View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Trance music dead? :(

adf1234

Bluelighter
I know this probably belongs in another forum but i just want to ask the people at PD.

Ah... it pains me to even write this.... I remember many many years ago, i first did MDMA and fell in love with trance, listening to my first tracks like Gamemaster by lost tribe. Then moving on to such as shpongle and infected mushroom, *sigh* but now they just don't really do it for me anymore.

I want to ask PD, is trance music dead? I mean I think even IM and shpongle stopped making trance music, IM's new stuff is unlistenable and shpongle started out okay but now it just like meh........ Honestly, i used to love trance music, but now i find it kinda dull, now i just usually end up listening to some classical or something when i fly...

If anyone can recommend any trip music that will blow me away ide appreciate it :) For now ill just except that electronic music is dead :(.

Trance music was always bilge. PsyTrance has its moments. Electronic music is as healthy now as it has ever been - just spread your net a lil wider :)

Check out the Big & Dandy Music & Psyches thread - in between all the bleedin' Grateful Dead recommendations there is some truly amazing electronica to be found just as there always has been :)

Trance is what i started on in the early 2000's when i was like 11 or 12 and since then i've moved through as many categorgies as i could find.. and finally i found my niche.. i think that trance is a great starting spot for people and i think most people will eventually realize that there is a world of sound out there that is far more advanced and unique than trance..
but i still have a crate of records dedicated to my original passion which was trance..

a lot of rock music is becoming increasingly electronic and experimental in its influences. i highly suggest checking out "Halcyon Digest" by Deerhunter or "Veckitamest" by Grizzly Bear as examples of this. you might be surprised at just how damn trippy these albums are.

I think it has evolved, but in its original form it only seems to surface at psy-parties in my country. Of course it's also seen in the form of rave but I would never call Shpongle 'rave'. People I know who like psytrance are now more into dark ambient and other weird stuff. :) Nuclear Ramjet makes very broadly varying genres of music including psytrance, perhaps you can see in what directions it may be developing and see if you like any of those directions!

Above and Beyond

also

Markus Shultz

They are running the whole scene now, avoid the commercial Armin van Buren stuff though *shudder*

Oh I remember Gamemaster... :) must go look that up next time I'm on my PC.

I've not heard any good trance in a long time. As for PsyTrance, I don't mind Mushroom's newer stuff (although nothing they've released since could top Classical Mushroom), but other than that, the genre seems to have been abandoned.

What I have found is that there is still a lot of good electronica out there, but it's spread pretty widely. Consequencially, I have found myself listening to music I never would have, had the status quo been maintained: IDM, dark ambient, some of the lighter breakbeat...

A great place to start, I've found, is the threads here on BL - look the tracks up on YouTube, check out related videos or the artist's Last.fm page and go from there.

I know Richard Bedford who features on some of the Above and Beyond tracks. Went to college with him and he lives nearby. Really sorted guy actually. I hope their new single is a success!

i guess that's what they call losing of the magic... a man can never step into the same river twice... still if you learn how to float you can still find magic spots on the riverside every once in a while, you just have to watch the signs :D

I can assure you there is still good psy being made.

Tom Cosm
Wizack Twizack
Talpa's got a new album
There is more I'm just too lazy to look right now..

Oh yeah check out Artha

Last edited:
Agreed there is still some really exellent psytrance about but it just seems you have to look a bit harder to find it.

As for a trance recomendation look up 'flowjob' and their debut album 'support normality' pure morning psy goodness!!

yes, I did mean psy trance. i dunno why somewhere along the way i considered psy trance to be the only trance lol. regular trance music is too cheesy for me (that tiesto main stream stuff).

the impact that trance music (and other things :) ) have had on my life can't be measured. maybe thats why im so sad to be typing these words out. Shpongle and IM has given me some great times but they're old now and have shifted away from their roots, and the new age trance seems to have no structure to me.. just like some guy sat down with his fruity loops and put some random beats in there and called it music.

It just seemed like older trance tried to tell some epic story or just completely make you go crazy and dance that the newer stuff just doesn't reach. Or maybe i was delusional at the time :) I dunno, trance music is weird because for every great song out there, theres going to be a million of them that are completely whack. its just really hard to find and I guess Ive kinda given up and just going to let it find me. Who knows maybe 5 years from now ill hear some CRAZY shit ^^. Stay safe friends!

Last edited:
I know this probably belongs in another forum but i just want to ask the people at PD.

Ah... it pains me to even write this.... I remember many many years ago, i first did MDMA and fell in love with trance, listening to my first tracks like Gamemaster by lost tribe. Then moving on to such as shpongle and infected mushroom, *sigh* but now they just don't really do it for me anymore.

I want to ask PD, is trance music dead? I mean I think even IM and shpongle stopped making trance music, IM's new stuff is unlistenable and shpongle started out okay but now it just like meh........ Honestly, i used to love trance music, but now i find it kinda dull, now i just usually end up listening to some classical or something when i fly...

If anyone can recommend any trip music that will blow me away ide appreciate it :) For now ill just except that electronic music is dead :(.

I suggest Techno. Many of my current favorite producers are Swedish, such as Joel Mull, Cari Lekebusch, and Adam Beyer. Of course the genre was born in Detroit, and there are countless excellent US producers. Swedish techno is almost its own sub-genre, and others such as minimal, tech-house, acid techno (characterized by the Roland 303), etc.

I started with trance myself, but quickly board of it. To me Techno is more dynamic, less formulaic, and more experimental (good Techno that is). It's got a much darker edge than trance, and can produce intense driving hypnotic rhythms that just leave trance with a lot to be desired (imho).

Then there is IDM (stupid pretentious name), with much more experimental stuff like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Squarepusher, Kid 606. Most stuff on the Warp label. Some local Minneapolis guys to check out are Mr Projectile, Cepia, and Adam Johnson.

Yes I think electronic music is alive and well.

Menno de Jong has some good stuff

Check out Sjamman or Last light tonight... good stuff IMO

I prefer Above and Beyonds Melodic stuff, check out there Melodic Trance albums. :)

I can't stand trance i remember when it was the focus music at every rave now its more and more dubstep the focus of the night imo way way better and extremely tripy to listen to when frying

Man I wish someone would make some truly revolutionary electronic music that's nothing like anything that has come before... I guess Shpongle is kinda like that, but I would like to see something even more original.