• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol to help get off Tapentadol?

justdifferent

Greenlighter
Sorry may have accidentally posted twice. Basic question was -seen Ng that Tramadol doesn't cause physical dependence on me personally (I know it does in some people) - would it mitigate w/d from Tapentadol? Is this a dumb idea?

idunno but i can state this, Fuuuuuck tramadol. that shit aint worth the time it takes you to swallow it but i am pretty bias having taken a rediculous dose and getting the worst nausea of my life
- don't take more than 400mg if you even bother. and make sure you know that it can induce seizures past 400mg, i'm only alive today because of taking it alongside 20-30k gabapentin and kpins

idunno but i can state this, Fuuuuuck tramadol. that shit aint worth the time it takes you to swallow it but i am pretty bias having taken a rediculous dose and getting the worst nausea of my life
- don't take more than 400mg if you even bother. and make sure you know that it can induce seizures past 400mg, i'm only alive today because of taking it alongside 20-30k gabapentin and kpins
Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe I should ask for good old codeine instead. I know codeine is supposedly bad to w/d frobut in my experience its not a big deal- just diarrhoea for a couple of days. Course by way of disclaimer should add that's just me-some people get bad codeine w/de

Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe I should ask for good old codeine instead. I know codeine is supposedly bad to w/d frobut in my experience its not a big deal- just diarrhoea for a couple of days. Course by way of disclaimer should add that's just me-some people get bad codeine w/de

Codeine is the weakest opiate, so should have the mildest withdrawal, but you have to factor in a combination of how MUCH you were taking with how LONG you were taking it.

idunno
Codeine is the weakest opiate, so should have the mildest withdrawal, but you have to factor in a combination of how MUCH you were taking with how LONG you were taking it.
this. buuut at the same time ive basically been prescribed codeine since i was about 14, in my experience i never had an issue when i ran out of a script for codeine, plus with a ceiling dose of 400mg (for most people, meaning after 400 you don't get anymore effects mostly down to that the liver can't process more than 400 mg codeine into morphine at that point but everyone is different) i won't ever say you can't get wd but to say that its anything comparable to 4x100mg morphine + 30mg oxy and 9 hydromorphone would be quite a joke in comparison, come to think of it, i never noticed having codeine withdrawal but i was also an extremely heavy good hash smoker up until 3 years ago (1.5-3grams/day) so that might have somthing to do with any possible wd going unnoticed but codeine was at the start of my pain issues, when i didn't have chronic pain from the moment i wake up till the moment i finally fall asleep very effective at treating it, i still take codeine but don't really regard them as much anymore since the whole months rx doesn't make up 1/4 of one days meds at this point

i will warn that, if you use codeine everytime you have an ache, it is extremely habit forming in that way, and you may not be 'addicted' but certainly 'dependent' on it with time. i wouldn't bother worrying about codeine wd though, its not as physically taxing or near mentally as harder opiates, i know if you're from the UK you can but dhc/codeine over the counter, which you also sort of can do the same here in canada but they put like 8mg codeine into a pill mixed with tylenol so you essentially have to CWE a half box worth to get a decent 100-120mg but then they also add in caffeine depending what you buy, to essentially 'counter' the opiate effect, to what point thats effective, not the person to ask.

idunno

this. buuut at the same time ive basically been prescribed codeine since i was about 14, in my experience i never had an issue when i ran out of a script for codeine, plus with a ceiling dose of 400mg (for most people, meaning after 400 you don't get anymore effects mostly down to that the liver can't process more than 400 mg codeine into morphine at that point but everyone is different) i won't ever say you can't get wd but to say that its anything comparable to 4x100mg morphine + 30mg oxy and 9 hydromorphone would be quite a joke in comparison, come to think of it, i never noticed having codeine withdrawal but i was also an extremely heavy good hash smoker up until 3 years ago (1.5-3grams/day) so that might have somthing to do with any possible wd going unnoticed but codeine was at the start of my pain issues, when i didn't have chronic pain from the moment i wake up till the moment i finally fall asleep very effective at treating it, i still take codeine but don't really regard them as much anymore since the whole months rx doesn't make up 1/4 of one days meds at this point

i will warn that, if you use codeine everytime you have an ache, it is extremely habit forming in that way, and you may not be 'addicted' but certainly 'dependent' on it with time. i wouldn't bother worrying about codeine wd though, its not as physically taxing or near mentally as harder opiates, i know if you're from the UK you can but dhc/codeine over the counter, which you also sort of can do the same here in canada but they put like 8mg codeine into a pill mixed with tylenol so you essentially have to CWE a half box worth to get a decent 100-120mg but then they also add in caffeine depending what you buy, to essentially 'counter' the opiate effect, to what point thats effective, not the person to ask.

I don't really "do" codeine. If I'm all out of opiates and ill, sometimes one my grandparents (both still living take 30mg Codeine Phosphates) my give me a strip of codeine (no tylenol) and if I take like 120mg every 4 hours or so it takes the edge of the withdrawal.

I usually take Dihydrocodeine (2-2.5 x stronger than codeine...it's more euphoric and causes less histaminergic side effects too). It's not one of the strong opiates, being 1/5-1/4 the stength of morphine, but I tend to take about 600mg/day and I get VERY bad withdrawal from it. I have been on one opioid or another for 8 years without a break down, though (various doses of various opiates).

Are you sure about the 400mg thing? I see people on here taking up to 1200mg all the time.

I dunno how anyone does it. Before I ever even thought to abuse an opiate, I was on codeine and couldn't sleep. I remember the codeine made me sleepy so I took about 300mg so I'd sleep (I was really naive about medications etc). All of a sudden I skin was so HOT, really burning and I was bleeding all over from writhing at my skin, the itching unbearable. My eyes felt really puffy and when I looked in a mirror my face was all swollen. I was suddenly really weak, too and lay down on my bedroom floor and had to shout of my parents to call an ambulance because "I think I took too much codeine". My blood pressure was so low, I couldn't even sit up; I was pinned to the floor.
I remember in the ambulance they told my mum my blood pressure was 56/32 and that they had BROUGHT IT UP TO THAT.
So yeah, I'm not codeines biggest fan haha.
I'm still not sure if I OD'd, had a bad reaction to it, or both.

Last edited:
so to the OP, I haven't read the other replies since I'm in a little hurry because I got work soon. but the response is no, tapentadol is said to mimic only the effects of one of the metabolites of tramadol, that being o-dsmt (o-desmethyltramadol) and it iis said that it has way less SNRI activity than tramadol, so in that case if you get stuck on it you will be addicted to a SNRI AND an opiate, far worse.

@ChemicallyEnhanced that 400 thing is real, I got to 1200+ with 7 years of tolerance, as I have stated people had seizures from 150mg, 300mg etc close friends of mine, so it's always a possibility, I'm one in a milion aka a lucky motherfcker that is not seizure prone, tramadol doesn't have a ceiling like codeine, I got experience with literally every opiod available in the UE, so I know the one of the codeine, but tramadol doesn't have one, if you didn't state that there is a ceilling I'm sorry I am really in a hurry and maybe misread your post :))))

so for all the people tolerant or non tolerant, never exceed 400 mg throughout a day, and for the OP you got the response in the first pharagraph.

so to the OP, I haven't read the other replies since I'm in a little hurry because I got work soon. but the response is no, tapentadol is said to mimic only the effects of one of the metabolites of tramadol, that being o-dsmt (o-desmethyltramadol) and it iis said that it has way less SNRI activity than tramadol, so in that case if you get stuck on it you will be addicted to a SNRI AND an opiate, far worse.

@ChemicallyEnhanced that 400 thing is real, I got to 1200+ with 7 years of tolerance, as I have stated people had seizures from 150mg, 300mg etc close friends of mine, so it's always a possibility, I'm one in a milion aka a lucky motherfcker that is not seizure prone, tramadol doesn't have a ceiling like codeine, I got experience with literally every opiod available in the UE, so I know the one of the codeine, but tramadol doesn't have one, if you didn't state that there is a ceilling I'm sorry I am really in a hurry and maybe misread your post :))))

so for all the people tolerant or non tolerant, never exceed 400 mg throughout a day, and for the OP you got the response in the first pharagraph.

Sorry, I meant codeine when I was talking about the 400mg thing. I was asking about the ceiling effect. I used to take up to 1200mg of Tramadol, too. Never had a seizure or anything from it either and I AM seizure prone (get them really easily from benzo or alcohol WD...not even cold turkey, just if I decrease too much).

no problem, I was thinking that you meant that about codeine, the dhc or codeine would really be a more ok alternative for the op than trams anyway.

W
no problem, I was thinking that you meant that about codeine, the dhc or codeine would really be a more ok alternative for the op than trams anyway.
ell, to change subject slightly, in the end my GP preferred to give me Tramadol rather than codeine...sooooo tired now but the bottle of wine I sunk with lunch accounts for that I guess!

Tramadol is a weaker version of Tap essentially, but has more SNRI effects.

Tramadol does have a ceiling for OPIOD EFFECTS, I have to correct you, sorry but it does. It's. Beyond

the seizure threshold.

Codeine would have been better for you, but you can taper off tram. Just do it low and slow. Hope that helps

idunno

what planet are you from ?. ?.

that is so truthful.

h7LfXOA.jpg

I don't really "do" codeine. If I'm all out of opiates and ill, sometimes one my grandparents (both still living take 30mg Codeine Phosphates) my give me a strip of codeine (no tylenol) and if I take like 120mg every 4 hours or so it takes the edge of the withdrawal.

I usually take Dihydrocodeine (2-2.5 x stronger than codeine...it's more euphoric and causes less histaminergic side effects too). It's not one of the strong opiates, being 1/5-1/4 the stength of morphine, but I tend to take about 600mg/day and I get VERY bad withdrawal from it. I have been on one opioid or another for 8 years without a break down, though (various doses of various opiates).

Are you sure about the 400mg thing? I see people on here taking up to 1200mg all the time.

I dunno how anyone does it. Before I ever even thought to abuse an opiate, I was on codeine and couldn't sleep. I remember the codeine made me sleepy so I took about 300mg so I'd sleep (I was really naive about medications etc). All of a sudden I skin was so HOT, really burning and I was bleeding all over from writhing at my skin, the itching unbearable. My eyes felt really puffy and when I looked in a mirror my face was all swollen. I was suddenly really weak, too and lay down on my bedroom floor and had to shout of my parents to call an ambulance because "I think I took too much codeine". My blood pressure was so low, I couldn't even sit up; I was pinned to the floor.
I remember in the ambulance they told my mum my blood pressure was 56/32 and that they had BROUGHT IT UP TO THAT.
So yeah, I'm not codeines biggest fan haha.
I'm still not sure if I OD'd, had a bad reaction to it, or both.
yeah after 400mg and it does depend on the person too ofc, but past 400, the rate at which is metabolised to morph is drastically reduced, so theyre probably getting 1-2mg instead of 5mg/30mg after that, and less the more you take, opiates can cause sudden bp drop specially oxy, i havent ever experienced that side effect but it depends on a few factors and my brain isn't functioning right now so to speak or id probably be able to list them but i've got some bigger issues in my life that i need to solve right now which would be alot fucking easier if my cell wasn't broken because i need someone to front shit to my mom because godfucking damnit, she didn't listen, and is in severe wd which i fixed her up with a hefty oxy/hydro dose and some loperamide but thats temporary and i need her to go to the fucking physio tmrw and do it or else the fucking surgery may have been for nothing because he knee'll lock up and then she'll get blood clots, as you can imagine i'm beyond stressed right now, and if my phone wasn't fucking broken id have had bags and bags of meds brought over for her already but alass fuck.
stressed, wish me luck before i implode, probably would have already if i didn't eat some kpins and ops

Hey thanks everyone...it's only the first day of tapering off Tapentadol but so far I've only had100 mgs (usually by now I'd be about to take another 100 mgs). The Tramadol is definitely helping. It's pretty lame on its own in my experience but it seems to work better as a painkiller if it's combined with the Tapentadol. ...

So you are mixing the two? You should taper off of tap more rapidly then

Yeah I've halved the Tapentadol today and taken instead Tramadol, and so far no w/ds at all. Have noticed, in fact, that Tramadol seems to provide better pain relief combined with some Tapentadol than either Tapentadol or Tramadol on their own. Tapentadol is definitely more euphoric, but wears off quickly:Tramadol on its own never does much for me at all. But Tramadol on top of (less) Tapentadol seems to prolong actual analgesia and in general has given me a slight lift. Of course Tramadol is such a weird drug in that reactions to it vary a lot from person to person, so this might not work for everyone. And of course my general goal is meant to be getting off Tapentadol altogether. Still it's good to have been able to halve my dose without putti
Hey thanks everyone...it's only the first day of tapering off Tapentadol but so far I've only had100 mgs (usually by now I'd be about to take another 100 mgs). The Tramadol is definitely helping. It's pretty lame on its own in my experience but it seems to work better as a painkiller if it's combined with the Tapentadol. ...
So you are mixing the two? You should taper off of tap more rapidly then
yeah, I was doing well on 100 mgs (usually have at least 200mgs Tapentadol every days since fractured knee/surgery) and felt fine on Tramadol. But now I'm cross with myself because in a "what the hell moment" I took another 50 mg Tapentadol pretty much just for fun. Or to mitigate loneliness, anxiety, etc. Broke knee in DV incident and am recovering in women's shelter- everyone very nice, but all the same feeling "lonely in the crowd".
Oh well. 150 mgs Tapentadol is still better than 200 or 250 mgs which is my usual: tomorrow I'll try again to manage on 100mgs with Tramadol substitute. Luckily Tramadol has never caused a physical dependence in me, even when taken for long periods. But I know some people get w/d from Tramadol. It's such a weird drug.

Yeah, it can cause opioid and SNRI withdrawal, so don't abuse it. Glad it's helping :)

It doesn't have a ceilling for me then, trust me i've been using it for 7 years, no offense, but I know my body

This goes without saying but please be careful.

Tramadol is a sneaky lil b!+©#. It can affect you at one moment when you didn't think it did before. And of course you don't want to skip from one addiction to another. Good luck.

It doesn't have a ceilling for me then, trust me i've been using it for 7 years, no offense, but I know my body

Maybe your an ultra rapid metabolizer, but the ceiling is 500-1000mg. Beyond that a normal persons liber cannot process it.

It's just a medical fact. , but a small % have ultra rapid 2D metabolism, maybe you fall in this group

And only the opioid effects have a ceiling, not the AD effects