View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tripping away tinnitus?

starrieyed

Greenlighter
Please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place. I'm new.

A friend of mine had mild tinnitus for a month after a loud show. Then they tripped on acid apparently laced with molly(but felt mostly euphoric effects with very few visuals. So who knows what it actually was...) and after the trip the noise was gone.

Tinnitus- damage to the tiny hairs in the inner ear that channel sound. The hairs break due to stress (loud. sudden, constant noises etc) , and send information that is not really there that the brain perceives as constant sound.

Perception is the key word. I don't see how tripping could cure the damaged hairs, but perhaps during the mental journey a person could try to unlearn/habituate the sound. I don't think he consciously "thought away" the sound. I think it just went away after the trip.

I've had tinnitus for the past few months (high pitched constant ringing in one ear) and am afraid to trip in case it drives me insane, but at the same time, I'm curious. I've read threads where people got tinnitus from trips, or whose tinnitus disappeared during a roll and came back. Has anyone managed to trip themselves out of tinnitus?

Tinnitus can be described as subjective or objective ie. one can report it and yet not have any actual structural damage; that is subjective. Objective tinnitus can actually be heard coming from the ear. Personally, I have the subjective kind which rotates behind ears; mainly due to benzo withdrawal, but various psychedelics; 4-Ho-DiPT and DiPT both intensified it- the former creating the most tinnitus.

Your probably correct in saying that tripping didn't reduce any damage; that is impossible; but it may have alleviated the perception of it. Tinnitus is one of those weird things that, by simply thinking about it, we seem to be able to enhance it. That said, its pretty much impossible to not think about something if you tell yourself not too! :)

That said, most people report some kind of noise if in an anechoic chamber (completely silent room, no revetrberation possible). Tinnitus is very much linked to anxiety; in the sense that, if one worries about it, it is a lot more apparent.

Quite a lot of drugs; including non-psychedelics; can induce tinnitus, even things like ibuprofen. Personally, I find that if I "hum" at the same basic pitch of the ringing, it subsides. This makes sense, from an audio-perspective, as two vibrations of the same freqeuncy generally cancel each other out, and humming certainly vibrates thru your head....So hum away!

DMT also brings about a strong sensation of tinnitus; the reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise in particualr, but because its not actually damamging your ears or physically effecting the hairs, its basically a hallucination. :)

there is some anecdotal evidence which suggests tripping on certain psychs can exacerbate tinnitus, namely DiPT but potentially 5-MeO-DiPT as well. i know an authority on the subject who is collecting reports and trying to assess the risk of chronic tinnitus from DiPT, i had pretty severe tinnitus after coming down from a high dose of DiPT and i believe shulgin suffers from chronic tinnitus as well (though i seriously doubt he attributes it to psych use) anyway, i doubt the risk is significant for normal psychs like LSD, but i also would not expect them to be a miracle cure.

also its VERY unlikely there was MDMA in your LSD if it was on a blotter, and if it was in a capsule i would suspect there was no LSD in your MDMA...

EDIT: me and swillow posted at the same time.

^Great minds think alike :)

This sounds kinda interesting. I have hell of bad tinnitus and although I sort of swore off psyches for a bit it'd be cool to see if it works, as my doctor hasn't shown much interest in finding a way to help it, other than 'listen to background noise' which doesn't really work.

^True, but that certainly complicates matters a bit, especially when what I'm referring to is my own "folk remedy". Its unlikely that, over the passage of time when I "hum" that I would remain in phase the whole time. But, strangely, in practice, it seems to work.

Yeah, I haven't yet learned to hum in a +180 phase either :)

dont worry me and a freind are working on a surgery that cures tinnitus by removing your arms with a hubcap and placing them where your ears should be. in a study the experimental surgery worked 95% of the time! (in a few cases the patients still had tinnitus after the surgery)

LSD exacerbates tinnitus for me during the trip and within the next 3-4 days after.

I've heard of this on Erowid, though it was with a Nootropic rather than a Psychedelic (DMAE IIRC).

I don't know, i think if the tinnitus is bad enough, just realizing you have it could make it more intense do to the psychosomatic nature of it

4E0cryQosWCE.png