• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Tremor/jitters from Gabapentin

anon091

Greenlighter
I've been using Gabapentin on and off for a few months. I was originally RX'd 400mg 4x/day for antipsychotic (Asenapine/Saphris) withdrawal. One of the side-effects from withdrawal was a tremor in various parts of my body. It was pretty much anywhere when I engaged my muscles or had to do fine motor skills like writing or typing. I have been 100% off the Saphris for almost 6 months now (I did a slow taper over the course of about 4 months) and I don't really notice any negative effects anymore, except when I get high on Gabapentin. I can't recall if it made me jittery before the Saphris, since it had been a few years since I last did it before the RX. Taking even 800mg of Gabapenin will give me similar to (but distinct from) the tremors I had from the WD. It's more of a full-body shivering, but is more intense in my hands and legs. Quite literally feels like my body is cold and shivering to warm up. They kind of come and go in waves.

Does anyone else experience this? It's quite odd since Gabapentin is used for seizures and essential tremor. I couldn't really find much info regarding it online. There was one rehab website that mentioned jitters/shakes as an overdose symptom, but I wouldn't expect an overdose on 800mg, nor do I really trust the website.

Thanks for reading

Gabapentin is stimulating in lower doses.
for most folk anyway i get the sweats aswell off it.
and i get tremors from lyrica

I've been using Gabapentin on and off for a few months. I was originally RX'd 400mg 4x/day for antipsychotic (Asenapine/Saphris) withdrawal. One of the side-effects from withdrawal was a tremor in various parts of my body. It was pretty much anywhere when I engaged my muscles or had to do fine motor skills like writing or typing. I have been 100% off the Saphris for almost 6 months now (I did a slow taper over the course of about 4 months) and I don't really notice any negative effects anymore, except when I get high on Gabapentin. I can't recall if it made me jittery before the Saphris, since it had been a few years since I last did it before the RX. Taking even 800mg of Gabapenin will give me similar to (but distinct from) the tremors I had from the WD. It's more of a full-body shivering, but is more intense in my hands and legs. Quite literally feels like my body is cold and shivering to warm up. They kind of come and go in waves.

Does anyone else experience this? It's quite odd since Gabapentin is used for seizures and essential tremor. I couldn't really find much info regarding it online. There was one rehab website that mentioned jitters/shakes as an overdose symptom, but I wouldn't expect an overdose on 800mg, nor do I really trust the website.

Thanks for reading
I've been taking Gabapentin along time and I've never experienced this, but when I'm withdrawing from Gabapentin I'll get the chills real bad like right now lol.but no tremors I have experienced a twitch or spasm in my muscle b4 from Gabapentin

I've been taking Gabapentin along time and I've never experienced this, but when I'm withdrawing from Gabapentin I'll get the chills real bad like right now lol.but no tremors I have experienced a twitch or spasm in my muscle b4 from Gabapentin

Interesting. I wonder if the spasm is related.

It's actually a known side effect of both pregabalin and gabapentin. In high doses, both can cause seizures so one must be careful. They are not anticonvulsants for typical seizure disorders really. Pregabalin actually exacerbated my own epilepsy at high doses...

It's actually a known side effect of both pregabalin and gabapentin. In high doses, both can cause seizures so one must be careful. They are not anticonvulsants for typical seizure disorders really. Pregabalin actually exacerbated my own epilepsy at high doses...
Yea I've had a seizure from combining pregabalin and Gabapentin

Thanks for reading

That's why i always take a few Valium when high dosing Gabapentin or Lyrica ...! Just about any benzodiazepine will help.

aren't they anti-convulsants? i mean i've taken quite literally upwards of 40,000mg in a 24hr period a few weeks back and about 3-4k pregab while on a heavy amp binge but i never ever experienced anything except for positives from pegab/pentin, other than the one time when i ate 3/4s a bottle of pentin when i first used it and ended up flopping onto the floor and couldn't walk a straight line to save my life
Yea I've had a seizure from combining pregabalin and Gabapentin
a seizure? what the fuck though, i've literally combined them religiously for over a month and nothing has happened all the while addy ive read lowers the seizure threshhold making you also more likely to have one??? i'm baffled to say the least

could opiates also play a factor in my lack of seizing? i've taken 1200mg of tramadol on one occasion which was the 2nd and last time i'll ever be taking it, without taking the 400mg limit too seriously which i admit was probably stupid but i had taken some kpins with it, but that was probably the worst opiate experience i've ever had, i did have a decent odd opiate nod for 3 hours and then felt extreme nausea for a good 16 after that where i was smoking hash for the first time in months just to keep myself from vomitting

Last edited:
aren't they anti-convulsants? i mean i've taken quite literally upwards of 40,000mg in a 24hr period a few weeks back and about 3-4k pregab while on a heavy amp binge but i never ever experienced anything except for positives from pegab/pentin, other than the one time when i ate 3/4s a bottle of pentin when i first used it and ended up flopping onto the floor and couldn't walk a straight line to save my life

a seizure? what the fuck though, i've literally combined them religiously for over a month and nothing has happened all the while addy ive read lowers the seizure threshhold making you also more likely to have one??? i'm baffled to say the least

could opiates also play a factor in my lack of seizing? i've taken 1200mg of tramadol on one occasion which was the 2nd and last time i'll ever be taking it, without taking the 400mg limit too seriously which i admit was probably stupid but i had taken some kpins with it, but that was probably the worst opiate experience i've ever had, i did have a decent odd opiate nod for 3 hours and then felt extreme nausea for a good 16 after that where i was smoking hash for the first time in months just to keep myself from vomitting
It seems some people are more likely to be predisposed? 2g of gabapentin has me shaking like I'm outside in freezing weather without a jacket, where some people I know can take 4g and be totally fine.