• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tramadol Withdrawal Questions

jb98825

Greenlighter
Hey folks!

I've recently joined BL after lurking for a long time.

I started using Tramadol in mid 2019 following a painful experience at the dentist. Ibuprofen provided no relief and I was advised to try Tramadol. Ridiculous, I know. Foolishly I believed what I heard - it's a weak pain killer with low potential for addiction. I can't believe I'm coming up on four years of using now.

I started on 150-200 mg ER per day, and eventually up to 900 mg ER. I've started slow taper and I'm down to 800 mg ER now.

In fact, I tried to withdraw after just one month and experienced an unbelievable case of RLS and usual symptoms. I had numerous attempts since during Covid, all to no avail. It was far harder than I ever expected. I tried cold turkey which was just too much for me to bare.

Some people seem to have a bad reaction Tramadol. To be honest, it worked great for me, my body just reacts well to it. It gave me energy and a mood lift, and for some reason helped me tremendously with productivity at work. So much so that I've been promoted twice since using. It's obviously not the only factor, but the point is I still live a normal life and I'm not homeless on the street due to the problem. Though that certainly does not mean it's sustainable.

Also, its not the same anymore. I wake up exhausted, and I have to take pills first thing in morning and throughout the day. I have to always plan ahead when travelling or on business trips to make sure I'll have enough tablets too see me through. And my tolerance keep going up... I'm aware 900 mg is way to high for daily consumption. Thankfully, I never experienced seizures (yet). If I keep taking this drug, I know it won't end well for me.

No one is aware of my habit, not even my Fiancé who I'm extremely lucky to have in my life. We are getting married this year and we really want to have kids soon. I hate relying on this drug and I want it out of my life for good. It's going to have severe consequences on my health if I keep going this route.

Awful withdrawals are what stopped me from quitting before. I am going to be prepared this time. So I've started a slow taper reducing my dose by 10% every 3 weeks. I found a lot of fantastic information online and on BL regarding withdrawal preparations. I learnt about medicines like Imodium, Gabapebtin, Clonidine, etc can be a big help during with the painful first few days of withdrawals. I'm lucky enough to live in a country when I can easily access these medications, even the prescription ones. I also learnt about various vitamins and supplements to use like B-Complex, L-Theanine, etc.

RLS is by far the worst part of the acute withdrawals for me, followed by those bloody brain zaps.

QUESTIONS (Finally!)

1). If my withdrawals start to get really bad near the end of my taper, is it safe to take medications like Gabapentin or Clonidine while I'm still taking Tramadol? Or must I jump off completely before taking them?

2). Same question but for supplements? Can I take B-Complex, 5-HTP, L-Theanine, L-Tyrosine, etc. while I'm tapering and still taking Tramadol? Or is it important that I wait until I jump off first?

Any other tips are most welcome, especially with regards to dealing with Acute Withdrawals and PAWS after the first 1-2 weeks :-( I will certainly discuss my taper & withdrawal plan with my doctor too, but I like to get input from people who have actually experienced dealing with Tramadol and opiate withdrawals.

Sorry for the long post, but it's a big relief to get this off my chest, even if only online. BL has been a valuable resource for me.

Thank you and much love to everyone fighting their own battles, I wish you all the best ❤️

J

Last edited:
Hey folks!

I've recently joined BL after lurking for a long time.

I started using Tramadol in mid 2019 following a painful experience at the dentist. Ibuprofen provided no relief and I was advised to try Tramadol. Ridiculous, I know. Foolishly I believed what I heard - it's a weak pain killer with low potential for addiction. I can't believe I'm coming up on four years of using now.

I started on 150-200 mg ER per day, and eventually up to 900 mg ER. I've started slow taper and I'm down to 800 mg ER now.

In fact, I tried to withdraw after just one month and experienced an unbelievable case of RLS and usual symptoms. I had numerous attempts since during Covid, all to no avail. It was far harder than I ever expected. I tried cold turkey which was just too much for me to bare.

Some people seem to have a bad reaction Tramadol. To be honest, it worked great for me, my body just reacts well to it. It gave me energy and a mood lift, and for some reason helped me tremendously with productivity at work. So much so that I've been promoted twice since using. It's obviously not the only factor, but the point is I still live a normal life and I'm not homeless on the street due to the problem. Though that certainly does not mean it's sustainable.

Also, its not the same anymore. I wake up exhausted, and I have to take pills first thing in morning and throughout the day. I have to always plan ahead when travelling or on business trips to make sure I'll have enough tablets too see me through. And my tolerance keep going up... I'm aware 900 mg is way to high for daily consumption. Thankfully, I never experienced seizures (yet). If I keep taking this drug, I know it won't end well for me.

No one is aware of my habit, not even my Fiancé who I'm extremely lucky to have in my life. We are getting married this year and we really want to have kids soon. I hate relying on this drug and I want it out of my life for good. It's going to have severe consequences on my health if I keep going this route.

Awful withdrawals are what stopped me from quitting before. I am going to be prepared this time. So I've started a slow taper reducing my dose by 10% every 3 weeks. I found a lot of fantastic information online and on BL regarding withdrawal preparations. I learnt about medicines like Imodium, Gabapebtin, Clonidine, etc can be a big help during with the painful first few days of withdrawals. I'm lucky enough to live in a country when I can easily access these medications, even the prescription ones. I also learnt about various vitamins and supplements to use like B-Complex, L-Theanine, etc.

RLS is by far the worst part of the acute withdrawals for me, followed by those bloody brain zaps.

QUESTIONS (Finally!)

1). If my withdrawals start to get really bad near the end of my taper, is it safe to take medications like Gabapentin or Clonidine while I'm still taking Tramadol? Or must I jump off completely before taking them?

2). Same question but for supplements? Can I take B-Complex, 5-HTP, L-Theanine, L-Tyrosine, etc. while I'm tapering and still taking Tramadol? Or is it important that I wait until I jump off first?

Any other tips are most welcome, especially with regards to dealing with Acute Withdrawals and PAWS after the first 1-2 weeks :-( I will certainly discuss my taper & withdrawal plan with my doctor too, but I like to get input from people who have actually experienced dealing with tdl or other opiate withdrawals.

Sorry for the long post, but it's a big relief to get this off my chest, even if only online. BL has been a valuable resource for me.

Thank you and much love to everyone fighting their own battles, I wish you all the best ❤️

J
Firstly good on you for taking action on this. I know the withdrawals can be uncomfortable and scary but reducing slowly will help with all of that. I myself have come off tramadol although I never went over the 400mg dose (tramadol lowers seizure threshold and going over 400mg is incredibly dangerous). I tapered down by 50mg every week, the weeks that I felt bad withdrawals I just stalled the taper and when I had levelled out I dropped again. You may want to go slower of course but it's something you and your Dr should discuss.

You can take gabapentin when you've lowered your dose and are near to jumping off, same with clonidine (be aware though that combining these drugs with tramadol will increase the likelihood of side effects like dizziness etc so its something you need to discuss with your Dr).

I would suggest you do not take 5HTP as tramadol partly works as an SNRI (its why you feel brain zaps as part of the withdrawal) and there is a chance you could risk serotonin syndrome, although it's small, I still wouldn't risk it.

Definitely speak to your Dr about your taper and get their advice first. They will be able to help you with a taper schedule and also comfort meds that are safe to take.

Be prepared to feel shitty, it sucks but it does pass. Exercise is great for the mood and if you can get yourself out for a 30 min brisk walk even you'll feel all the better for it.

Best of luck with the taper and any questions or if you just want to vent BL is here.

Firstly good on you for taking action on this. I know the withdrawals can be uncomfortable and scary but reducing slowly will help with all of that. I myself have come off tramadol although I never went over the 400mg dose (tramadol lowers seizure threshold and going over 400mg is incredibly dangerous). I tapered down by 50mg every week, the weeks that I felt bad withdrawals I just stalled the taper and when I had levelled out I dropped again. You may want to go slower of course but it's something you and your Dr should discuss.

You can take gabapentin when you've lowered your dose and are near to jumping off, same with clonidine (be aware though that combining these drugs with tramadol will increase the likelihood of side effects like dizziness etc so its something you need to discuss with your Dr).

I would suggest you do not take 5HTP as tramadol partly works as an SNRI (its why you feel brain zaps as part of the withdrawal) and there is a chance you could risk serotonin syndrome, although it's small, I still wouldn't risk it.

Definitely speak to your Dr about your taper and get their advice first. They will be able to help you with a taper schedule and also comfort meds that are safe to take.

Be prepared to feel shitty, it sucks but it does pass. Exercise is great for the mood and if you can get yourself out for a 30 min brisk walk even you'll feel all the better for it.

Best of luck with the taper and any questions or if you just want to vent BL is here.
@MsDiz your message made my day, thank you. Very useful information!

Hi there!

If you have an understanding Dr or even better a Pharmacist to consult with re: interactions I would do this. Tramadol is a nasty synthetic opioid with a few added 'bonuses' as MsDiz states above the dose you are taking could induce seizure activity. I have no personal experience of Tramadol withdrawl as ive always dabbled with 'cleaner' pharma grade opiates and pain pills. Without sounding patronising your post possibly indicates you have little experience with the drug 'scene' and have unfortunately fallen into the world wide irresponsibly prescribed opiate crisis. Believe me pharma companies and prescribers are only beginning to understand the absolute catastrophe they have created by prescribing highly addictive drugs to people with pain with no plan on how or if to discontinue. People who's scripts are suddenly cut are often driven into seeking heroin or street level fixes. Personally I have taken drugs most of my life but mostly on a fun recreational level never to excess, never dependent - that is until I found opiates. The experience of being in the scene and the knowledge this furnished me with somewhat prepared me for opiate detox. To attempt this without prior knowledge and being innocent of drug seeking behaviour or intent - well to me sounds scary as anything.

When you tried to quit before how long did you last in withdrawal? It is the most horrible experience of my life on a par with the death of my parents. First it destroys you physically and then once your through the physical symptoms your left with a mental disaster zone. Yes you did great at work, you felt motivated and positive and had energy - so did I. Sadly those benefits have cost and now its time to pay.

It does get better it really does. Im on day 14 of detox and initially like around day 7 I would say every day I would feel about 10-15% better every new day. Now im on day 14 progress has slowed to less than 5% a day. But the point is every day you have to believe your getting closer to the person you once was and you will succeed with pure determination and stubborn refusal to relapse. Tramadol half life is pretty short hence I would imagine you are dosing multiple times a day. The benefit of this may be that your detox occurs a little quicker. I would plan ahead and take at least 2-3 weeks off work. Going back to work too early will trigger you into more pills to cope/be productive ect - give yourself time. If you search my other posts I left some advice for acute withdrawal a few days ago.

Your partner.... Do you live with her? Would she understand your problems? As I said your post indicates to me firstly that your a victim of irresponsible prescribing. This situation does't sound like its your fault. Support from her may really help you get through this and it may also help to get some baggage off your chest. My partner has helped me enormously and probably saved my life.

Just lastly I would suggest purely from personal experience that tapering prolongs withdrawl. If you are successfully managing to reduce your dose with manageable symptoms then thats fantastic - keep going. Personally as soon as I tried to taper I would be in withdrawl and I just didn't have the mental strength to endure it knowing I could reach out and feel instantly better by taking more. I had to cut everything all at once having rid my entire life of pills and the ability to acquire them. Not everyone has this ability I appreciate but I did and have taken that step.

Anyhow good luck and well done for recognising your predicament - I honestly wish you the best

WOF