• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Trazadone?

ssri?

What is Trazadones classification as an antidepresant? Is it an ssri, or something different?

No one really knows..

DESYREL = trazodone
The mechanism of DESYREL’s antidepressant action in man is not fully understood. In animals, DESYREL selectively inhibits serotonin uptake by brain synaptosomes and potentiates the behavioral changes induced by the serotonin precursor, 5-hydroxytryptophan. Cardiac conduction effects of DESYREL in the anesthetized dog are qualitatively dissimilar and quantitatively less pronounced than those seen with tricyclic antidepressants. DESYREL is not a monoamine oxidase inhibitor and, unlike amphetamine-type drugs, does not stimulate the central nervous system.
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/traz_cp.htm

A new question?

This is an old thread that I dug up relating to Trazadone/Deseryl and want/need to know beacause Iv been on it for quit awhile now. So, does Trazadone have any WD type symptoms when someone discontinues use? Is it like other antidepresant drugs ware you expierence all types of bad symptoms when you stop taking it?

I have been taking it at night(150-200mg) to help with sleep for a few months, but I have also started to feel its antidipresant qualities too, after a few weeks.

It seems to be a pretty mild drug, but can somebody with expierence please tell me what will happen when/ if I stop taking it. Will I have the problems associated with other antidepresant drugs. I dont think its as serious as something like Effexor or zoloft, but Iv never been on those drugs(thank god).

Can somebody please shine some light on this queation? Please.

Yeah i used to be prescribed 150mgs everynight BEFORE BED TO GO TO SLEEP, THAT SHIT WOULD KNOCK ME OUT HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!! i had to STOP TAKING THEM because in the morning ID STILL HAVE A STRONG HANGOVER THAT MADE ME THINK THE PILLS WERE WORKING................. (When I woke up)

medicine cabinet said:
trazadone will knock you out pretty quick, but its an overwhelming sedation feeling. its weird and unpleasant, i hate it. plus it always make me feel like shit in the morning, long half life or something.

tOTALLY aGReE WITH YOU MAN.........................

MethaContin said:
Yeah i used to be prescribed 150mgs everynight BEFORE BED TO GO TO SLEEP, THAT SHIT WOULD KNOCK ME OUT HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!! i had to STOP TAKING THEM because in the morning ID STILL HAVE A STRONG HANGOVER THAT MADE ME THINK THE PILLS WERE WORKING................. (When I woke up)
So what happend when you discontinued use? Did you have any WD symptoms at all? Does anybody know what you feel like when you stop taking Trazadone/Desyrel? ie insomnia, depression, or other wierd head trip shit.

thugpassion said:
So what happend when you discontinued use? Did you have any WD symptoms at all? Does anybody know what you feel like when you stop taking Trazadone/Desyrel? ie insomnia, depression, or other wierd head trip shit.

No there was NO WITHDRAWAL AT ALL, i told my doctor i had to quit using them and all he did was switch me over to Restoril (Temazepam) :)

it is an anti depress, really good for sleep.

most times given to people coming off opiate addiction instead of ambien(cause yea you can rail that too) in combination with methadone or suboxone/subutex(which only takes the chills away).

ive heard some horror stories with with traz too in high doses so be careful! ;)

I HATE trazodone
It will put me to sleep but I wake up after usually only 6hrs of sleep and I am unable to go back to sleep unless I take another one.
But the worse part is the headaches. If I take more than 1 I will get pounding headaches all the next day....guh hate it
only my experience though...

yea, i got out of rehab and they prescribed 50mgs of it. i was taking it everyday in rehab. i feel that it doesn't really make me go straight to sleep anymore, but i feel that it keeps me asleep. i never wake up in the middle of the night anymore. when i left i continued taking it. i felt the effects decrease so i started taking 100mg(2 pills). and that was alright for a while but i can see it not working again. i don't wanna keep increasing the dosage. so next time i go to a doctor i'll tell him and see if he can prescribe me lunesta. i hate seroquel. and i don't wanna get addicted to ambien. and i also take celexa in the morning. and atarax.

Trazadone works really well for me at 75 mg, unless I'm super wired, and then only benzo's work.
Originally I was prescribed 50 mg trazodone and shit didn't work at all....i decided to take 1-1/2 one time and voila! Works great, I sleep a full nite and no hangover for me (unlike benzos which definitely leave me groggy the next day).
Trazodone is super cheap, non-addictive, and readily prescribed by most docs....

What someone wrote about feeling dizzy and like passing out on it, is what I feel when I do ambien. ....i hate that stuff, makes me feel HORRIBLE.

i want to try lunesta.... =)

Personally I don't think they prescribe it hardly ever for depression (seeing that it is a anti-depressant) because people fall asleep. But does anyone think that if you are not depressed it could change the chemical balance in your brain and cause problems?

umm not really, or put it this way,
i got 99 problems and that ain't one!
no, really though.....
everything changes the chemical balance of the brain....emotions, food, sex, exercise, supplements, etc......
the occasional trazodone taken for sleep is not something i'm personally concerned about on that level.
shits been around for decades, and as far as i can tell, is less toxic than lots of other Rx drugs.