Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives Tripping for Dark Experiences

golego55

Bluelighter
Hi all.

I wanted to know if there are others who approach drug-taking, particularly in regards to dissociatives, with the intent of reaching or searching out of a "dark state", or more specifically a "nightmare" bent on trips?

Reading for me as a kid, one of my favorite authors was (and still is) Stephen King. I liked "Where the Wild Things Are" and such, but I adored the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and Goosebumps series. I loved the novels "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" when I read them from the very first time I read them as a young child. I can't count the number of times I've checked out the Library of America's "H.P. Lovecraft: Tales" from my local library (I highly respect the Library of America collections of many authors, including Walt Whitman). I lived with a father who grew up on "Twilight Zone" but now wished he had raised me in a childhood replete with "Outer Limits" (I don't know if collections were readily available in the 90's (the first half of my childhood), though). After reading Stephen King's Danse Macabre I have looked for all the editions of the Lights Out radio series from before the 1950's on Youtube that I can find. I wish the earliest run of the series was still extant (I don't believe many of them are) very much. I've never had much interest in RPG, adventure, etc. video games, but I have a total obsession with the "Doom" FPS series.

I've always enjoyed good dreams, but I've always thrilled in having nightmares. Earlier in my childhood I was interested in "lucid dreaming" but I've since become much more interested in night terrors. And thus it is that I came to eventually glory in exploring the darker side of trips through dissociatives. In the realm of psychedelics I've only really used DXM so far but I hope to delve into LSD and PCP eventually. My initial use with DXM involved very irresponsible trip hygiene that I will due my best never to replicate again. During first of the first five or so trips I had on DXM perhaps the 2 most distressing psychoactive events of my life occurred. Needless to say, If I had been able to vocalize my feelings during the trips it would have been strings of earth-shattering screams interspersed with "Oh Fuck, Oh Fuck, Oh Fuck...!" There was heavy disassociation. Eventually in time I was able to take the trips in perspective and remind myself to never practice poor trip hygiene like an absolute knucklehead. I've always liked how with dissociatives it seems that environment and positive/negative mental attitude largely effect the mental head space light spectrum. With that in mind in the future I hope to responsibly, sanely, and safely

I'm very grateful whenever I read of trippers encouraging others who have had bad trips to take the events in perspective, and instead of fearing them to learn from them.* It's incredibly hard in the moment and for awhile afterwards to remember that while the trip was adverse, the initial events are over and the experience is now to be learned from instead of being used as dread-inducing events that taint drug-taking forever.

So to come back from rambling I wanted to re-iterate asking the question that was the point of my post:

"I wanted to know if there are others who approach drug-taking, particularly in regards to dissociatives, with the intent of reaching or searching out of a "dark state", or more specifically a "nightmare" bent on trips?"
Also another question I forgot to ask: Has anyone here had the experience of reaching the fifth plateau?

[Note: With this post I'm not trying to create or contribute to doing things that might lessen the overall reputations of drug takers, certain drugs, or overall drug experiences. I understand that positive drugs and responsible drug takers, deserve respect and not to be fear- or hate- mongered, or have their dignity or credibility taken away. I also understand that in taking drugs I need to respect the safety of others and well-being of property, and that I I should engage in proper drug-taking and tripping hygiene.]

Last edited:
Can;t say that I have ever approached "drug-taking, particularly in regards to dissociatives, with the intent of reaching or searching out of a "dark state",", nor do I remember ever hearing about anyone who has either. Unless you want to classify 'oblivion' as such.

Tell you what though, Bram Stoker's "Dracula" is the only book that has genuinely terrified me in a lifetime of reading! That multi-diary technique he used worked amazingly well, very creepy. Damn book was in my dreams every night for the week or so I took to finish it

That multi-diary technique he used worked amazingly well, very creepy. Damn book was in my dreams every night for the week or so I took to finish it
Yep. A ship's log, newspapers, dictation machine, telegrams, and more. I don't know if that that old ship captain's talk with Mina and Lucy makes that grave a source.

Hi all.

I wanted to know if there are others who approach drug-taking, particularly in regards to dissociatives, with the intent of reaching or searching out of a "dark state", or more specifically a "nightmare" bent on trips?

Reading for me as a kid, one of my favorite authors was (and still is) Stephen King. I liked "Where the Wild Things Are" and such, but I adored the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and Goosebumps series. I loved the novels "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" when I read them from the very first time I read them as a young child. I can't count the number of times I've checked out the Library of America's "H.P. Lovecraft: Tales" from my local library (I highly respect the Library of America collections of many authors, including Walt Whitman). I lived with a father who grew up on "Twilight Zone" but now wished he had raised me in a childhood replete with "Outer Limits" (I don't know if collections were readily available in the 90's (the first half of my childhood), though). After reading Stephen King's Danse Macabre I have looked for all the editions of the Lights Out radio series from before the 1950's on Youtube that I can find. I wish the earliest run of the series was still extant (I don't believe many of them are) very much. I've never had much interest in RPG, adventure, etc. video games, but I have a total obsession with the "Doom" FPS series.

I've always enjoyed good dreams, but I've always thrilled in having nightmares. Earlier in my childhood I was interested in "lucid dreaming" but I've since become much more interested in night terrors. And thus it is that I came to eventually glory in exploring the darker side of trips through dissociatives. In the realm of psychedelics I've only really used DXM so far but I hope to delve into LSD and PCP eventually. My initial use with DXM involved very irresponsible trip hygiene that I will due my best never to replicate again. During first of the first five or so trips I had on DXM perhaps the 2 most distressing psychoactive events of my life occurred. Needless to say, If I had been able to vocalize my feelings during the trips it would have been strings of earth-shattering screams interspersed with "Oh Fuck, Oh Fuck, Oh Fuck...!" There was heavy disassociation. Eventually in time I was able to take the trips in perspective and remind myself to never practice poor trip hygiene like an absolute knucklehead. I've always liked how with dissociatives it seems that environment and positive/negative mental attitude largely effect the mental head space light spectrum. With that in mind in the future I hope to responsibly, sanely, and safely

I'm very grateful whenever I read of trippers encouraging others who have had bad trips to take the events in perspective, and instead of fearing them to learn from them.* It's incredibly hard in the moment and for awhile afterwards to remember that while the trip was adverse, the initial events are over and the experience is now to be learned from instead of being used as dread-inducing events that taint drug-taking forever.

So to come back from rambling I wanted to re-iterate asking the question that was the point of my post:

"I wanted to know if there are others who approach drug-taking, particularly in regards to dissociatives, with the intent of reaching or searching out of a "dark state", or more specifically a "nightmare" bent on trips?"

[Note: With this post I'm not trying to create or contribute to doing things that might lessen the overall reputations of drug takers, certain drugs, or overall drug experiences. I understand that positive drugs and responsible drug takers, deserve respect and not to be fear- or hate- mongered, or have their dignity or credibility taken away. I also understand that in taking drugs I need to respect the safety of others and well-being of property, and that I I should engage in proper drug-taking and tripping hygiene.]
I don't but I had a very close friend who did.
He dropped some acid and went to see the Exorcist (back when it was first released). He also used to smoke wet (PCP) in cemeteries when they were closed (at night) . He intoduced me to the movie "Cube" while we were smoking wet, I swear I thought I was in that movie during the experience.

So you are not unique, but I'm guessing this is not "mainstream".

He dropped some acid and went to see the Exorcist (back when it was first released). He also used to smoke wet (PCP) in cemeteries when they were closed (at night) . He intoduced me to the movie "Cube" while we were smoking wet, I swear I thought I was in that movie during the experience.

ROFLMAO when you talked about your friend. Now that's what I'm talking about. The thing in cemeteries at night reminds me of blues musicians Robert Johnson and Ike Zimmerman practicing their craft in a graveyard.

Also, "Cube" is freaking awesome.

I think we all approach our experiences with our affinities intact, and our setting and more recent activities will govern how our affinities inter-react in the psychedelic resonance.

So yeah, if you have a sweet spot for dark fantasy and at leas one poster in your tripping chamber depicting a dark hero, this will certainly impinge on the nature of your journey,

Did your friend happen to be Ricky Kasso? :headbang:

"... Besides being the school drug dealer, he was known for doing unbelievable amounts of LSD and PCP. Friends and acquaintances said they never saw him sober, and his epic appetite for hallucinogens earned him the nickname “the Acid King.” [...] He liked to trip in the local cemetery, where he told friends he was trying to commune with Satan"

Great documentary on him (and the unfortunate murder he committed while high on acid), as well as the whole satanism/occult fad & resulting "Satanic Panic" era of the 80s:

Free to stream on Tubi --^

Not intentionally, it seems kind of silly, but i'm usually quite tolerant with dark contents of thoughts and movies and music. Whatever strikes me as true and correct (whether it be facts or mere possibilities) gives me strong cognitive euphoria. What could worry me is actually fearing for my life/health and perhaps social distress such as unreliable people in close proximity.

Did your friend happen to be Ricky Kasso? :headbang:

"... Besides being the school drug dealer, he was known for doing unbelievable amounts of LSD and PCP. Friends and acquaintances said they never saw him sober, and his epic appetite for hallucinogens earned him the nickname “the Acid King.” [...] He liked to trip in the local cemetery, where he told friends he was trying to commune with Satan"

Great documentary on him (and the unfortunate murder he committed while high on acid), as well as the whole satanism/occult fad & resulting "Satanic Panic" era of the 80s:

Free to stream on Tubi --^

Sorry but no. He never reached celebrity status in any way.

My friend was, ironically, a registered nurse though. A very nice person, just a bit eccentric.

There definitely are people that do. Choice of music and visual art can certainly help occasion those experiences, and some people find certain materials to be more likely to (like 4-HO-DET.) Not my thing, personally, but I think it's fairly common

Respectfully I don't think you have enough experience to understand what you're talking about. I'm a little drunk so forgive me if I'm the only one or I'm being unnecessarily mean but I'll admit to feeling a fairly visceral disdain for this whole idea.

Nightmarish trips aren't like horror films, and finding some enjoyment in the aesthetics of traditionally darker imagery and dark fiction and games and such is just... it just doesn't mean anything. I guarantee if you had actually had a truly nightmarish trip on LSD and a PCP analogue this would not be a state of mind that you would intentionally seek out again.

Urgh... maybe I'm misinterpreting this, sorry but I just cannot take this seriously.

I understand that you're not advocating for people to do this but there's just something fundamentally distasteful about romanticising other people's ability to integrate truly "Dark" substance-induced experiences while having no apparent insight into what these experiences actually entail, and when these experiences were absolutely unintended, probably genuinely traumatic, and not something that anyone who had actually experienced them would genuinely seek out. These after-the-fact-retrospective integrations that you refer to were not voluntary, but were feats of psychological endurance that were purely about survival and the preservation of their sanity. I guarantee these people were extremely afraid while immersed in the experience and many less fortunate people do not survive them.

Not really, but I like the ocasional black metal album while on a K-hole. Really brings a nightmarish vibe to the experiences. At the same time, it feels kinda therapeutic to confront the darkness within, and I love the music anyway so its something I choose because I enjoy aesthetically, not because I want to induce myself into a horror state (never felt genuinely scary). But maybe that's more or less what you are going for ?

Anyway, try some dark and atmospheric music while on a high dose of DXM. It will for sure affect the experience. I also found that with dissociatives, what you have been recently doing, watching, or thinking about, somehow makes its way into the trip, specially when talking about holes. So maybe read some Lovecraft right before dosing and you'll meet Cthulhu?

Last edited:
there is a difference between dark trip and a acutal trip to hell where the devil traps you within your own mind for trillions of years tortouting your soul with the worst pain you could ever imagine. I have had dark trips and seeing fucked ups hit and I have been to literal hell with the devil and it took me years of healing to get past the trauma of that trip, feeling pure pain and fear in every atom in your body.

Horror films and ghosts dont scare me on acid. Acutal hell does,

The last time i ever k holed i went to hell for eons and never touched it again. Sometimes you see shit you wish you could unsee, Unspeakable horrors im glad the ket induced amensia blacked out some of the more horrific parts of the k hole. I have been to dark places on ketamine but never to that level where you acutal soul was tossed into a cosmic blender and the devil and his army of demons rip it apart. I was praying to the lord jesus to save me and begging for gods forgiveness. I was so far removed from reality that i thought i was most likely permentally insane.

Tread carefully.

I was lucky to make it back. I was shaken for a while after that k hole, it was noticeable aswell people would ask me if i am okay going about my daily life. I was so shaken to the core of what had occured i became a hermit for a month to process what the fuck i had experinced

Thinking further about your question, a friend came to mind. She had a friend group who would go out camping and take eyeballed doses of stuff like 2C-P. Unsurprisingly they all had extremely intense experiences, most of the times they got scared shitless. She always told me how she had this almost traumatazing trips with blacking out and coming to herself in the middle of the woods not knowing where she was sort of moments. At the beginnig I thought it was really stupid, but then I realized these people actually enjoyed going into this kind of experiences, in what I can only interpret as a masochistic/thrill seeking way. Many of them got into chaos magick, the temple ov psychick youth, that kind of stuff. So I guess that's the closest I know to people intentionally seeking dark experiences through psychedelics.

Well, in the case of my friend she ended up having a couple of really, really traumatizing trips, then never tripped ever again. Never heard again from the rest of that lot.

Last edited:
I once had a girlfriend who always wanted to do cocaine. That went on for a year, and it was a very dark and expensive experience.
Strangely it is mixed in as a fond memory.

there is a difference between dark trip and a acutal trip to hell where the devil traps you within your own mind for trillions of years tortouting your soul with the worst pain you could ever imagine. I have had dark trips and seeing fucked ups hit and I have been to literal hell with the devil and it took me years of healing to get past the trauma of that trip, feeling pure pain and fear in every atom in your body.

The last time i ever k holed i went to hell for eons and never touched it again. Sometimes you see shit you wish you could unsee, Unspeakable horrors im glad the ket induced amensia blacked out some of the more horrific parts of the k hole. I have been to dark places on ketamine but never to that level where you acutal soul was tossed into a cosmic blender and the devil and his army of demons rip it apart. I was praying to the lord jesus to save me and begging for gods forgiveness. I was so far removed from reality that i thought i was most likely permentally insane.

Tread carefully.

I was lucky to make it back. I was shaken for a while after that k hole, it was noticeable aswell people would ask me if i am okay going about my daily life. I was so shaken to the core of what had occured i became a hermit for a month to process what the fuck i had experinced
Stay safe. You seem like a cool dude.

Tread carefully.

I think I know what you mean. Glad you made it back. Stay happy, healthy, and as safe as you can. And please get some help if you end up needing it.

Respectfully I don't think you have enough experience to understand what you're talking about. I'm a little drunk so forgive me if I'm the only one or I'm being unnecessarily mean but I'll admit to feeling a fairly visceral disdain for this whole idea.

Nightmarish trips aren't like horror films, and finding some enjoyment in the aesthetics of traditionally darker imagery and dark fiction and games and such is just... it just doesn't mean anything. I guarantee if you had actually had a truly nightmarish trip on LSD and a PCP analogue this would not be a state of mind that you would intentionally seek out again.

Urgh... maybe I'm misinterpreting this, sorry but I just cannot take this seriously.

I understand that you're not advocating for people to do this but there's just something fundamentally distasteful about romanticising other people's ability to integrate truly "Dark" substance-induced experiences while having no apparent insight into what these experiences actually entail, and when these experiences were absolutely unintended, probably genuinely traumatic, and not something that anyone who had actually experienced them would genuinely seek out. These after-the-fact-retrospective integrations that you refer to were not voluntary, but were feats of psychological endurance that were purely about survival and the preservation of their sanity. I guarantee these people were extremely afraid while immersed in the experience and many less fortunate people do not survive them.
You're not being mean. I think I was unintentionally romanticizing it.

I can be incredibly shallow, thick-headed, and ignorant at times.

I had the luxury of coming back from an experience mostly intact. I'm not trying to romanticize or advocate for trauma. Some never made it back, some haven't come back, some never will come back. I understand it's disrespectful to romanticize/glorify like I did.

I've never had an LSD or PCP trip, let alone a bad one. I had a nightmarish Haldol experience where I may have experienced something akin to Cotard syndrome. I had an immature trip on Marijuana gummies where I became almost entirely immobile but could speak and see. I didn't and don't set out to experience it again.

I don't find "Dark trips" amusing, desirable, or romantic. It is demeaning to trauma victims to do those things.

I've only ever experienced minor trauma (death threats, death threats at a distance by knife, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders). It's wrong to play the victim but I'm just trying to apologize and explain as best as I can. A family member was assaulted multiple times, another was the victim of attempted assault (baseball bat), and a girl in high school was groped while blindfolded. It's disrespectful of me to say what I did, to them and other trauma victims.

I get the thing about dissociatives being "dark". I've had a bad acid trip once, which was horrible, but i would characterize a strong dose of ketamine as darker and creepier. Sensory overload and time distorting vs. sensory deprivation and time disappearing. I have characterized the effects of ketamine as a "mini-death". It's quite therapeutic for a depressed person like me, since when you return to your body, you're glad to be back.
I don't know if it's apocryphal or I'm getting it wrong but I read that Timothy leary said something about how the greatest pleasure was having pain removed (or  one of the greatest things). i have neuropathic pain and when the pain lifts away, it's not like stopping being choked, but not choking anymore  and breathing the best air you've ever had.

You're not being mean. I think I was unintentionally romanticizing it.

I can be incredibly shallow, thick-headed, and ignorant at times.

I had the luxury of coming back from an experience mostly intact. I'm not trying to romanticize or advocate for trauma. Some never made it back, some haven't come back, some never will come back. I understand it's disrespectful to romanticize/glorify like I did.

I've never had an LSD or PCP trip, let alone a bad one. I had a nightmarish Haldol experience where I may have experienced something akin to Cotard syndrome. I had an immature trip on Marijuana gummies where I became almost entirely immobile but could speak and see. I didn't and don't set out to experience it again.

I don't find "Dark trips" amusing, desirable, or romantic. It is demeaning to trauma victims to do those things.

I've only ever experienced minor trauma (death threats, death threats at a distance by knife, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders). It's wrong to play the victim but I'm just trying to apologize and explain as best as I can. A family member was assaulted multiple times, another was the victim of attempted assault (baseball bat), and a girl in high school was groped while blindfolded. It's disrespectful of me to say what I did, to them and other trauma victims.
That might be one the quickest and most genuine acknowledgement of a mistake that I've seen on the internet in some time. :) Good for you. I do think that I was a little harsh regardless, in my defence I did post in another thread on the same day about a friend or maybe just an acquaintance eventually that seems to have decided to kill himself after a few months where on at least on occasion he did have a very bad time on some hallucinogens, so I guess that was maybe kinda in my subconscious or something.

I'm glad you understood my point despite that, though. But I do see there is a more forgiving way to answer this, I think it's more accurately or sensibly or whatever just having an extreme curiousity with the potentially fairly difficult and macarbe aspects of psychedelic and dissociative experiences, which I do kind of get, the time has to be right but I have found enjoyment in the awareness of how loopy things are getting even when they are at least threatening to get kind serious... That's slightly frightening excitement, it's natural it would feel at least a little good.

As far as "darkness"... Dissociatives IMO are consistently darker, just in general, but, conversely, it's easier to bear more darkness on dissociatives than it is on psychedelics.... maybe I'll think some more about this later.