View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tripping at high altitudes...

feelgoodhit

Bluelighter
Does anyone have any advice for tripping at high altitudes (in the mountains, for example) - anything to keep in mind? DOC may be the substance. I know it can sometimes do funky stuff with your blood flow - would that problem be worsened by the conditions?

Thanks,
FGH
<3

I remember someone once warning me against taking tryptamines (they didn't mentions PEA's) in cold conditions? Something about increased chance of hypothermia. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

^ Don't know about that. Some psychedelic (tryps or PEAs) can cause vasoconstriction which could lead to frostbite of the extremities in cold conditions.

DOC has been known to have some vasoconstricting properties. At high altitudes it may be a good idea to take a vasodilator such as L-arginine. It's kind of obscure in our area of the world but people in the andes chew coca leaves and drink coca tea when working or traveling at high altitudes; it's known to ease the effects of altitude on the body.

I would probably suggest acclimatizing first if you plan on moving around a lot.

Honestly i was just up in Cusco, and they had tourists doing San Pedro (Mescaline) and Ayahuasca (DMT), and they would have been fine. And that covers both PEA's and Tryptamines.

Cusco is 11000 feet for the record. So yeah I think you'll be ok. You can get sick though if you just go up there. Take some Diamox before you go, and while you are up. Or possibly just give it a day at the altitude to make sure you arent going to get sick.

You should research altitude sickness .

Most people feel it slightly, some feel it heavily, google it so that you know the symptoms.

That way, you know your not having a bad trip and it's just the altitude that is messing with you.

And dehydration is something to think about too, usually it's dry air up here in the mountains, so drink water before and during.

Yeah.

The altitude sickness can effect you whether you are just sitting there or not. Thus why I suggest taking a day or so at that height if you can before you trip. Altitude doesnt really bother me personally, but it would be nice to know what I should expect physically before I dive into something.

But as I said I wouldnt expect any unusual interactions or anything.

Personally I never noticed any difference at high altitudes, at least with standard tryptamines. Not a bad idea to research though :D

FGH> PM sent

Since delsymfan already mentioned aclimating to altitude before venturing out, I have a few other basic pointers>

Bring a camelback with at least a 100oz bladder, its way too easy to get dehydrated at altitude.

Bring a lightweight rain suit as well as at least a good warm fleece pullover because temperature and weather changes happen in an instant.

Its also a good idea to carry small, sugary snacks since you will most likely not feel especially hungry, but you need to keep up your sugar and carbohydrate levels; altitude takes a lot out of you. I carry hard candy, granola bars and relion brand dextrose pills. Dont try to move at too fast either, keep at a comfortable, controlled pace while you are up there.

Try to be back below the tree line by about noon (if you get up above it), the thunderstorms pop up quickly and you dont want to be the most conductive thing up there.

Finally, its a good idea to scout out the area you will be in so you know what kind of terrain and wildlife you may need to deal with.

Dont take this as trying to scare you off, high country trips are among the best out there (some of my best trips have happened in rocky mountain natonal park), you just need to take some basic precautions;)

Hope this helps
Egor

good advice egor.

Yeah even if you arent doing a whole lot, the altitude does wear on you more than you know. Even when acclimatized I found myself needing to snack more and having to drink more.

As far as weather, I dont know exactly where you have in mind. But yeah once the sun dips behind the mountain line, usually temperature drops a hell of a lot.

spend some time in the altitudes for a day or 2 before to let your body get acclimated. and lots of food and water is good advice too

shouldn't be much of an issue aside from normal altitude stuff. I know plenty of folks in the rocky mountain states that trip quite regularly in the mountains to no ill effect