• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Trazodone versus amitriptyline

suzieq70s

Bluelighter
Hey y'all. Just got prescribed amitriptyline for insomnia. I've tried trazodone before and the side effects were horrible.

Is amitriptyline in the same class of drugs as trazodone. Will the side effects from the amityiptaline be the same.

Kind of worried. Don't want to experience that again

Hey y'all. Just got prescribed amitriptyline for insomnia. I've tried trazodone before and the side effects were horrible.

Is amitriptyline in the same class of drugs as trazodone. Will the side effects from the amityiptaline be the same.

Kind of worried. Don't want to experience that again
I always found Mirtazapine to be a superior alternative. That's if you can get it, Similar(ish) type of drugs. Trazodone gave me Priapism! :/

What were the bad side effects you got from trazodone? And how long after taking it did they begin? My Dr and I were just talking about possibly prescribing me trazodone for insomnia but for now im still trying a variety of OTC meds for it to see if any combo work. Just wondering what shitty side effects the stuff gave you so i know what to look for if i do get prescribed the stuff. (Sorry for being off topic, just a little curiosity i thought the OP could help me with) You could reply here or even better just pm me. As pm's allert me when i get one so ill def read it. Thanks a lot! Hope you get a sleeping pill that works with no shit side effects!!!

I personally wouldn't recommend trazodone. There's so many better alternatives with far fewer side effects.

I have also been prescribed Amitriptyline for insomnia and zopiclone. I've been taking zopiclone for about two months now. Breaks in between to bring down tolerance. Is Amitriptyline any good for a sleep aid? I'd really prefer if my doctor gave me the higher strength zopiclone instead of adding Amitriptyline. But I'll see if it helps. Possibly help with my GAD too?

If your only having problems sleeping I would go with z-drugs, amitriptyline is a tri-cyclic antidepressant which also can make you very drowsy, hence the usage as a sleep aid. I took nortriptyline for a few years as an antidepressant.

Well I'm now on 7.5 mg of mirtazapine and it's pretty much worthless. Gonna think about lunesta or belsomra or one of those. But my doc said flat out she doesn't prescribe those

Well I have awful anxiety. Awful sleep problems. And a terrible back. Will Amitriptyline help with any of this ?

Tried both Trazodone and Mirtazapine and the latter at 45mg just made me eat non-stop. Prefer codeine to tramadol but all the docs seem to hand me now is Thorazine (Chlorpromazine) or Seroquel.

I've found amitriptyline to be better for staying asleep. This is only my personal experience.

I don't like mirtazapine, it makes me eat non stop, I sleep for so long and feel like a drowsy monged out zombie for the next 12 hours.

The Amitriptyline is actually pretty decent for my sleep. It takes awhile for me to come round properly when I wake up. It does help my back slightly too.

Only side effect I'm not keen on is it makes me feel a little void of emotion. Not always. But sometimes out of nowhere I'm abit fed up but sorta not bothered that I'm fed up.

Unsure if I should carry on using it. I'll see what my psychiatrist has to say next week anyway.