• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Traxoprodil

specialspack

Bluelighter
According to Vollenweider and Kometer (http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v11/n9/abs/nrn2884.html), traxoprodil "produces dose dependent psychotropic effects similar to those of ketamine in humans".

The reference is to this:

An innovative design to establish proof of concept of the antidepressant effects of the NR2B subunit selective N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonist, CP-101,606, in patients with treatment-refractory major depressive disorder.

Preskorn SH, Baker B, Kolluri S, Menniti FS, Krams M, Landen JW.

Clinical Research Institute, Wichita, KS 67204, USA. [email protected]

Comment in:

* J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2009 Aug;29(4):411-2; author reply 412.

Abstract

This randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study was the first to evaluate the antidepressant efficacy, safety, and tolerability of an NR2B subunit-selective N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist, CP-101,606. Subjects had major depression, according to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition criteria and a history of treatment refractoriness to least 1 adequate trial of a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. The study had 2 treatment periods. In period 1, subjects first received a 6-week open-label trial of paroxetine and a single-blind, intravenous placebo infusion. Period 1 nonresponders (n = 30) then received a randomized double-blind single infusion of CP-101,606 or placebo plus continued treatment with paroxetine for up to an additional 4 weeks (period 2). Depression severity was assessed using the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale and 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale. On the prespecified main outcome measure (change from baseline in the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale total score at day 5 of period 2), CP-101,606 produced a greater decrease than did placebo (mean difference, 8.6; 80% confidence interval, -12.3 to -4.5) (P < 0.10). Hamilton Depression Rating Scale response rate was 60% for CP-101,606 versus 20% for placebo. Seventy-eight percent of CP-101,606-treated responders maintained response status for at least 1 week after the infusion. CP-101,606 was safe, generally well tolerated, and capable of producing an antidepressant response without also producing a dissociative reaction. Antagonism of the NR2B subtype of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor may be a fruitful target for the development of a new antidepressant with more robust effects and a faster onset compared with those currently available and capable of working when existing antidepressants do not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19011431

Are they just talking about the anti-depressant effects, or are the acute effects similar too?

1406cp101606.gif

CAS 189894-57-3 (methanesulphonate)
134234-12-1 (freebase)

I would imagine that in high enough doses it would muddle your thought a fair amount. I see papers on the antinociceptive effects of the compound; that's a good sign.

agreed, very usefull in my opinion
effewct is lacking something tho. But still very usefull tool

Problem is that most pure NMDA antagonists don't seem to be that recreational, and just because something causes "phencyclidine-appropriate responding" in animals doesn't necessarily mean it will feel like PCP in humans.

Bear in mind that the arylcyclohexylamines used recreationally like ketamine and phencyclidine also show significant activity as dopamine reuptake inhibitors and mu opioid agonists, so they are not just NMDA antagonists unlike many of the newer more selective compounds.

Experience reports with non-arylcyclohexylamine NMDA antagonists like 2-MDP and dizocilpine on the other hand tend to be predominantly negative and dysphoric, with the exception of a few high dose dizocilpine trips where the effects were so overwhelmingly intense that a breakthrough psychedelic experience was had.

Selfotel is another NMDA antagonist that got to human clinical trials and produces dissociative effects, but they were reported as an unpleasant adverse side effect rather than as cause for concern about abuse potential - mind you any trial subjects who did enjoy those effects probably wouldn't have told their doctors about it!!

Last edited:
Problem is that most pure NMDA antagonists don't seem to be that recreational, and just because something causes "phencyclidine-appropriate responding" in animals doesn't necessarily mean it will feel like PCP in humans.

That's what I thought, which was why I was surprised to see Vollenweider and Kometer's comment that it produced effects "similar to ketamine" in humans.

I guess "how similar?" is the crucial question!

2-MDP has a strong dopamine stimulating effect. I don't believe it has had a fair evaluation tho, neither do I think most of these rare dissociatives have. There's alot of negative reports for PCP and Tiletamine but peops I know who've tried em say otherwise

I take it this is in the 4-Hydroxy-4-Aryl-Piperidine class. I believe it has potential for cool dissocitatives. I'd like to try just straight 4-HO-4-benzyl/phenylpiperidine. I think this class is related to many opiates as well as the antipsychotic Haldol. So there's probly alotta ways to tweak the molecule more beneficially. 4-benzylpiperidine(sans 4-HO)is a dopamine stimulant but I'm not sure if that's relavent.

Last edited: