Mental Health Triggers

Phoenix_rising

Bluelighter
What are the main contributing factors in your depression? Was you depressed before a life of drug abuse? Did you use drugs/alcohol because of depression?

Lots of questions for you to ponder over and give your honest replies. No one here is judging.

As a community we would love to hear your story and how you cope. Maybe we can learn new techniques?

Last of all have you used psychedelics as a medicine instead of traditional antidepressants? If so what helped and how.

Let's not have depression rules our lives.

Peace out and shine on
Phoenix

I had pretty severe depression in my teens, attributed to moving halfway across the country to a new town and having to "start all over". Antidepressants were forced on me as a teenager. I think it's for that reason, I saw worsening rather than improvement.
I self medicated with alcohol, marijuana and occasionally other stuff and that certainly got me through the hard times but it didn't help my regimen or productivity level. I became severely addicted to marijuana by the time I was nineteen, being on disability with nothing better to do. Finally, there came some hope. By this time I was off all medications, but still severely mentally ill. I reached out for psychedelics like LSD and mushrooms which helped me quit alcohol and marijuana. They had a greater sort of efficacy so I was able to not abuse these things any more in a way I felt content with.

As the years went by, doctors kept insisting a mood stabilizer for my depression and mania would be the best choice, but I knew the stuff they were prescribing was crap. I eventually saw their point of view and humored them for a while but the mood stabilizers ended up doing way more physical harm than good. Like Lithium toxicity. Now I'm moving off a mood stabilizer because my mood doesn't fluctuate anymore if I don't want it to. I've managed to work well without it. I guess I attribute that ability to being more conscious of what's going on.

I would say of all the medications I've tried, there are very few that contributed to any level of helping my mental health. I think it was more in the combination of being in a peaceful environment, surrounded by loving people and slowly taking on the responsibility of dealing with my illness as much on my own as humanly possible that really contributed to my health and growth. I have a severely debilitating illness so, considering I can manage so much on my own that most people with my illness seriously lose their shit over has allowed me to look over the years of growth, at least, and assess how far I've come.

I have severe depression, before starting drugs I was useless but now with just anafranil I feel the life deserve other chance
I have took anafranil for 2 years and got just 13 days withdrawal symptoms, it was horrible , but it's deserve
The initial effect was so strong,
But after taking it for 6 month, his effectiveness decreased to 20%, but I still got that 20% after 4 years from starting, this make sense for mine.

Drugs is like Minesweeper in goldmine, if you are able to use it right, it's will be the most helpful tool exist.

Thanks for sharing your experience Ibtisam. Anafranil is a tricyclic antidepressant,one of the old school types. I'm glad this medication worked for you,for others it doesn't.

It seems very hit and miss with prescribed antidepressant medication as they do lose their efficacy as in your case,many Doctors then cycle different kinds. I'm glad your Anafranil still does the job and you're able to live a life without terrible depression.

I wish you well.

I had pretty severe depression in my teens, attributed to moving halfway across the country to a new town and having to "start all over". Antidepressants were forced on me as a teenager. I think it's for that reason, I saw worsening rather than improvement.
I self medicated with alcohol, marijuana and occasionally other stuff and that certainly got me through the hard times but it didn't help my regimen or productivity level. I became severely addicted to marijuana by the time I was nineteen, being on disability with nothing better to do. Finally, there came some hope. By this time I was off all medications, but still severely mentally ill. I reached out for psychedelics like LSD and mushrooms which helped me quit alcohol and marijuana. They had a greater sort of efficacy so I was able to not abuse these things any more in a way I felt content with.

As the years went by, doctors kept insisting a mood stabilizer for my depression and mania would be the best choice, but I knew the stuff they were prescribing was crap. I eventually saw their point of view and humored them for a while but the mood stabilizers ended up doing way more physical harm than good. Like Lithium toxicity. Now I'm moving off a mood stabilizer because my mood doesn't fluctuate anymore if I don't want it to. I've managed to work well without it. I guess I attribute that ability to being more conscious of what's going on.

I would say of all the medications I've tried, there are very few that contributed to any level of helping my mental health. I think it was more in the combination of being in a peaceful environment, surrounded by loving people and slowly taking on the responsibility of dealing with my illness as much on my own as humanly possible that really contributed to my health and growth. I have a severely debilitating illness so, considering I can manage so much on my own that most people with my illness seriously lose their shit over has allowed me to look over the years of growth, at least, and assess how far I've come.

Iridecentblack your story is one of hope in using psychedelics to overcome depression.
We're coming into an age where psychedelics are becoming recognized as powerful medicine capable of changing lives for the better.

Ibtisam was fortunate enough to respond well to conventional medicine,but for many it doesn't. For many it becomes just a band aid and doesn't get to the root of the problem,even when having counselling they end up jumping from one prescription drug to another. I've seen people with depression that end up far worse in the long run,numb to their emotions and stuck on mood stabilizers.

I think it takes a brave soul to take a leap of faith and look for help elsewhere,to use psychedelics in the way you have Iridecentblack. I hope others who read this who don't have the luck that Ibtisam has had can have the courage to try and seek out alternative medicines. If only the future was here now and psychedelics were in the mainstream,regulated in a safe manner by professionals.

Keep the faith people,it will happen,it's just a matter of time.