Tramadol to combat Hydro....help

Lost45

Greenlighter
Injured and re injured knee...then shoulder ...several times. Started 5 years back...always liked Hydro for pain...but then I kept using and didn't even know why for a year. Nothing crazy one or 2- 5mg a day..then my tolerance increased and so did my use. Most recently needing about 10-10mg to just make it thru the day feeling "normal"....
3 days ago I was running out...and in a panic...I had a large left over bottle of tramadol I never used and had read it could help with withdrawl...so I have been using it...and cut down to 2-10mg Hydro (just in the morning) I'm not even craving the Hydro now...IM CRAVING THE Tramadol. I guess I'm one of the lucky people that experience a decent high-as some call it- from Tramadol. Initially I was taking it to combat the pain,real pain, from stopping Hydro...now I'm high on Tramadol and saw my use increase yesterday from 150mg to 250mg through out the day-spaced out- and kept this feeling til I went to bed...
I feel totally screwed...I never meant for this to happen.

Find a good doc or pain management clinic (ask your friends) and be honest with them. They will help you taper down so you don't lose your mind. If that won't work, start to taper the Tramadol today. Just a little at a time and the next thing you know, you're done. Some Kratom will help with symptoms. Let us know how you are doing.

LV

Tramadol is an opioid medication as well, so it sounds like you just replaced one opioid for another opioid.

Tapering down is the smoothest way to get off of opiates/opioids. Going cold turkey isn't highly recommended especially if you are medicating for a legitimate reason.

Your going to be in some pain either way but at least with a taper you will be able to minimize the WD symptoms and be able to get your dosage under control. It takes a lot of self-control and discipline, which is why some people end up going cold turkey. It's extremely hard to stick to a taper when you start experiencing cravings and withdrawals, but it can be done.

It's important to accept the possibility of multiple failures without making excuses. A lot of people don't succeed the first few time but you can't allow yourself to give up.

Hey Lost45,

How are you doing? Worried about you. Let us know what's going on with you.

LV

Awful....I just flip back and forth ..Tram to Hydro...failing miserably. Making appointment to doctor next week. Had death in family so me making appt has been delayed. On the meds I'm fine.. but want off.. off the meds I'm miserable mentally and physically....

You just need some more stability in terms of managing your condition. While opening up to doctors about misuse of medication is generally best avoided, if you can convey the need for stability when it comes to the right meds to manage your condition, such as regarding your mental health and overall wellbeing, and get help with this from your doctor you’ll be way better off than just self medicating willy nilly.

If you need stability and pain management long term, look into methadone or XR morphine and possibly a short acting lower dose break through med for pain. Keep in mind there are lots of other medications that can help with pain, from gabaergics to gabapentinoids to antidepressants to NMDA antagonists.

How long did it take for your tolerance and dependency on hydrocodone/opioids take to get to the point you’re needing 100mg of hydrocodone a day to maintain? Have you been getting this stuff from a doctor or other means? Whether or not opioids are appropriate for your condition I can really say without knowing more about your history, but if you feel you need them truly then definitely look into longer acting stuff like methadone.

I’ve been on tramadol for 8yrs now. Prescribed and not prescribed. It’s very hard to come off of. The withdrawals are horrible so I’m just starting to use Kratom to wean off of the tramadol. There’s nothing like a good opiate buzz though. Kratom will still deliver that ‘fun/uplifting’ feeling but from a safer point of view I guess. Still can be habit forming, but IMO the lesser of the evils. Good luck to you my friend ��