View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

tripping alone for ur first trip?

coldraviolis

Greenlighter
well, i was planning on taking mushrooms soon since i have some rn and for the first time in a while ive been in a good mood and i have no idea when will i be in a similar mood again, but, i dont have anyone that could tripsit me, i have 2 friends irl and one lives rly far away and its super anti-drug straight edge and my other friend is in a really bad headspace so i dont think it would be a good idea to have her as my sitter, so, is it really that dangerous to trip on ur own? ive known some ppl thta have tripped for the first time alone and nothing bad has happened.
Also i know its not a good idea to trip with ur parents home but with the lockdown and all i dont think i can trip without anyone home, so, is really that bad to to trip w them home, i was planning on just locking myself up in my room and just doing it there.
Any advice would be rly appreciated <3

That's how I did it. For some it leads to higher chances of an unpleasant experience, but I never found that

Always good to have some benzos on hand in case you need an emergency landing back on earth

That's how I did it. For some it leads to higher chances of an unpleasant experience, but I never found that

Always good to have some benzos on hand in case you need an emergency landing back on earth
ooh okay thank u!! would u recommend tripping during the day or the night, ive only tripped on dxm during the day and idk i get kinda weird vibes when its late, but idk if its safer so my parents dont mess up my trip to do it at that time

Same here. I didn't know anyone else who did it in my town 40+ years ago. I took a small dose and things were fine. Having experienced how 'friendly' they were I next took a full psychedelic dose and have never looked back. There is a chance of paranoia with bigger doses so taking with your parents around might be freaky - depends how well you get on with your parents and how open-minded they are.

I disagree about the benzos though - just my opinion, but I think they offer a way out that might in future encourage you to bail out of what might be an insightful - if uncomfortable - experience.

ooh okay thank u!! would u recommend tripping during the day or the night, ive only tripped on dxm during the day and idk i get kinda weird vibes when its late, but idk if its safer so my parents dont mess up my trip to do it at that time

Tripping around parents/squares is never a good start. The idea is it should be a setting you are 100% comfortable in, emotionally

Chances are you will be fine. I did it at night to avoid parents, 11 years ago when I was 16, and it went ok. Dont go for a huge dose your first time. If you have any mental illnesses, or are on any psychoactive meds (particularly a certain class of anti depressants) slow down, and do some research first.

Same here. I didn't know anyone else who did it in my town 40+ years ago. I took a small dose and things were fine. Having experienced how 'friendly' they were I next took a full psychedelic dose and have never looked back. There is a chance of paranoia with bigger doses so taking with your parents around might be freaky - depends how well you get on with your parents and how open-minded they are.

I disagree about the benzos though - just my opinion, but I think they offer a way out that might in future encourage you to bail out of what might be an insightful - if uncomfortable - experience.
ooh okay nice, nice. I was planning on a low dose too!and my parents are not open-minded abt psychedelics at all oops, but im not planning abt coming out of my room so they dont see me tripping.

And abt the benzos, i dont have any and i dont think i can rly get any so yeah im kinda just gonna raw dog it hahah

Tripping around parents/squares is never a good start. The idea is it should be a setting you are 100% comfortable in, emotionally

Chances are you will be fine. I did it at night to avoid parents, 11 years ago when I was 16, and it went ok. Dont go for a huge dose your first time. If you have any mental illnesses, or are on any psychoactive meds (particularly a certain class of anti depressants) slow down, and do some research first.
alrighty i guess ill do it at night too, thank u!

im not planning abt coming out of my room so they dont see me tripping.
This is a red flag, I definitely recommend that you find a different time/place where you can do it without having to confining yourself to your room for the duration of a mushroom trip. You'll end up preoccupied with the fear of having to interact with your parents, or your room will end up feeling like a prison etc, at the very least you'll likely feel confined. If you can't get a time/place like that, you probably need to wait until you're older and on your own.

My first proper trip was on my own and since then I've never tripped with anyone else, I prefer it. I wouldn't trip with my parents in the house though, it would make me super paranoid and probably ruin the trip for me because I'd spend the time worrying that they would come in to my room or try to talk to me. I prefer tripping during the day because I like to be able to go outside and if I wandered about in the dark I'd probably get freaked out.

I would also recommend starting with a small dose for your first time, particularly if you're not sure on the strength of the mushrooms you have. It may also be worth doing a very small dose as an allergy test if this is your first time with them.

In your situation it sounds to me like the best option would be to wait for a time when your parents are not home. Keep your mushrooms in a dark, dry place and they should be plenty potent in the future. When you do get to trip you will thank yourself for taking the time to make sure your set and setting were just right.

I’ve tripped more alone than with others, especially at your age.

I’d personally recommend finding a secluded spot in some woods that you know no one will stumble up on you. If my step mom was ever home (my dad was cool) I’d go off into the woods for the day to trip. (Make sure weather don’t go shit on you either.)

It can kinda suck if your stuck in your room the whole time worrying about if your folks are gonna wanna talk.

-GC

I tripped on LSD first time secluded in one room, it was big room. Haven't felt negatively restricted or anything. In contrary, haven't moved from sofa for ~3 hours.

During both my LSD trips and my only shroom trip, i started with people then eventually isolated.

I'd rather allow myself the freedom at first then restrict it if necessary, as opposed to starting restricted and not giving yourself any leeway.

It's nice to be able to get some reality checks throughout the trip if at all possible. Like, a smile of understanding. Instead of hearing things that may or may not be there through the walls of your room.

Simply because I love LSD so much I would urge you to wait for a time in your life with better control over your set and setting.
I don't actually think solo tripping is necessarily a bad thing even for a first time, I did most of my trips like that because I like isolation and going inside my head. Or, at least when i'm trying a new substance at home. Its probably not the best harm reduction to suggest to you that you do that vs having a trip sitter though.

Well, to be honest - that depends on your relationship with your parents. When you imagine them walking in on you trippin', how does that feel?
Anxious? Scary? Would they be okay with it? Would they rage, cry?

Set and setting are _so_ important, especially for one's first time. I cannot stress this enough, it can literally make or break a trip - make it blissfull or hellish.

I get that you're eager, but unless you're absolutely positive they won't come knocking, I would wait.

As for tripping alone, I find that's the best way to trip.

Sorry to shit on your parade, but I've tripped at times and locations where I've been worried about someone coming into the room, and it was more of a struggle than anything.

Set and setting is one of the most important things. It doesn't seem like it because in everday reality you don't look at things the same way you do when you are tripping and what seems manageable and okay will unfold into how things really are when the restrictive filter of everyday waking consciousness is taken away. This means that relationships you perceive as being bearable when you're not tripping but have nuances to them, such as a slightly controlling parent, passive aggressiveness, contrasting personalities, toxic relationships dynamics, trauma, past history of disagreements and general tension, the mental and emotional state of the other, their attitude towards you, personal boundaries etc this will all be out in the open when you are tripping. So if the atmosphere you are in is experienced how it really is when we're not filtering out as much as possible to be able to cope and live and let live, you will be affected by this.

It's not unusual for people to see this when they are tripping and it can be really uncomfortable sometimes potentially a cause for them to find themselves in negative thought loops and for the trip to turn dark. I once made the mistake of tripping with a 'friend' who most of the time was basically just an as*hole. I was in a bad place at the time and felt lonely so I had people around me so I didn't feel lonely but who were the least suitable candidates for healthy friendships. I wanted to believe I had friends but I knew I had settled for these people because that's all I believed I was worth at the time. Many of them quite frankly didn't give a f*ck about me but I grinned and beared it and normalized it all. Most were drug buddies who kept up the friend act in order to continue getting high with me, and likewise I was guilty of often being the same with them. Anyway, I brought hand picked locally sourced mushrooms to this guys house and we set about tripping. Originally I thought maybe we could breakthrough together and he would sort of change his ways and maybe we could connect on a deeper level. About an hour or so in he started fighting the trip, denying he could feel it, started getting really defensive and essentially layed on the hate towards me. His girlfriend was there (who he later tried to blackmail through a failed suicide attempt that he did mainly for attention) and he began the typical narcissistic triangulation techniques of making someone else the outsider of the group. That outsider turned out to be me. I was pretty high on these really good mushrooms and now I was essentially trying to preseve the state of my mind so my trip didn't lose control. The guy wasn't completely abusive nor was he a really spiteful and truly cold calculated guy. We were just not really friends and whatever point in our lives we were at, we as friends never really existed. It's in these moments you see a lot more than what appears on the surface, which is my point. Parts of him was good, genuinely. But he had a lot of demons and like a lot of my dysfunctional friends at the time, they all projected it outwardly and take it out on others. I went into life doing the same yet deep down I was searching for a real best friend. I saw a side to him that while vulnerable and open to suggestion in an exposed state of mind that while sober made me want to sock the guy in the eye. We actually had several fights but never laid a finger on each other because we somehow had just enough respect for one another to not take it that far. He once stole my new bike that I spent almost 5 months paying for in installments and we took it out into the street where we rolled around for a bit but we never threw one single punch. You cannot force these things. Psychedelics WILL reveal whatever act you are putting on, whatever illusions are present.

It's not that you will experience something like I did while tripping but what I'm again trying to emphasise is set and setting. This is something that since the very first breakthroughs in psychedelic psychotherapy and research occured has remained a PIVOTAL aspect of supporting an individual (or individuals) through psychedelic experience. The short fuse of a family member becomes a ticking time bomb in a trip. The passive aggressiveness becomes a potential trigger for endless anxiety and negative thought loops. Even the reality of people having completely different personalities and this while sober makes them clash sometimes will be emphasised when you're tripping and it may seem like you are worlds apart, which is not good when what you need during these times is grounding and to feel safe, secure and able to be present in your mind and body.

I would avoid tripping with family. Some people might be able to do it but those people are fortunate to have already a solid genuine relationship with their family that allows them to facilitate such experiences. Not every family understands one another beyond the superficial veil that many often hide behind in order to simply assume the family identity. Even close knit families while left open to the reality of their relationships with themselves and others will often experience difficulties. I would avoid tripping with friends who while sober raise concerns, if only because you genuinely care about them but you can see and feel things are not ideal. Listen to yourself and trust yourself.

Tripping on your own is fine. I've had several heavy mushroom trips on my own and they were singlehandedly the best experiences I've ever had. Difficult? Absolutely. But worth it? 100%.
That's where you'll meet yourself and whatever exists there.
Make sure you really take the time to really care about yourself before you trip, get everything in order, have the atmosphere prepared as best as possible, plan everything, be your own trip sitter in the way that everyday waking consciousness you made sure that tripping you could have the best possible experience :) You'll be surprised how much impact all the positive influence you can have before you trip offers somewhat of a safety net, a blanket, while you are not your everyday waking consciousness self with the filter turned to full and attempting to live up to the illusion of fitting into the wider part of our social realities.