugs. I did a lot of research and approached with caution. I have unusual effects on some drugs and high sensitivity to weed and DXM, but that's about it.

I'm starting to get the feeling that they should stop teaching children trig and geometry... it's clearly too scary.

The lack of control was the most unsettling aspect for me. I often felt panic when left somewhere unfamiliar as a child. The dissolution of my budding ego caused me to freak out.

Only later would I learn to appreciate floating in the ether. ;)

I also had fever dreams of a terrifyingly large and exponentially growing number.

It was very troubling to me. As a child I couldn't comprehend such a 'bad trip' or integrate it and then I would be scared to fall back into the delirium b/c even if the dreams were not exactly the same, the fever visions had a distinct feel and a sense of foreboding and disquiet with a very ominous presence.

Very dissociative like with all the Lilliputian hallucinations and such...quite similar to high dose DXM. I was probably given cold medicine containing DXM at the time.

Is it possible that the DXM I was given to quell the fever influenced these experiences?

^ This. Very relatable.

The balancing a boulder on a pin head is a very accurate way of describing it, not sure how but it definitely describes the feeling.

Solipsis Can I link other forums/quote them here?

I'm very curious to learn more about this (links and such). It's very intriguing to find that others have experienced this mental state also.

I don't know why I hadn't asked before. It's been on my mind for a long time.

My interest is piqued as well, I'd love to hear of other similar encounters. I'm still not satisfied with my own description's adequacy but when I read descriptions by others it offers me a small glimpse of the multitude of emotions and thoughts and sensations that melted together to form this very strange experience.

I am not satisfied with my description either, but the common themes posted by others makes it ok.
It's like writing a trip report from more than 20 years ago, I still have a vivid memory of it but that sense of dread has been unique in my life and I haven't experienced it since/the only thing that comes close are the nightmares I would have on trazodone when it was getting used to it.

I am just amazed by the similarity of the dreams. What component of the fever experience causes this? Is it like how salvia causes many people to become unzipped from reality and turned into a cog in a cosmic machine?

"I woke up this morning around 10 with a high fever. I was convinced that there were eight people in my room. Eight men. Each one of them wanted to help me with something different. I know there were eight of them, but I only knew the intentions of two. One wanted to drive me somewhere, and the other had very long arms and wanted to help me make my arms long too. I didn't see these people, but I knew they were there. I was also half asleep at the time.

Long story short, thank god for ibuprofen. Anyone else have interesting fucked up delusions while sick as fuck?"

"yep. It used to happen to me when I was a lot younger, like middle school years. Every time I would get a fever, after waking up from a nights sleep or just a nap, I would trip the FUCK OUT. My room would distort into impossible shapes, like the room was no longer cubicle, it would be constantly changing shapes, like a mushroom trip or something where the walls are distorting. It would feel like the room was smaller than myself, making me feel claustrophobic and trapped, but at the same time it felt like the room was larger than the entire universe, and I felt like I was in a giant void of nothingness. At the same time. I would pretty much go into a super panic attack and start screaming and shit until my dad/mom came into the room and tried to settle me down.

It happened another time with a trash can. I was trying to throw some tissues away or something and the trashcan felt like it was a mile away, even though it was right in front of me.

Spatial distortions were most common for me."

"I've had this during fever before.
Have you ever had the one where one part of your body feels fucking huge, and another really small at the same time?
I used to get one where my head felt like it was the size of a pinhead, but my hands and feet were the size of beach balls.

"last time i had a high fever, i kept thinking i was in the russian army (circa when napoleon was trying to invade russia) and i kept telling myself all this marching sucks

later on that same day, i was seeing myself as a persian hot dog vendor in new york during the '80's and being mad as hell because someone was trying to push my cart to another corner where i knew i wasn't going to make money

it was like dreaming with my eyes open, i was half awake and would mutter to myself"

Same thing just keeps popping up...

I often have very odd CEV's when near sleep, usually of cartoon style people constantly changing bodily proportions. It really is quite odd. Not really sure if this falls into the same realm of experiences though. I do notice on a daily basis the wide variety of odd mental states throughout a day. Even day dreaming and Deja Vu are quite interesting and i believe to be related. Pre-sleep but not quite conscious states of mind fascinate me the most though. The feeling of being disconnected from the body, but still aware to an extent is quite neat. Typically when im in these states its induced by music and consists of almost nothingness, actually quite blissful. Ah, i love psychology man. So many interesting things to be researched when it comes to consciousness and mental processes. is anyone aware of on-going consciousness studies involving OBE's, non-drug induced hallucinations, deliriums or dreams?

Im 15 and i had the same thing happen to me the other day without any DXM in my system. Time was moving insanely fast, like decades. Nothing changed, and thats what scared me. I felt like I was kind of stuck i guess. My fingers felt like needles and when i stood up, my head started pulsing. I started freaking out. I ran downstairs to a empty bedroom in my house. I sat on the bed and started messing with my fingers and thinking about the time. I had to calm myself down by looking at the sky and thinking about my life memories. Since im a little older than thepeople in the reports were on this thread that ive read, I was a little more aware that I was tripping and since it wasnt my first time "fever tripping" I kinda had an idea to calm tf down. One of the scariest experiences in my life. I hope someone reads this shit, or i just wasted my damn time.