• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tremors after quitting topiramate cold turkey

LemonadeShower

Greenlighter
Hello guys. I come here once again with something that is bugging me. I had been on topiramate for aproximately 6 years sometimes quitting it and then coming back. But this time I've decided to quit for good. It was prescribed by my psychiatrist as a way to reduce my drug cravings (although I pretty much only use marijuana and alcohol, the alcohol being my main problem in the last years and I even consider myself an alcoholic...) and to manage some of my impulsive behaviours (which included the drug use).

So I've been off the topiramate for aproximately one month since the last time I took my daily 100mg dose (I was on 200mg daily for quite a long time but my psychiatrist lowered it to 100). I did quit cold turkey without telling my doctor because I didn't want to put more toxic drugs on my body besides the two I use recreationaly and besides the pill of disulfiram I take from time to time when I feel like I can't stop drinking. I read online that it would be a bad idea to quit topiramate cold turkey but I just didn't want to wait.

So what happened in the first days after I stopped taking the pill, I started to feel tremors on my fingers and my hands it was so bad I couldn't type on my cellphone or even pack my tiny pipe with weed. And for some reason it would be even worse when I smoked weed. But here's a reason that makes me think those tremors are not only related to stopping topiramate, and that they started in those days merely by coincidence: I had been drinking quite heavily for days before the tremors appeared (same time I decided to quit topiramate) and for some reason those same tremors would dissapear or be less noticeable when I drank.

So the idea of being alcohol dependant also crossed my mind. But I don't think that could be the cause since I can go for a week w/o alcohol. It's pretty hard to stop drinking for me and for the last 2 years I haven't lasted for more than one or two weeks without a little binge and only with the help of disulfiram, so I guess my alcoholism is not yet in a physiological level or I wouldn't last more than 2 days, I guess it's still more of a psychological addiction.

Those tremors were pretty bad in the first 2 weeks and even the third one after I stopped the pill. Like I said, it's been one month now and I barely feel them when I'm sober but for some reason each time I smoke weed it becomes so hard for me to do easy things like typing on cellphone or manipulating small objects. Hell for some reason each time I smoke weed I even feel like my legs shake a bit. And It wasn't like that until I stopped using the pill. I don't know if it's the topiramate w/d or that marijuana and alcohol abuse for years have damaged my brain or something on my dopamine receptors.

Hey LS, so yeah, sorry to hear you're having these troubles but Topiramate is one strange fellow. Considering it effects like 5 separate systems, it's not a drug that one can just take or leave on a whim without some fairly serious potential for lingering problems. Especially with 6 years of use under your belt, even with some breaks here and there this one needs a bit more care.

It effects Calcium channels, Sodium channels, GABAa receptors, AMPA- Kainate receptors and Carbonic anhydrase enzymes. I'm not even sure where to start with the cannabinoid interaction but I think this calls for some medical intervention. I mean it's great that you have done somewhat okay this far but some sort of taper set up by your doctor would probably alleviate a ton of these problems and prevent any future ones that haven't begun yet. It might really improve the quality of your life..

A taper is definitely needed, good work removing one of your consumed drugs, but as stated above, this drug needs tapering to minimize issues.

Can you comsider tapering, or reducing alcohol and weed for few weeks (hard im sure) so withdrawal isnt complicated by other drugs?

Yeah strangely enough seizure risk goes up when you drink on Topiramate, that's a funny one and a drug of strange sorcery.

When I took topimax I would get shakey and tingley if I took my next dose even a few hours late.
I tapered when my doctor took me off it, I'd been on it for weightloss.