• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Trip to Cascias and Lisbon, Portugal - my first time

Lotus123

Bluelighter
Hi I'm aware this is the place for "off topic" threads and I'm aware how intelligent and insightful members of this board are (smart people are much more likely to have addiction problems)

I'm going to Portugal and I want to see Lisbon as well as take a day to go to Cascais (I have a work thing I need to attend for a bit, the rest is holiday). This is my first time visting Portugal

Can anyone offer me some sensible advice and tips as well as how to make the most out of it? I don't know much about Lisbon and I know nothing about Cascais other than how beautiful it is.

The thought crossed my mind to rent a car. Now the obvious barrier here is that I am used to driving on the left (I am from the UK) and they drive on the right. I have been driving for over 15 years but all of it driving on the left. Would renting a car be a good/bad idea here? I don't know what driving/parking is like in Lisbon, Portugal but I know driving in London, England is a nightmare. It is very easy to get fined for doing nothing wrong driving in London.

I am grateful for anyone who can help, throw in their words of widsom or even give an opinion.

Hi I'm aware this is the place for "off topic" threads and I'm aware how intelligent and insightful members of this board are (smart people are much more likely to have addiction problems)

I'm going to Portugal and I want to see Lisbon as well as take a day to go to Cascais (I have a work thing I need to attend for a bit, the rest is holiday). This is my first time visting Portugal

Can anyone offer me some sensible advice and tips as well as how to make the most out of it? I don't know much about Lisbon and I know nothing about Cascais other than how beautiful it is.

The thought crossed my mind to rent a car. Now the obvious barrier here is that I am used to driving on the left (I am from the UK) and they drive on the right. I have been driving for over 15 years but all of it driving on the left. Would renting a car be a good/bad idea here? I don't know what driving/parking is like in Lisbon, Portugal but I know driving in London, England is a nightmare. It is very easy to get fined for doing nothing wrong driving in London.

I am grateful for anyone who can help, throw in their words of widsom or even give an opinion.
I can only speak on Lisbon as I've not been to Cascais. I don't think renting a car there would be worth it with the traffic, parking etc. The public transit system is excellent in Lisbon and that's what I used the entire time I was in the city. If you do rent a car make sure to tour outside of the big cities, a lot of the countryside of Portugal is beautiful. I rented a car and toured the "Algarve" region for a week, highly recommended if you enjoy nature.

Also if you have time left in Portugal the city of Porto is also a beautiful place, especially 'Vila novo de gaya' and the port wine cellars there.

Last edited: