View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Trip Sitting While Tripping

tunafingers

Greenlighter
We (hopefully) all know the benefits of having a trip sitter around to keep the trippers in line, but have you ever taken on the role of trip sitter while yourself tripping?

I ask this because it seems like every time I trip I become a sort of guide to other present trippers. Especially if there's newbies. Even though I might be laughing uncontrollably and completely engrossed in a fleece blanket one moment, the instance it seems like someone else is in need of a little assistance - I'm on it. In fact, I notice the effects of my trip are often temporarily blunted while in this "mothering" state. I can think clearly enough to say what I need to say to calm the other person down. (although sometimes i'm reduced to rubbing someone's back while "singing you are my sunshine" and staring at a strobe light... hehe)

Anyone else seem to fall into the role of the tripping trip sitter?

yup, i definitely do as well. it can be really rewarding to help someone out of a "bad" place during a trip.. but it can also be a burden, atleast for me.. i cant help but worry/help out my friends if i think they are having a bit of a hard time

Good lord! Every time I'm around anyone who is tripping, this is my automatic position whether I am tripping or not. I do everything I can for everyone.. keep them hydrated, get them anything they want including food runs.. provide them with pretty toys and think of things to do, talk them through issues... etc, etc. Haha, well.. it always does distract me a lot, so I try to keep trip sitting to a minimum. I don't get out to socialize much anyhow.. I guess it is sort of nice to have people looking to you for assistance and guidance, though. I guess everyone elects me as the sitter because I'm always calm and in control and always know what to do, sober or not. I'm usually just chillin by myself watching over everyone at a distance reading, playing a game, or watching a movie or somethin.

Good lord! Every time I'm around anyone who is tripping, this is my automatic position whether I am tripping or not. I do everything I can for everyone.. keep them hydrated, get them anything they want including food runs.. provide them with pretty toys and think of things to do, talk them through issues... etc, etc. Haha, well.. it always does distract me a lot, so I try to keep trip sitting to a minimum. I don't get out to socialize much anyhow.. I guess it is sort of nice to have people looking to you for assistance and guidance, though.

Seems good! I'm trying to take the same position (especially while not tripping myself) but sometimes it can be very hard to know where the line goes, concerning jokes for example; even with your very closest friends. I suppose a safe way out is to be just as kind and gentle as possible, but then again it's hard to let go of the jargon you've developed during countless times together while sober and light-hearted.

I'm the same way.
But generally in the past year or so I made the decision that I will NEVER ever trip with newbs again, or actually most of my friends even. Only a select few, that I know will not freak out and not make me "trip sit"... and just trip. I'm tired of mothering people, not because I don't like helping people but because I just wish people were more responsible and researched about what they're doing before they do it. But I constantly find myself helping people out at parties and raves, cause nobody wants to see someone freak out or overdose or black out.

I don't find this happens with me, although I've only tripped with friends just as experienced.

We rarely get into bad freakouts and we are all capable of calming ourselves down.

But ill be sitting for some newbies soon and I'll let you know if its something i mind or not...

Done it many times and usually dont mind. I am usually the most experinced in those areas of anyone I know ( but I realize that in the big picture even thoses that have done a 100 substances are only have experienced a small fraction of what the world offers in the way of highs) so I often end up reassuring and even guiding people through when they need someone. At first it is hard to get the balance between enjoying your trip and assisting the less experienced but I got it down quick enough. I CAN focus on my surroundings usually even much better while tripping but if you spend the whole trip nurturing others you miss the whole introspective aspect of whatever that substance may offer. sometimes for this reason I trip alone.
As the person who needs a sitter, which I have had a few experiences of going away over board, it is reassuring to have a non tripping person in the group in some ways at times for security sake, especailly if you go into public, have more drugs on you or are traveling by car in anyway. On the opther side of that you relate better to someone else who is tripping even to the point that at times those that are not tripping are hard to deal with.
the main time I dont like to trip sit while tripping though is when I am trying a new substance, I'm on very high doses of familiar substances, or when i am on a combo of drugs that makes that type of focus very difficult if not impossible such as being on 3 or more different psycedelics at once or a high amount or dissociatives while tripping.

yes. It was my first psychedelic experiment. I had just barely started smoking weed and my friend decides to get shrooms, so we get 1/8 oz, split it, and eat it. I was really chill but he was way over-emotional and tripping hard. Meanwhile there were four girls there who were drinking... not a good environment..they kind of ganged up on us. I definitely wasn't sober but it felt like I was the most coherent one there. I had to pretty much baby sit my friend and keep him in a good mood for a few hours. The shrooms weren't bad..it just wasn't a very fun experience. If I do shrooms again I'll be doing it alone. I enjoy doing psychs alone or at a party..depends on my mood. I've never had a trip sitter. Never needed one even on heroic doses.

I've never really thought of it as trip sitting, but I'm often the one people turn to if they're having a rough time. I'm very grounding apparently no matter how high I may be flying, or so I've been told.

I also get the thing tunafingers mentions of my own trip fading away for a while if I'm doing my reassurance bit. Even happens with complete strangers at parties and stuff sometimes. I quite like it really - feels good to know you've helped somebody calm down a bit and enjoy themselves more. Can be a mite irritating when you're trying to have fun yourself sometimes, but it seems to be a role that suits me. And many other here too by the looks of things :)

I tend to try and help people out often through out my daily life and this stays true when I'm tripping. If someone isn't feeling it, I'll try and come up with the best way to change the environment or something going on within the environment that works for the whole group.

salvia trip sitting can be hilarious sometimes. i remember once, 5 seperate people took their hits, and then they just ran. we were sitting on a playground set, so they ended up running down the stairs and falling in the sand, and then laughing uncontrollably. 5 people did this... it was ridiculous

yes.

its why i trip alone nowadays because I feel like when with other people I get too engrossed in their trips...I empathize way hard and its just an overwhelming experience leading somebody out of a dark place when you're barely there within your normal ego view.

I like running alone through the woods with wind from my moving body blowing in my face!

Yes, especially if I'm introducing folks to the world of "unresearched chemicals", I tend to put my concerns of their well-being above my own inner tripping out world.

Ive trip sat with DXM in my system.

Basically I'm quite experienced working the DXM and I figured I could handle being upper 2nd plateau with a friend on the same level for his first time.

I've also been really high as hell off vicodin and dxm (low dxm amount) on another friends first trip.

I got a lot coming though I think somebody is gonna have to babysit me.

Yeah I have very little psychedelic experience, but every time I end up being that guy. I like it, makes me feel good.

I've never really thought of it as trip sitting, but I'm often the one people turn to if they're having a rough time. I'm very grounding apparently no matter how high I may be flying, or so I've been told.

Me too. I can easily help someone into a calmer, happier state, somehow sensing what they need, calming words, a distraction, some cuddles or a walk. It is a wonderful thing to be able to help friends in need with your presence.

Almost every time I've taken a psych with people I fall into the role. It really keeps me from having as much of an introspective trip as I would like, although every time has been enjoyable. I'm definitely going to trip solo next time. It seems like I can't close my eyes long enough to get fully engulfed before I freak out about someone doing some random shit, having to talk down knife wielding friends while trying to figure out which of the three faces is really theirs gets old lol.