• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Trichocereus grandiflorus synonym of Echinopsis huascha (Red Torch Cactus)

ADruggie

Greenlighter
I found one of these in a local shop (labelled as such). It was a variety bred to grow low to the ground in a different shape (non-culumnar). Are there any interesting alkaloids in this one?

Probably only wishful thinking...I found this:

Trichocereus grandiflorus

Though T. grandiflorus is not known as a traditional hallucinogen, this short columnar species has gained interest due to Shulgin's unpublished chemical analysis, which indicated the presence of N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT), the powerful hallucinogenic drug contained in numerous plants known for their historical use throughout South America.

Upon the reanalysis of T. grandiflorus Shulgin was unable to confirm the presence of DMT and had some concern as to whether or not the same plant material was used for the confirmation. Shulgin's belief was that he used the red-flowering variety originally and the yellow-flowering variety afterwards, but there had also been concern about the use of contaminated laboratory equipment.

Contemporary human bioassay has strongly suggested the presence of mescaline, at least in the white-flowered variety.

Several flower colors exist, including white, yellow, and red. The white-flowered species is nocturnal-blooming and is known as Trichocereus grandiflorus, while the red-flowered day-bloomer is better known as Helianthocereus grandiflorus. Both are in their own distinct taxa, but are closely related. A yellow-flowered day-blooming variety is also known to exist, but it may simply be an "affinity" species that may not in fact be T.grandiflorus. The red- and white-flowering T. lobivioides "grandiflorus" appear to be synonymous with H. grandiflorus and T. grandiflorus respectively. Claritive identification of the variations and their proper taxon classification is necessary.

Often this species is referred to as Lobivia. Of the very few Helianthocereus and Lobivia species tested for alkaloids, none have been found to contain mescaline.

Would it be dangerous to bioassay? Any toxic Echinopsis? I'm not as hopeful as to try drying it out and using it as incense, despite Shulgin's lab occurences Ha ha.

Be careful and stick to the trichs / echinopsis species known to contain mesc .

Some of these cacti contain an alkaloid called Candicine , which is very nasty stuff .

www.trichoseriousethnobotany.blogspot.com.au is a good site with lots of easy to find info .There are , of course , many others also....

Alright, so Trichocereus candicans is definitely a no-go and I personally would leave grandiflorus alone, at least until I got more info. Interesting the relationship between tyramine, hordenine, and candicine. Hordenine is of course present in other cacti of interest and apparently similar to candicine, but less toxic? Hordenine and Candicine found in barley. Hordenine used as a nutritional supplement, but may not be orally active. I'm sure that Candicine can be nasty, but looking it up on Wikipedia will give an exaggerated impression of toxicity. What is the relevance of IV administration to animals? What about oral administration to humans? What range of concentration or mechanics of digestion would dictate the dose? Apparently it has similar effects to nicotine. Thanks for the informed response. I find it fascinating how ignorant we are of phytochemistry relative to other areas of study and how there are still many unexplored frontiers. I couldn't find much on the linked blog that was relevant to these ponderings. It seems to be mostly about growing cacti and finding interesting varieties/hybrids.

That blog site has a section pertaining to alkaloids found in the various trichocereus species , if my memory serves .