• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Trazodone to spot treat anxiety?

mrmarkvile

Greenlighter
I am prescribed 300mg Trazodone at night for anxiety, although I usually only take 200mg to keep some for emergencies.

I am experiencing a lot of extra stress at the moment and right now for example I also have physical symptoms like headache, rapid heart rate, dizziness, nausea etc as well as acute anxiety.

I know that Trazodone works within an hour. If I take say 300mg now, will it help? My anxiety is really bad so I'm desperate.

Note: I do not currently have access to more typical anxiolytics like benzodiazepines or barbiturates.

There are variables to consider. The amount of time that you have been taking this medication and your dosage for starters.

I have taken this medication a long time ago, prescribed by a doctor. I noticed effects immediately, but full effects for a lot of people do not start happening until as long as a month.

How long have you been taking Trazadone?

I have been taking it for about a year. I am prescribed Sertraline (Zoloft) 150mg and Quetiapine (Seroquel) 600mg for Borderline Personality Disorder w/ psychosis. I still was experiencing anxiety so was prescribed an adjunct therapy of 300mg Trazodone which I was told to take in one dose before bed because of its hypnotic effects at that high a dose.

I noticed the effects immediately after my first dose.

For me personally, trazadone may make me feel sleepy, lessen my anxiety, but the next day, I noticed it makes my social anxiety a lit worse verse not taking trazadone at all

OP, I also have gone through extra stress and anxiety in the last few months.

The best thing you can do is first contact your doctor first.

A common drug, Hydroxyzine, works well for anxiety and sleep. This is an excellent add on medication that is really not abusable.

You can mention this medication to your doctor

Last edited:
Thanks. I have made an appointment with my GP but it is not until Thursday. Hopefully he will prescribe something (I will mention Hydroxyzine). I know quite a few people prescribed Pregablin (Lyrica) for anxiety so I intend to ask about that too. Plus the Lyrica will help with my chronic pain.

I hate that in the UK you cannot just get klonopin or xanax for severe anxiety. The only thing that has worked for me has been benzodiazapines, but you really have to try so many other meds and really push for it to get any. Even then I only got prescribed 5mg diazepam twice a day.

I want Lorazepam ideally. I was given 2.5mg three times a day the whole six weeks I was on the Acute Mental Health Ward for and it worked as a miracle drug.